Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbere15
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    I posted earlier that I have 20 machines. I PIF with machines. I have had one potential recipient say "No thanks" b/c she wanted a better machine. I was offereing her a 15-91 for free. Some people just have no clue.
    Just as well you didn't give her that beautiful machine, she would not have taken care of it or appreciate it.
    The real reason was her mom thought she needed something better than a Singer 15-91 which only has the straight stitch and reverse. Heck, that's mostly all I use!!! Some people DO have to look the gift horse in the mouth!!!!!

My wife is the quilter in the family, and only kept one machine from 1975 to 2006, not counting her one serger she got in 1994 and her one embroidery machine she got in 2001. She bought a new basic machine in 1990, and quickly sold the other one in a yardsale. She sewed up a storm with just one machine at a time for several years.

Then, I started collecting sewing machines in 2006, and now she has so many that itís sometimes a chore to decide with one to use for which project (37 machines). Several will do the job just as nicely as another. Iím always bugging her to ďtry such-n-such machine for that projectĒ, just to see if she likes that one better. Life was easier for her when she only had one.

Truth be told; she still only uses 2-3 of them regularly, and a couple more for ďspecialĒ projects, special stitches, or portability when sewing away from home. Once you get used to a machine that does what you want, it feels good to keep using it. And I believe that swapping back and forth between machines causes you to have to re-train yourself at the beginning of a project. Could be unnecessary pressure in some cases.

I swap around between 3 Industrial machines and 2 household machines (mending, repairs, & construction in a shop), but thatís because they all do different things and itís not just sewing for pleasure. Donít feel bad if you like just one machine and it does what you want.

CD in Oklahoma

It started off with just one machine, but in my quest to find the one that I learned to sew on, I found that there were many more that were good for different situations. I also discovered that I really like taking them apart and cleaning them up and restoring them to full function. :)

This is my collection, roughly in order of age:
    * Singer Futura SES 1000 Embroidery Machine - I'd never do this again!
    * Brother 1034D Serger (worth its weight in fat quarters)
    * Brother 270D Embroidery machine (missing its embroidery parts, bought at a garage sale)
    * Brother CS6000i (great little computerized machine that weighs nothing)
    * Kenmore 1803 - probably my favorite all-around
    * Kenmore 1802 - in case the 1803 breaks
    * Singer 750 - was my Mother's - now basically a decoration
    * Singer 503 (3) - waiting for me to replace their bobbin winder parts and give them away
    * Singer 500 - perfect working order
    * Lady Kenmore 89 - from 1959 - has 21 stitches built-in and is just a wonderful machine with a pretty cabinet and matching storage chair.
    * Singer 403 (2) - perfect working order
    * Singer 401 (2) - perfect working order - one has some little cosmetic issues
    * Singer 316G - treadled machine - perfect - complete set of attachments - great for power outages
    * Singer 301 - perfect working order with desk, bench and huge collection of attachments
    * Singer 201 (2) - one is waiting for me to replace all the electrical and repaint her and the other is in perfect working condition
    * Singer 15-91 (2) - perfect working order - my favorite quilting machines
    * White Rotary Bronze Embossed - the anniversary edition of their machine is bronze plated and could be quite beautiful. I've had the Mount Vernon cabinet refinished and the electrical components replaced and the motor cleaned. I haven't sewn with this one yet. It was in terrible condition when I bought it and I never wanted to risk plugging it in.
    * Singer 66 - Cabinet needs rebuilding and machine needs to be stripped and painted. Complete set of back-clamping attachments, sews beautifully
    * Singer 27 - needs to be cleaned and the cabinet needs refinishing. Complete set of attachments and a joy to sew with
    * Singer 127 - just the stripped head - came with the wooden parts to a treadle machine. Someone turned the iron base into a table or something.
    * Singer 128 - treadle - sews beautifully - one of the attachments is a hemstitcher

A lot of my machines are beautiful or are terrific sewing machines, so I love them, but only the Lady Kenmore and the White Bronze Embossed are actually what I'd call collector's items.

I have several that I will give to senior centers or to the parish hall when I've fixed the minor issues with them and have the cabinets cleaned up. I really do need to clear out the ones that don't get used much because they are much happier when they're sewing. :)

I just ordered a featherweight and browing around sewing machines (smile) I was able to get a new Brother sewing machine for $59. and free shipping so my granddaughter is going to have a new machine to start her off. LOL

Wasn't that a good deal?!!!!

I have 4 but only 3 run at predent. I like haveing friends over and we do do some projects together. I love teaching children to sew I use them all.

