Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines

Lately I've seen several topics on here asking "How many sewing machines do you have?" and quite a lot of the answers were more than one or two. One poster said she owns eleven sewing machines.

I just have one sewing machine. My mom bought it for me around seven years ago for about $60 when I started learning how to machine sew in high school. I really only need one sewing machine to quilt with. But I don't have the room or the funds for more than one anyways.

I see these posts about having multiple sewing machines and I think "Does one really need that many?" I can kind of see where two sewing machines might be an advantage if you're working on two projects at once or have one machine for piecing and the other for FMQ.

So I'm a bit curious. If you do have more than one or two machines, how many do you have and why do have that many? Do you use them all?

When one of mine 'dies', I just don't have the heart to discard it! I also have one that I use for embroidery, so I need one to sew with while she is working. Then, I got my 'dieing' one fixed, in case someone comes over to stitch with me and they don't need to bring a machine. :)

I have three; one to piece, one to bind, and one to quilt. I don't have to mess with the tension on any of them when moving from start to finish.. ( and as a last resort.... if I can't afford to get a tune up on time I have a spare) I have a really small room,9x9 no closet; but manage to have 3 different stations... just a slight twist in the chair and I'm at a different machine.

i have 4 featherweights 3 sewing machines 1 embroidery machine and 2 longarm quilting machines 2 sergers 1 treadle

Total, in my sewing room, there's 5 machines...but, only one of them is MY sewing machine. I have two DD's (ages 6 and 8) and they each have their own machines to learn on (so they won't break Mommy's), then there's my serger and my embroidery machine. So, in truth, I only have 1 sewing machine...the rest either do other jobs or belong to the little ones.

Like others on the board, I love the old Singer Featherweights (4) and Treadles (2). Why - they are beautiful and look darn good in my sewing room. I have a favorite FW that I take to classes and quilt days at church. I also have a Janome that I use all the time at home and a can't be beat Kenmore for standby. I just ordered an embroidery only machine. I forgot about the serger. I'm only missing a LA but I truly don't have the patience for that.

I have a treadle that my mom gave me, My grandmothers machine one I bought at goodwill, my Brother embroidery sewing machine an old kenmore I bought about 30 years ago used and some where in storage is my first machine I got from hubby when we got married, I also have 3 other machines in the basement for DDIL's to use and two battery operated ones we take camping. And I have an old singer head only that I got at a garage sale for $2.00 Only use two or three myself but when we have a get together get more out for the girls.

Blog Entries
    I have 5 and a serger that I don't use.

Serger - unused, given to me
    White - I use it for purse/tote making, piecing, had it for years and I love it so much.
    New Singer - I do a lot of FMQ on it. It's OK, not my favorite
    Brother - my great backup machine <- I love this silly (was little less than $80 on Amazon, I got it when the White and "new" Singer were in the shop)machine more than I can say
    Vintage Singer - piecing and binding <- great backup machine too
    Treadle - FMQ'ing large projects, piecing. <- Don't use it often, but it works great.

All in all, all the machines have cost less than $500, and that includes the almost $300 for the newer Singer.

Banned
    I have a straight stitch only machine that I use strictly for piecing quilts. It gets quite a workout! Then I have two combo (sewing and embroidery) machines, one that gets used nonstop, and the other occassionaly... it is my backup machine and class machine.

I have a vintage Singer that doesn't get used, although it sews beautifully, just because I wanted it... and then a serger and a stand alone coverstitch machine.

Finally, I have a commercial longarm. All these machines (except the Singer) get used quite regularly, some daily. I could never have just one machine, as sometimes machines break or need servicing, which means that machine may be down for awhile.

Blog Entries
    I have 4 machines. One I use for embroidery, one for piecing, one I use with teaching and one I have as a back-up or can take it when we camp.

Blog Entries
    Guilty! I have 3 I use, 2 that need worked on and two that look pretty. Were getting ready to move and DH said I had to choose. Ahhhhhh but how...... so the embroidery machine and the Kenmore and the serger is going with me!! Unless I can negotiate some more!! I'm waiting to see how many his tools are moving!!

I do have 3 machines. One older that is stored because my late father-in-law was the only one who could keep it running properly, the one I was using up till about 6 months ago, and the new one that is the one im using now.

There is a difference between what you want & what you need. As you are young & getting along with just one machine, I think you should have other priorities like savings to think of so that you can quilt in retirement. If you were not reading the QB posts, would you even think that you "needed" another machine? Quilting should be a controlled addiction when you have limited funds.

Let's see:
    Brother Pacesetter NX400 for general sewing and piece work,
    Bother Innovis 4000D, it's a combo machine but used for embroidery only,
    Brother PQ1500s I use on my frame for quilting,
    my first serger and old Toyota, it needs some work but I'm not ready to give it up yet
    and finally, my step-daughter has her great-grandmother's treadle her. She doesn't know it but I really don't want her to come get it. I'm afraid she'll loose it somewhere.

So total count in the house: 5

5, two were donations, 1 embroidery, 1 that I use daily, and a serger, just order #6 today for my frame.

Eleven was hardly toward the upper end of the range of responses. Some people collect vintage machines, just as some people collect spoons, ceramic figures, guns, handbags, jewelry, cars, antlers, etc. Who is to judge what is worthwhile to collect or not? Personally, I think sewing machines are among the more worthwhile things to collect, because they are USEFUL, and many of them hold or even increase in value, such that they could be sold off if need be. We all really only need three outfits for each season, right? One to wear, one in the wash, one ready to wear. Of my machines, 2 are out on loan, 2 are "clunkers" waiting to be trade-ins, 3 are featherweights (and I have two kids who want to inherit one each). I have multiple machines for my own use and pleasure. I mean, who needs any of this silly quilting hobby? We can all just buy blankets made in sweatshops, right?

Blog Entries
    I have 6 that I use quite regularly. Since my sewing room is being renovated right now, the goal is to line all of the ones I use up so that I can get to them easily. I have the set up to do different functions. Like I have a singer 15-91 that is my dream when it comes to sewing on binding. No clunking sounds. I have one set up for ruffles,one that I call my main one, cause I do most sewing on it. I have one set up for decorative stitching and circular sewing. I have a serger and 2 embroidery machines.. Then I have 2 treadles. I like knowing that if the power goes out I can still sew things together. And I have a Cinderella machine that works but will be on a shelf in there for looks. And a handcrank with roses on the bed. And it's always a good idea to have back up machines. I ended up in the midst of a project one time. Only had one machine and was not able to sew for like 2 weeks. That really set me back. So I guess it depends on how much you sew and how many things you like doing when you sew.

Blog Entries
    Hi. I have 2 brother machinies. One is a regular machine with a needle threader and you can oil and clean it yourself.
    I wanted a computerized machine. It is great for many things like stitched other than zig zag and straitht stitch.
    I had it for less than a year and had to have it cleaned which cost almost as much as the machine cost in the first place. The instructions don't include any maintenance other than cleaning the dust out. So I don't use it as often anymore. And the needle threader is difficult to use. Lowell ;)

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    i have 4 featherweights 3 sewing machines 1 embroidery machine and 2 longarm quilting machines 2 sergers 1 treadle

I wanna come to your house Nancy. LOL :)

Blog Entries
    I have 4.
    My Janome 6600P that I use most of the time.
    A brother that I use outside or in a different room and consider it my backup.
    A Kenmore that my hubby(then boyfriend) bought for my high
    school graduation (1975). It is real workhorse and I use it for sewing anything heavy.
    A treadle that I inherited from my hubby's family. Don't use, but would like to some day.
    Looking at an embroidery machine to buy soon.

I only have 4 (ummm ... my non-sewing friends would say "only?").

My original machine is a 1983 Sears Kenmore that was a wedding gift from my first husband. Basic machine. Haven't the heart to get rid of it.

When I married second husband I started sewing again and was having repeated problems with Kenmore. Hubby #2 bought me a new machine - Husqvarna 535 Lily. At this time I was sewing garments and such.

Then I started quilting. While the Husky was good at it, I found after about 4 years that it wasn't the ideal quilting machine. I drooled over a Janome Horizon MC6600. When the 7700 came out a lot of ladies traded in their 6600's for the 7700 and I bought an "experienced" 6600 which I love. The two things I love on this machine are the integrated walking foot and the larger (than my Husky) harp area. When I bought it I originally intended on using my Husky to piece and my Janome to quilt. As it turns out, I'm using my Janome to piece and quilt. I still give my Husky a turn though :)

Last but not least is the new addition - an embroidery machine. Hubby wanted to buy me a sewing/embroidery machine back when I got the Husky and I balked and said I would never need/want embroidery. Within the last 3 months or so ... I found a need. I want to make embroidered quilt labels. I looked at a few machines, balked, whined, balked. I'm a practical person and I couldn't justify several hundred $$ for a machine that did nothing but make labels for quilts. Eventually husband asked what I was looking at on Craigs list etc, and I told him (and of course he said "I told you so"). That was 4-5 weeks ago or so. Last Wednesday he came home with an embroidery machine that "fell into his lap" (he won't tell me the whole story). It's not the machine I would have bought - but I didn't buy it and I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. It's basic, has the minimum but still has the USB capabilities so I'm calling it WONDERFUL.

And to be quite honest ... I'm really not interested in a Featherweight. Yeah, they're cute, but I really don't think I would like piecing on something that small. I don't travel with my machine so the weight of my 6600 doesn't bother me a bit. I wouldn't say no to one of those gorgeous old Singer Red Eye's or Egyptians though - electric - not treadle.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have the following:
    3 Featherweights: 2 black, 1 white but one of the black ones is going to my DIL when they come to visit- love my FW's!!
    My Bernina- love it, a Redeye66- love it, a 15 with Egyptian detailing- gorgeous-love it, a White that doesn't work b/c the cord is frayed but got it in a cabinet with drawers loaded for 15.00, a Singer 201 and a 301- love them.
    And I have my first machine- a Kenmore portable my Dad bought me- used it forever until I got my Bernina, wouldn't part with it for anything :)

I sew on most of them and love antiques so they serve both my passions. But I need to quit b/c enough is enough (?) LOL :D

Blog Entries
    I have 14 sewing machines. It started out because I really didn't like the new Singer that I bought when I first started sewing. So I kept looking for a old Singer that was all metal. DH helped me find some on CL and at auctions. So now I have the cheap Singer, a featherweight, 301, 401, 500, 503, 66 handcrank, 201, 223, 99K, 15-91, a modle 12 treadle, 72w19 hemstitcher and a Pink Atlas. I use all except the treadle and hemstitcher. I have a very large 5 bedroom farm house with 12 closets to store some of them in as well as a good sized sewing room. At some point, I will get rid of a few that I don't use/like.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    wow, you're my idol...

Quote Originally Posted by valsma
    I do have 3 machines. One older that is stored because my late father-in-law was the only one who could keep it running properly, the one I was using up till about 6 months ago, and the new one that is the one im using now.
    oh and yes I do still use the one I just replaces. I would use the older one if I could find someone who could make it run properly.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast