Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on making Warm Wishes quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-making-warm-wishes-quilt-t16913.html)

auntluc 02-25-2009 07:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
If you have cut your strips correctly and you are sewing two 2" strips to the 3" strip... the only way you can end up with 5 1/2" is if your seams aren't 1/4".
Lay out your strips...you should have a total of 7" before seams.
After your first seam your strip should measure 4 1/2".
When you sew your last strip on the block should measure 6".

Sorry the pics didn't come out in the order sent.

After sewing your last seam, you should end up with a 6" block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25213[/ATTACH]

You should have 7" total with your 3 strips.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25587[/ATTACH]

After the first seam you will have a 4 1/2" strip.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25588[/ATTACH]

MollieSue 02-25-2009 08:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, here are some pictures. I just spot checked my seam allowances, 1/4", there were a few just literally a hair width over. I had spot checked several pieces while I was cutting with my new gadget and they were all correct.

I'm going to have to put this aside, and start again with some old fabric and see how it works, being much more aware of my allowances and widths. I've just never had a problem before, with seams matching, so it's kind of blown me away! I was tickled pink, cutting strips like crazy with the new thingy I got, sewing them all togther.... then ooops. I love this pattern, have seen all the different ways you all have done it, so I'm going to master it yet!

This tool material I got off equilter.com for my grandson, as his folks just totally remodeled a house, and he was heavily into 'tools' after it. :D

MollieSue 02-25-2009 08:34 AM

Grammy Dwynn - Dumb question - I've seen 'scant 1/4"' before in patterns, how much is a scant? Just a hair width?
And thank you Auntluc for the pictures! I'll be going back to them for comparison as I try again with this!
:D

Marcia 02-25-2009 08:41 AM

Diana--usually a "scant" quarter inch is a thread or two less than a "real" quarter inch.

MollieSue 02-25-2009 08:59 AM

Thanks Marcia!

conblond2005 02-25-2009 09:01 AM

My pattern for warm wishes is 3 strips up and then 3 strips to the right. All strips 2 ". The next row changes. 3 strips to the right then 3 strips up. The last one I made the strips only 4 inch squares on all of it. It was the pink one for cancer if you saw it last week. I put a 6 inch border on it of pink ribbon fabric. It has been quilted and bound now but I don't have it from the quilters yet to send a picture but I'll get one some time next week. It really turned out nice.

Rox17 02-25-2009 09:16 AM

Looks to me like it needs pressed. You would probably have 6 inches if you pressed the seams out.

btty 02-25-2009 09:28 AM

your two outside strips will only have one seam so will measure 1 1/4 inch each after sewing to the middle strip which will have two seams and measure 2 1/2 inches after sewing. you will end up with a 6 inch square which will be the same size as the solid square.

auntluc 02-25-2009 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by btty
your two outside strips will only have one seam so will measure 1 1/4 inch each after sewing to the middle strip which will have two seams and measure 2 1/2 inches after sewing. you will end up with a 6 inch square which will be the same size as the solid square.

Diana... it looks like you have cut your strips correctly and your 1/4" seam looks good to me. I agree with Rox17....press that baby and see if that helps.
After sewing and pressing your seams, your 2 outside pieces should measure 1 3/4" wide and the middle strip should measure 2 1/2" wide.
Pressing those seams before you join them to the 6" blocks will give you much better results.

By the way....I love the tool fabric.

MollieSue 02-25-2009 06:53 PM

Auntluc, I hate to say it, but it was pressed. lol!!! I know from the pictures of everyones quilts, some look totally flat, "crisp" looking. I have no idea how you all press them so well! Am I not leaving the iron on it long enough?
I'm going to start over fresh on the pattern tomorrow. I'm going to master it do or die! lol!! I've made other quilts, stuffed animal dolls, my daughter's high school dance dresses, you name it. But doing this pattern, I feel as if I've never sewn before! lol!!!!
:D :D