Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question from my grandma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-my-grandma-t185709.html)

Quilt Mom 04-14-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by fred singer (Post 5133806)
wow I'll have to remember that information for some reason I was thinking cold salt water

Cold salt wate will set a dye. I would assume it will do the same for blood.

Christine- 04-14-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel (Post 5139781)
Your own salvia works, I've used it many times.

This is the best solution for small bits of blood. Saliva's job is to break down food, it will dissolve the blood quickly. I do this with my children's clothing, etc. Spitting on your quilt is best done with no one looking, you will get strange looks... unless you're sitting with other quilters. :)

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 04-14-2012 12:43 PM

I have always had success with using the saliva of the person whose blood it is that stained the fabric... My kids used to think I was weird asking them to put some of their saliva on a q-tip or cotton ball but it worked every time. I have also used a diluted peroxide solution of half water and half peroxide on a q-tip and worked it into the area. Make sure you rinse well with a q-tip dipped in straight water after you get the spot out. Peroxide is hard on fabric. Good luck to your grandma. Hope she is well and out of the hospital soon.

Mazda 04-14-2012 12:46 PM

I have heard to use peroxide.

You are a very sweet Granddaughter!

Andrea 04-15-2012 10:59 AM

For small blood spots coming from your own pricked finger, use your own saliva to rub them out. It has something to do with identical enzymes. I have tried it and it works!

JustAbitCrazy 04-15-2012 02:19 PM

Take it from someone whose job involved getting splashed with blood---always cold water, with NO soap. Keep running it under cold water and rubbing the fabric against itself, or use a nail brush or toothbrush to rub it. If that doesn't work, soak it overnight with cold water (no soap) and try rubbing again. If there is still a faint stain, then try the diluted peroxide as previously explained. Be sure to rinse well immediately. It's not ruined, but it may take some work. Good luck!

Rosie the "Ripper" 04-15-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter (Post 5134795)
When I first got into quilting it was suggested to keep about 12" of thread in your mouth---if you do get blood on your project--put the little wet ball on it and it will be gone. I have used this method and it had worked every time.
Jan

In the old days, women always had a piece of thread in their mouth while they were patching, embroidering, and even spinning wool. They kept it there for this exact reason. I read about this years ago when I was in high school and I am now in my sixties so it is a very old remedy.

jojo47 04-23-2012 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late (Post 5138731)
The best thing I have ever used to remove any body fluids from fabric is Vivid! Not everyone carries it but Wal-Mart does. It's in a yellow bottle with a blue lid. Have driven miles for this stuff. I swear by it. Even removed old baby formula from old old clothes. Works wonders on any human type stuff!

I agree about Vivid...adn it's true not everyone carries it. I do stock up if and when I can find it. I've also used OxyClean successfully, and of course, hydrogen peroxide.