Blog Entries
    one juki that is on the quilter, my kenmore in the table in sewing room, old kenmore 1978 won't get rid of, FW just because, brother that is just for embroidery only, brother that is take along machine, and just got a treadle... when DH complains I just ask how many tractors and lawn mowers he needs...he shuts up LOL

I have 4: a Baby Lock Quilter's Quest (bought in March), a Viking Sapphire 830 (43 yrs old), a Singer that is 21 yrs old, and a serger I bought at a yard sale 2 years ago. I use the serger about once every other month for projects related to my job and for the occasional apparel project. The Singer was a gift that I used until I broke the needle plate thread painting (I have since replaced it!). I kept it in case my son wants it for sewing camping gear. My Viking came about after my mother bought me one for Christmas. I used the first one she got me and made several quilts, teaching myself FMQ along the way. When the Sapphire came out, I traded for it since it has a larger throat space. I sew daily and the stress of that was apparent to the tech that services it, so he suggested I get another machine and alternate, thus the Baby Lock. Do I need all of them? Sometimes, but do golfers uses everyone of their clubs every time they play?

I have 4 machines:
    ~serger- not used for quilting, though I will use this when I make my dupioni quilt.
    ~electronic older model Pfaff- my main machine. She has a lot of built in stitches that I like to use to dress up blocks occasionally.
    ~mechanical Pfaff- my backup machine, plus my daughter uses this one when she wants to sew with me. (She's 10 and uses both of my machines)
    ~9" harp Pfaff on a frame- quilting

WOW on so many machines. We have a small house so I must limit myself.

I have my HQ16....a Janome 6660 and a small Janome to take to classes and retreats. I HAD a Kenmore and put it on Freecycle when I got my small Janome....lots of people asked for it. It was sort of sad because I had only one to give away.

DH thought I was nuts when I got the small Janome. I asked him to lift up the big one...then he understood. I go lots of places with my sewing machine.

I have three: one is my primary, more expensive machine, one is an inexpensive backup/class/travel machine, and one I inherited from my grandmother and is kept mostly for sentimental reasons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Lately I've seen several topics on here asking "How many sewing machines do you have?" and quite a lot of the answers were more than one or two. One poster said she owns eleven sewing machines.

I just have one sewing machine. My mom bought it for me around seven years ago for about $60 when I started learning how to machine sew in high school. I really only need one sewing machine to quilt with. But I don't have the room or the funds for more than one anyways.

I see these posts about having multiple sewing machines and I think "Does one really need that many?" I can kind of see where two sewing machines might be an advantage if you're working on two projects at once or have one machine for piecing and the other for FMQ.

So I'm a bit curious. If you do have more than one or two machines, how many do you have and why do have that many? Do you use them all?
    For me: I just love hanging out with sewing machines :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B
    How big is that harp space? And can you lower the feed or does it have a plate? Does the 201 come in electric? Your machine is beautiful. I've only sewn on electric machines & have often wondered how hard or easy a treadle would be. Wish I had someone that I could watch sew on one of those old treadles. Thanks for the info.
    The Singer 201 does come in either electric, treadle or hand crank. The throat/harp area is 8.25" wide. Yes, the feed dogs do lower for FMQ. See this first link for more specifics on what it does and how easily available parts are for it:

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx

See this link for a quick history lesson on it, and learn why the 201 is purported to be Singer's "finest machine".

http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm

Here's a pic of my Singer 201k (k means it's from Kilbowie, Scotland).
    What a Beauty she is :thumbup:

I have a Brother NX600 which is my main machine and I love it. I also have a Viking machine that sews and embroiders but I leave it set up just for embroidery. I also have a 1926 Singer Model 66 I got for free off Craigslist - hubby cleaned it up and I use it as sewing room decor.

2 machimes, both Bernina. My main machine weighs 34 lbs. and stays home! My smaller, lighter machinr goes to classes, and group sewing meetings. My guild makes charity quilts and quilts of valor.

I have 3, two Featherweights and a Kenmore. I use them all for different occasions.

Annie

I bought this week another singer 15 in cabinet and a toy singer complete with accessories,hehe.
    Yep I got to quit, right after I find a singer treadle someday. I used to think I wanted a FW, but not so much these days, so super happy with my 15's and 301's. I have never wanted a longarm even though everyone says I need one. I am happy quilting on my 15.

Blog Entries
    I have 5 machines and thinking its time to declutter...I am debating on getting rid of the treadles..one is just a treadle table with a Lotus machine...its a beauty and the cabinet a coffin that has been completely redone. I just do not have the room...its in my livingroom and we just bought a new livingroom set that will be here at the end of the week..what to do...aurgh...I do not use it but love how it looks. I am torn....we are also moving a leather chair into the sewing room so my treadle may also need to go..its in perfect shape but again...I had it fixed up but never use it. they just take up so much room in my small house.

I have four machines and three are Brother's. First one I use for every day sewing, second is an embroidery machine which I love...third and brand new last week is a quilting machine. Fourth is my mom's old Kenmore which is still in her wooden machine cabinet. I dont' use it..I lost the parts but I don't need to use it. I like having it for memory sake.

I recently considered getting serger but after studying up on them I realized I don't have a need for one with the sewing that I usually do.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    i've got a few....

a viking tribute 140c--this is my newest. remember me? i was the one who had the bernina on layaway when the quilt shop closed.....so, i got this machine. LOVE IT! to be honest, i wanted a newer, "fancier" machine (more stitches). and hey, it was a treat to myself....

Viking 350-i bought about 15 years ago, when the pfaff hobby i had died...... Now that i have the tribute, this will become a travel machine.

1937 featherweight-still love to piece on her. and she's beautiful

babylock ellure-i use solely for embroidery. she's about 10-12 years old, but not going to trade "up". i don't do machine embroidery often enough.

singer treadle red eye--needs to be rehabbed--really, a good oiling and a new leather loopy thing. my dad bought it at an auction

singer 99k-my dad bought at an auction because he thought it was a fw. needs a good cleaning and oiling

singer spartan-i bough on ebay. does not work. the guy refunded my money for misrepresentation and told me to keep it because it would cost to much to send back

simplicity serger-which i actually do use!

so...out of 8, four get regular usage.

Blog Entries
    I guess I never considered having more than one machine "excessive". It is like asking a carpenter why he has more than one saw. I have my Janome which is my machine of choice. I inherited my MIL 401 (which needs to be repaired), a Viking Sapphire, which I bought for the larger harp area, and use it for topstitching, and 5 featherweights, one is permanently at my dd's house (i use when babysitting), one I take to classes, and the other 3 I rescued. Oh, I have a serger that I have had for 20 years (when I used to make doll clothing for my GD american girl dolls). I am 65 years old, and over the years, my collection has grown.

I am looking for a reasonable priced red eye treadle machine, just because, one day a hurricane might land in DE, and the electrician (my dear son), didn't put my sewing room on the generator grid. I had to choose heat and airconditioning, refrig, freezer and water (well) and a bit of lighting.
    Last edited by nhweaver; 07-16-2012 at 03:42 AM.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I have an old Singer in a cabinet that I got when i first got married and can't bear to part with. I don't ever use it. I have a Janomne 6500 that's my main machine and a Janome 720 for classes. I have a treadle and a featherweight that I also don't use but don't want to part with. Once you get them you can't bear to give them up. I do intend to use the featherweight. It's so handy to carry with the tiny case.

I have 4:

vintage 1950's Singer 401A for piecing/straight line quilting/general sewing

vintage 1970's Bernina Record 830 for FMQing

1951 Centennial Singer Featherweight for classes/retreats

1889 Singer 27 treadle in non-working condition. I intend to get her up and running some day when I have time.

I have two sewing machines and a serger. The nice part about having 2 is that I can set one up for embroidery and sew with the other or serge. Also the newest one is lighter weight. So she'll be going to classes with me in the fall.

I had one heavy Kenmore for more than 30 years, but when something went wrong with the tension and I had to take it to a repair shop half-way through a project I realised that one machine is not enough. Not only is the Kenmore too heavy to cart to classes, but having a backup machine is wonderful. I bought a $65 newer Kenmore at an estate sale; all of my accessories fit the new machine and it's great to take to classes. Then a friend bought a hugely expensive embroidery machine and I was envious, so I bought a combo sewing/embroidery machine from Craigslist for less than $200. Now I wish I had an actual sewing room so that I could have them all out at once.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I have 3 that I use all the time. My Bernette serger that I got when I was in high school about almost 30 years ago. It sews as well today as it did then (knock on wood). I have a Kenmore that I use most every day for general sewing, piecing, etc. I have a Nolting Fun Quilter that I use for quilting and I love it.

There are a few that I don't use as often. I have a Viking/Husky for embroidery and decorative stitching that I bought thinking I would enjoy embroidery, but I really don't love it. It's a good sewing machine, but it may have to find a new home. I have a treadle machine I acquired a couple of months ago for $5 and my daughter just used it to piece her first quilt top. It was fun taking a machine that was old and neglected and turning it into a usable machine. I also have a Necchi that will be my downstairs machine. It's nice to have one close to my quilting machine for issues that pop up. It also has a lot of cams for decorative stitching, so I think it will be fun to use. I have a vintage Kenmore that I bought for my daughter at Goodwill for $4 in the cabinet. I've since realized that it's an awesome machine! Oh, and there are two in the garage that don't work quite yet. I may have to give up on the Singer, but she's a newer machine with plastic gears and I may donate her to someone who has the interest in fixing her. The New Home treadle...now that one I WILL fix and move into the house. It's pretty and when it works, it will be a joy to use...so...8. I agree, it's hard to part with them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast