Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-quilters-multiple-sewing-machines-t132131.html)

jitkaau 06-22-2011 03:03 AM

I use all of them - usually at the same time and they are set up for specific functions with the idea that I don't have to re - thread all of the time.

luv2so 06-22-2011 03:09 AM

Not all of mine are just sewing. I have several that are sewing/embroidery, just two are sewing only. Then I have a serger, blindhemmer, coverstitch and embellisher.

cairns 06-22-2011 03:40 AM

I have two machines. I still have my Viking D1 and I also have a
Viking Diamond. I take the D1 to classes because it is a little
lighter. I also can emb. and sew at the same time. And if one is
in repair like last week I have the other to fall back on.
Lynda

FERSID 06-22-2011 04:56 AM

I have 20 Machines:

4 Vintage/Antique Singer Treadles (3 in cabinets, 1 without a cabinet)

1 Singer Model 301A with cabinet

3 Featherweights 221's (one I keep - the other 2 I will be selling)

1 Singer Model 132Q Portable (which I will be selling)

1 Singer Model 6232 Portable (which I will be selling)

1 Bernina Model 800DL Serger (might be selling)

1 Juki Model DDL8700 Industrial Straight Stitch

1 Juki Model TL98 Q (which I generally use for most sewing)

1 Kenmore Model 1914 Zig Zag w/Embroidery Cams (which I will be selling)

1 Necchi BU Nova **Solid Workhorses** (bought as a Collective Investment - hard to find in such good condition and worth the investment)

1 Necchi Supernova Automatica Zig Zag with Embroidery Cams ** Another Workhorse ** (bought as a Collective Investment - another hard to find in such good condition)

1 Elna #1 (also known as "The Grasshopper) in near mint condition (bought as Collective Investment - also hard to find in such good condition)

2 Elna Supermatic Zig Zag with Embroidery Cams both in near mint condition (bought as Collective Investment)

1 Innova 18" Long Arm Quilting Machine with 12 Foot Quilting Frame - my Special "Baby" which helps me finish my creations.

All of the above machine have their "individual quirks" and all have something(s) they do better than others.

It's those "do better" than the others that give me the ability to enjoy working with each of them at different times and even when the whim hits me to use something different.

As they often say, a change can be as good as a rest.

cindit 06-22-2011 05:45 AM

I have:

Singer 1956 99K - use it to piece
Janome sewing/embroidery - for most of my stuff
Elna sewing/embroidery - just bought it used and have it in the shop getting fixed. Hoping it will replace my Janome and I'll use that for backup.
White serger - for seam finishing
2 regular sewing machines I don't use much, but may try later to incorporate one of them into my space.

All machines combined cost less than $1,500 over several years. Love them all!

redpurselady 06-22-2011 05:49 AM

I have 2 Featherweights, a serger, Bernina, Kenmore, 1924 Red Eye, 1949 Singer 128, 1971 Montgomery Ward, and a 1906 Singer treadle. Do I use them all - no :-)

quilter41 06-22-2011 05:55 AM

Viking Lily 545 for piecing quilts
Viking Designer 1 for embroidery
Pfaff 6270 for quilting small projects
Featherweight for classes
Baby Lock Quilters Pro for my PC Quilter
White Serger from when I did clothing
Viking Platinum 950E For Sale

This is how I use all my machines

debby wicke 06-22-2011 06:12 AM

Let's see, the serger I use for anything that needs clean edge, my 2 monogrammers-exactly for that, and the other five for sew with friends. Oh and my quilter, of course for quilting stitches. I am really blessed and thank God for each of my machines.

unclefreckles 06-22-2011 06:12 AM

I have 2 sewing machines and a serger. One is a Brothers Quattro that will do anything but mostly I use it for embroidery. A second Brothers that I use for classes and most of the piecing and for garment making. The serger gets used mostly for garments or home decor items. If I had room for a long arm I would be saving to get one, but as of now no room.

mountain deb 06-22-2011 06:53 AM

Some of these machines may be inherited. and some maybe purchased because, well just because, but some bought because they are for a specific purpose, or because I am tired of chaning one machine over from one thing to another. We tend to find beauty in all things, for the lucky few it is our machines.