Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines

I need a back up for my Bernina 440QE so I use the Pfaff 7550 I got in 1995. Then I use the Viking MegaQuilter on the frame and it's mechanical in case computer goes ka-flooey and then I just had to have a Fetherweight because they are sooo cute.

I have a Brother 2125 that I got at Walmart about 10 years ago that has served me very well through all my sewing needs (clothes, crafts, quilt piecing).

In December, a lady from church gave me a serger thingie but I haven't a clue what to do with it. Also in December my mom died so I have her Brother (same machine) also set up in my sewing corner that my littles use to learn and play on.

A few weeks ago my cousin gave me my grandmother's treadle. It's in horrendous shape and I haven't a clue where to start fixing it, but I can't get rid of it for sentimental reasons.

I have three machines....one is my old nearly 40 year old Kenmore that sits in the closet waiting for one of my daughters to take it home....I have an old Bernina that I use for shows and classes and I have a Viking Sapphire that stays set up all the time in my sewing room to piece and machine quilt on......BTW....Hello and a big, warm welcome from southeastern West Virginia....good to have to here.....

I have a serger and a Pfaff from years ago. I brought an old Singer when the Pfaff was in the shop for a back up. It takes 6 or more weeks to get it serviced. The Singer I have problems with the bobbin so I got a Bernina for a back up. I use it daily. I just got a Bernina 830 because I can put it on a frame or do embroidery with it. That puts me at five. Because I am using 2 brand new Bernina credit cards and putting more than 1 grand on them I am getting 2 free Bernette 46's. Twins! I cant wait. They will go into storage most likely until I have grandchildren. The Singer I am thinking about selling.

I have 7 machines
    Viking #1+ - I sew with all the time.
    Janome 300E - embroidery only
    White - my son's (got it when he learned to sew)
    Singer - my daughter's ( I use it more then she does)
    Janome 1600P - just purchased, plan to use it with my handi-quilter frame, trying to talk my husband into the stitch regulator ($300)
    Singer Treadle- this was my mom's and before her either my grandmother's or great grandmother's (I don't use it, as I always, somehow make it all of a sudden stitch backwards while I'm trying to stitch forward-right in the middle)
    Serger - would love to throw, but can't afford a new one.

Blog Entries
    Well, I have 3 sewing machines, 3 TVs, 4 radios and 8 clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by kathome
    LOL My grandson is staying with me for 3 weeks and asked why we only have one TV! From a home where there is one in every room except the bathroom and kitchen they even have one in the garage!! I may have more than 8 clocks though!!

Power Poster
    Gee, I only have 3!!!

Blog Entries
    Years ago I would have been perplexed as you are. Take quick look at the photos of vintage machines in this thread:

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

There is such beauty, craftmanship and really gutsy machinemanship in those machines. Some of them sew straighter lines than modern day machines. Some of them purr when you are sewing on them. And most of them are not expensive to own either. :-D

hey Flying Goddess...I only have 5 machines. 1 is a pfaff which embroiders, another is a Brother that has nice fonts and does limited embroidery, 1 is a singer I bought for my Mom (RIP) about 40 years ago and then there's a husqvarna serger. Finally there is an old treadle that is in a wooden cabinet. It has a leather belt to turn the treadle. I believe it belonged to my grandmother. My favorite is the one that belonged to my mother and it is probably the least expensive. Which shows once again, that it is what's in a person's heart that is worth more than all the gold in the world! :lol:

Cute! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I currently have 13 machines...and I use all of them except my Wheeler & Wilson #8, circa 1876-1880...I don't use that one for fear of damaging the decals on it. In my defense, I just took 6 machines to the Goodwill that I know I won't fix or use...someone else might tho, and I'd want them to have them! :) They were machines that came to me in various ways, but I didn't buy any of them.

They look really neat, and it's kind of fun to decide which one I'm going to use for which project.

Well, I currently own five sewing machines. I only had one at a time for the first 35 years of sewing. Now that I've expanded to quilting in the last several years, I have formed an appreciation for a variety of machines and am learning their strengths and weaknesses for the type of sewing/quilting that I do.

Like someone else here mentioned, I haven't spent much on my 5 machines because I've shopped for the deals and/or was fortunate enough to have them land in my lap.

I have these machines:

Bernina 730 Record - 60's vintage, mechanical, sews ANYTHING, like a tank. Easy to maintain. Had it since 94.

Bernina 1090- 90's vintage, is electronic and has a variety of stitches. My everyday machine. Has an excellent stitch. Not too much to maintain. Had since 08.

Singer 201k treadle - 50's vintage, recent acquisition, need to learn to treadle. Hear it is good for those of us with MS. Easy to maintain.

Singer 301A slant needle - mechanical 50's vintage, STRONG machine, excellent stitch, easy to maintain. Recent purchase.

Baby Lock Decorator's Choice - purchased new several years ago. Has many, many different stitches, is electronic so can be fussy and is expensive to maintain.

I like to be able to have a couple of machines set up to do different things as some have mentioned here. Some are better at binding, piecing, quilting, etc. The Singer 301A is light enough and portable to take to classes with me. It is the big sister to the Featherweight, much less expensive and a stronger and more capable machine.

I guess as time goes on, and we try different machines and/or hear others speak about them, we have the desire to own a variety of them for ourselves. It's not just about collecting them, as they are all useful in their own ways; I think it's more about appreciating and celebrating their differences and beauty. Each machine becomes an extension of ourselves, our creativity and personality. We all buy different fabrics, don't we? Solids are nice, but when we add prints or novelties, or work with batiks and different colors our creativity soars. :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Lately I've seen several topics on here asking "How many sewing machines do you have?" and quite a lot of the answers were more than one or two. One poster said she owns eleven sewing machines.

I see these posts about having multiple sewing machines and I think "Does one really need that many?" I can kind of see where two sewing machines might be an advantage if you're working on two projects at once or have one machine for piecing and the other for FMQ.

So I'm a bit curious. If you do have more than one or two machines, how many do you have and why do have that many? Do you use them all?
    It's call Old Sewing Machine Syndrome. OSMS No known cure. I don't want to count mine. I don't use them all. Some are here for repairs, some are for sale and some not. Some are for giving away. I use different ones at different times. I have some modern, a longarm, treadles, handcranks, portable electrics and parts.

Tommie

the vintage machines are becoming more scarce and I think that if you are a lover of sewing and the whole process and community, having some of the older machines is a way of preserving & (and w/ most of them)using pieces of our history.
    I, too, have more than one, but use 2 trusty stand-bys and only others when my main ones are getting serviced.
    After the reading the thread the other day, I will probably sell the ones that I don't use in hopes that others will use them more-

My husband swears that I have way too many sewing machines and what could I possible do with all of them. So let me explain... I have three machines. This week - I was sewing on a quilt I need for a fundraiser with the oldest machine when.... Broken needle... There was a malfunction with the part of the machine that holds the needle. No sweat. Just pull out Machine #2, oops, tension issues, and now the machine is making a chugging noise... Pull out machine #3, finish the quilt and get #'s 1 and 2 to the mechanic.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Blog Entries
    I only have 6 now== 2 Singers under 10yrs one is needing a new motor-2 Vintage Singers -1 1956 Brother and my Singer Treadle They all have some thing the other machines don't But my treadle is still my favorite She can go through anything no matter how thick and I can quilt a whole Queen size quilt on her better than on the others,and I learned to sew on a treadle so for me my Treadle wins hands down every time But I am saving for a mid-arm and the brain cells to use it :lol: Even with the 2 newer machines I've spent less than $350 total and I always keep my eyes open for good deals on the Vintage Ladies. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I have a Singer Stylist that my mom and dad gave me for graduation from high school - 42 years ago. That is my main machine.

I also have my mom's Singer 301 that I got custody of when she went into a nursing home. I love using that, especially for quilts for family. I can say that quilt was made with "grandma's sewing machine", and it gives a little extra special quality to it.

I also have an old machine that I just got a couple months ago at Goodwill. I paid only about $15 for it and it just looks really cool. It needs to be cleaned up before I use it, but I am always too busy sewing to get to it.

I sometimes think that I would like to get a fancy new computerized machine. But I do just fine with what I have.

I have a Kenmore that is about 35 years old and is good for jeans, etc; my mother's treadle machine that I don't use but wouldn't part with; an inexpensive Kenmore to take to class and quilting retreat; and another Kenmore that's about 23 years old that I use daily. Oh, and one serger.

I have my first machine Viking 180, I out grew it, but I use it as my back when I send my Phaff 7570 to the shop for maintance, I also own 2 serger's (I do alot of sewing of clothes for self and others - mostly grandbabies now.) they both are Huskavarna 534's. Had the first one brand new since 1987 and just purchased the other one from ebay a few years ago - mainly a back-up. I also have 2 very pretty antique "Singer" in there cabinets, both work.

I am addicted to buying. I keep having to find someone to give it too. (I am bi-polar) and a pigeon to a good deal. Right now I have an Elna, Janome sewing-embroidery machine, and a small Janome for going out. Well... a small machine for decorative uses and an old, old singer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathome
    Did you count all your clocks? The oven clock, tvs, dvds, refrigs, etc. :lol:

Blog Entries
    You would be surprised at how small a space is only needed to hold numerous machines. Some folks have told me that just one treadle or sewing cabinet will work, and just switch out machines heads. The machine head can be stored on bookcase when not in use. I have a u-shape setup of four treadles with a swivel chair in center. Three of those machines are used in my quilting and the fourth treadle cabinet top holds my cutting mat and quilting items. I piece, quilt, and bind with four vintage sewing machines all in treadles. Each has their own task, and I don't have to fuss with setting them up for a specific job. I sometimes find the machines for free on CLs, or very cheap. I like to say that the vintage machines have a way of finding us. Which is why I have some machines decorating my bookcase.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    You would be surprised at how small a space is only needed to hold numerous machines. Some folks have told me that just one treadle or sewing cabinet will work, and just switch out machines heads. The machine head can be stored on bookcase when not in use. I have a u-shape setup of four treadles with a swivel chair in center. Three of those machines are used in my quilting and the fourth treadle cabinet top holds my cutting mat and quilting items. I piece, quilt, and bind with four vintage sewing machines all in treadles. Each has their own task, and I don't have to fuss with setting them up for a specific job. I sometimes find the machines for free on CLs, or very cheap. I like to say that the vintage machines have a way of finding us. Which is why I have some machines decorating my bookcase.
    Do you ever get dizzy swiveling around in circles from machine to machine? :lol: Seriously tho, it sounds like a fascinating set up. Could you post a pic of your awesome set up please?

Thanks,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Do you ever get dizzy swiveling around in circles from machine to machine? :lol: Seriously tho, it sounds like a fascinating set up. Could you post a pic of your awesome set up please?

Thanks,
    Nope, I don't get dizzy. :lol: There are some folks that just own one vintage Singer cabinet and switch their vintage Singer machines. Just find them cheap and clean them up. They're easy to service, make for cheap decor, and some sew a beautiful stitch for being 50-100 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast