Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question for hand quilters. . .

Blog Entries
    I have 2 questions. Do you use starch if you are a hand quilter? I can see that starch would make things easier but I am afraid I won't be able to hand quilt the piece if I use it.

and, Do you use steam when you press your seams?

These may be silly questions but I am trying to get through this learning process of quilting and I haven't seen the answers to these two questions. Thank you for any help.

Blog Entries
    Yes & yes, I use sizing instead of spray starch, doesn't build up as much. I use a burst of steam to set my seams.

I have not found it interferes with hand quilting, I use a new needle & change the needle often to keep a sharp point.

Blog Entries
    Thank you! Is it called sizing and is it a spray?

I also use starch and steam. I don't think I've ever ironed anything without steam! I use starch vs. sizing, although I have used sizing as well. I saw a thread on another board a while ago that I 'think' said that sizing was for polyesther blends and starch was for cottons...could be wrong on that issue but might be worth googling if you're interested. But I have never found that it interferes with my hand quilting. Both are sprays.

I don't use either and I have no problems. I don't use steam because of the stretching issue, especially if you have any bias edges. My grandmother taught me to hand quilt and she never used starch so I just never did. I don't know what the advantage would be but then I have never tried it either.

No and yes!
    I like my fabric nice and soft for hand quilting, therefore, no starch. You didn't ask, but I usually prewash my fabrics if I'm going to be handquilting; again, for softness.
    I use steam because I think it sets the seams better.

Have fun!!!

I also use sizing and steam to set the seams. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    Yes & yes, I use sizing instead of spray starch, doesn't build up as much. I use a burst of steam to set my seams.

I have not found it interferes with hand quilting, I use a new needle & change the needle often to keep a sharp point.

Hi: I am a hand quilter and do machine piecing.......Yes, I use the sizing starch.........I get mine from the Dollar Tree........Just a little spray will do the job........Sure is a big help especially if you are working with half or quarter square triangle. I spray BEFORE I cut. Hope all these answers from the board members will be of help to you.

Happy Quilting
    Joyplace

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo M
    I also use sizing and steam to set the seams. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gal288

This what I do also. I get sizing from Dollar Tree, I use it alot.
    :D :wink:

Blog Entries
    Thanks for asking this! Just starting the hand-quilting journey, too!

There are no silly, or dumb questions here! Many other members want to know, too but didn't think to ask!

You're being helpful!

I don't do either one...either.
    Why not give it a try both ways and see what works best for you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your input ladies! It appears to be the same answer for most things, lol. Some do, some don't. I am finding that it is like most things, a matter of personal preference. When I started I was afraid to do anything, sure I would do it all wrong, but am finding out that it comes down to what works best for each person is the best way to do it.
    At least I don't worry about every little detail anymore. lol

I am a hand quilter, and I have learn, go by what feels good !! You will know throu trial & era !
    I use Magic Sizing,love it !! + it's cheap !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by be a quilter
    Thanks for all your input ladies! It appears to be the same answer for most things, lol. Some do, some don't. I am finding that it is like most things, a matter of personal preference. When I started I was afraid to do anything, sure I would do it all wrong, but am finding out that it comes down to what works best for each person is the best way to do it.
    At least I don't worry about every little detail anymore. lol
    That is the way to be ! :D :thumbup: I use to be sooo picky on myself & I didn't enjoy what I did, now it doesn't have to be perfect ! As long as I am happy with it that is what counts !
    :D :D