Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for hand quilters. . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-hand-quilters-t114698.html)

be a quilter 04-09-2011 04:07 AM

I have 2 questions. Do you use starch if you are a hand quilter? I can see that starch would make things easier but I am afraid I won't be able to hand quilt the piece if I use it.

and, Do you use steam when you press your seams?

These may be silly questions but I am trying to get through this learning process of quilting and I haven't seen the answers to these two questions. Thank you for any help.

gal288 04-09-2011 04:20 AM

Yes & yes, I use sizing instead of spray starch, doesn't build up as much. I use a burst of steam to set my seams.

I have not found it interferes with hand quilting, I use a new needle & change the needle often to keep a sharp point.

be a quilter 04-09-2011 04:56 AM

Thank you! Is it called sizing and is it a spray?

NJ Quilter 04-09-2011 07:19 AM

I also use starch and steam. I don't think I've ever ironed anything without steam! I use starch vs. sizing, although I have used sizing as well. I saw a thread on another board a while ago that I 'think' said that sizing was for polyesther blends and starch was for cottons...could be wrong on that issue but might be worth googling if you're interested. But I have never found that it interferes with my hand quilting. Both are sprays.

cuppi duke 04-09-2011 07:24 AM

I don't use either and I have no problems. I don't use steam because of the stretching issue, especially if you have any bias edges. My grandmother taught me to hand quilt and she never used starch so I just never did. I don't know what the advantage would be but then I have never tried it either.

merrylouw 04-09-2011 07:39 AM

No and yes!
I like my fabric nice and soft for hand quilting, therefore, no starch. You didn't ask, but I usually prewash my fabrics if I'm going to be handquilting; again, for softness.
I use steam because I think it sets the seams better.

Have fun!!!

Jo M 04-09-2011 07:52 AM

I also use sizing and steam to set the seams. Never had a problem.

Originally Posted by gal288
Yes & yes, I use sizing instead of spray starch, doesn't build up as much. I use a burst of steam to set my seams.

I have not found it interferes with hand quilting, I use a new needle & change the needle often to keep a sharp point.

joyplace 04-09-2011 08:00 AM

Hi: I am a hand quilter and do machine piecing.......Yes, I use the sizing starch.........I get mine from the Dollar Tree........Just a little spray will do the job........Sure is a big help especially if you are working with half or quarter square triangle. I spray BEFORE I cut. Hope all these answers from the board members will be of help to you.

Happy Quilting
Joyplace

LAB55 04-09-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jo M
I also use sizing and steam to set the seams. Never had a problem.

Originally Posted by gal288

This what I do also. I get sizing from Dollar Tree, I use it alot.
:D :wink:

Kitsie 04-09-2011 08:16 AM

Thanks for asking this! Just starting the hand-quilting journey, too!

There are no silly, or dumb questions here! Many other members want to know, too but didn't think to ask!

You're being helpful!