Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for longarmers with Tin Lizzy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-longarmers-tin-lizzy-t297147.html)

lisalovesquilting 05-24-2018 04:16 PM

Question for longarmers with Tin Lizzy

What brand of thread do you feel works best with your machine? Is it cotton or poly? Also, have you used Elchel or Salus thread? Did you like it? Thanks

GEMRM 05-24-2018 05:11 PM

I have a Pfaff P3 which is essentially a Tin Lizzy with a Pfaff label. I use Connecting Threads cotton and cotton/poly almost exclusively. It works well.

DACO48 05-24-2018 06:57 PM

I have a friend with a Tin Lizzie, I know she uses prefilled bobbins and Superior Thread. Don' know wt. It looks nice as she has quilted 3 or 4 quilts for me.

PaperPrincess 05-25-2018 10:19 AM

I had a Viking branded Tin Lizzie. The thing I really liked about it was that it would take any thread. 40 wt, 50, 60 70, metallics, really anything! I just matched the needle size to the thread, used a 16 with the thinner weights. I also matched the bobbin thread to the top thread (except when using metallics). I got an additional bobbin case and set one for 40 weight, and used the other for thinner threads. This is how I set the tension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Although I used all different brands, I usually used Connecting threads Polyester Pro or their essential cotton.

Christine- 05-25-2018 09:14 PM

I have a Tin Lizzie Ansley 26 and use any type of thread with no trouble. I've had it 6 years and have tried most brands.

glassnquilts 05-26-2018 02:47 AM

I have used King Tut in the past but the easiest thread I have ever used is Glide. It seldom breaks, has a sheen and works well with tension.

Rff1010 01-10-2023 02:45 PM

Hello all - I realize this is an old thread -- but I just bought a "new to me" Tin Lizzy 18 DLS. I'm stupid/ dizzy excited. I didnt expect to be ready for a longarm for a good number of years but the eBay listing came up and it was *insanely* cheap (so cheap, I'm wondering what the catch is -- but sometimes you just have to leap).

Yes, I checked with the hubster first -- one does not buy a 10 ft sewing machine without some consulting.

I've been browsing the YouTubes and while there are videos -- they all seem to be 8+ years. So I'm guessing its an older machine. Im expecting a certain amount of learning-while-playing.

Anyway, I accept any and all advice -- lets start with what thread, what needles and where to buy? Do I need oil? What kind?

Send advice, good lucks and … um... pictures of cats?

mkc 01-10-2023 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 (Post 8584615)
Hello all - I realize this is an old thread -- but I just bought a "new to me" Tin Lizzy 18 DLS. I'm stupid/ dizzy excited. I didnt expect to be ready for a longarm for a good number of years but the eBay listing came up and it was *insanely* cheap (so cheap, I'm wondering what the catch is -- but sometimes you just have to leap).

The catch is that Tin Lizzy went out of business a few years ago. Parts are essentially unobtainium. One of the family members started Locksmith Lizzy, which is similar, but they don't support the old machines.

Still Sew N 01-11-2023 05:11 AM

I have the Janome Artistic SD 18 which I've been told is a Tin Lizzie. I use Glide thread and have the best luck. The website - Terryloy.com also has the best price for Glide thread. For issues with your machines, here is a great source:
Ammon Floyd - Floyd's Sewing Repair - 2263 West 7800 South - West Jordan UT 84088 - PHONE: 801-255-4130. I'm told he is grandson/great grandson to the man who invented the Tin Lizzie. At any rate, I've had great conversations with them and they have been able to help with advice or parts. I have really enjoyed my Artistic and take care of it. I've owned this machine for over 7 years and I use it heavily. I have every reason to believe I have years and years ahead of me.

SallyS 01-11-2023 08:21 AM

Glide thread! No problems with it and a great color selection. My machine is 12 years old, lightly used, but there when I want it. It's not computerized, but does free motion beautifully.