Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 131

Thread: Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines

  1. #76
    Super Member RugosaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ohio, just east of Toledo
    Posts
    1,362
    I have 4:
    The first I got in the mid-80's, and love

    I found out if something happens to it, thye don't really make parrts for it anymore, so I bought one sold for parts only, one that works, and one model that's 'kind of the same'

    I only use one at a time, but I use it a lot, and have spares, or at least spare parts, for if it stops working

  2. #77
    Super Member chuckbere15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Madison Heights, MI
    Posts
    1,091
    Blog Entries
    4
    I only have one machine, Janome 7700. I wish I had a second one so I could leave it at the campground, it would be sew much easier than taking mine. When I need a specialty machine, like a serger or long arm, I go to moms house.

  3. #78
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,857
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    You would be surprised at how small a space is only needed to hold numerous machines. Some folks have told me that just one treadle or sewing cabinet will work, and just switch out machines heads. The machine head can be stored on bookcase when not in use. I have a u-shape setup of four treadles with a swivel chair in center. Three of those machines are used in my quilting and the fourth treadle cabinet top holds my cutting mat and quilting items. I piece, quilt, and bind with four vintage sewing machines all in treadles. Each has their own task, and I don't have to fuss with setting them up for a specific job. I sometimes find the machines for free on CLs, or very cheap. I like to say that the vintage machines have a way of finding us. Which is why I have some machines decorating my bookcase.
    Do you ever get dizzy swiveling around in circles from machine to machine? :lol: Seriously tho, it sounds like a fascinating set up. Could you post a pic of your awesome set up please?

    Thanks,
    Nope, I don't get dizzy. :lol: There are some folks that just own one vintage Singer cabinet and switch their vintage Singer machines. Just find them cheap and clean them up. They're easy to service, make for cheap decor, and some sew a beautiful stitch for being 50-100 years old.
    Well all be darned. That's quite a set up you have there. :thumbup: All those beautiful old ladies standing there so stately to be admired and used when needed. What a neat idea! :thumbup: Thanks so much for sharing your a pic of your u-shaped sewing machine arrangement with us. That's just too cool! :D

  4. #79
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,969
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB
    I have 4:
    The first I got in the mid-80's, and love

    I found out if something happens to it, thye don't really make parrts for it anymore, so I bought one sold for parts only, one that works, and one model that's 'kind of the same'

    I only use one at a time, but I use it a lot, and have spares, or at least spare parts, for if it stops working
    I do that too, purchase (or pick up for free) more than one of the same model vintage machine as the back up machine. Most of the time it's cheaper than buying the part online.

  5. #80
    Junior Member adorabowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    Eleven was hardly toward the upper end of the range of responses. Some people collect vintage machines, just as some people collect spoons, ceramic figures, guns, handbags, jewelry, cars, antlers, etc. Who is to judge what is worthwhile to collect or not? Personally, I think sewing machines are among the more worthwhile things to collect, because they are USEFUL, and many of them hold or even increase in value, such that they could be sold off if need be. We all really only need three outfits for each season, right? One to wear, one in the wash, one ready to wear. Of my machines, 2 are out on loan, 2 are "clunkers" waiting to be trade-ins, 3 are featherweights (and I have two kids who want to inherit one each). I have multiple machines for my own use and pleasure. I mean, who needs any of this silly quilting hobby? We can all just buy blankets made in sweatshops, right?
    Couldnt agree more! :thumbup:

  6. #81
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Milton DE
    Posts
    3,160
    Very interesting setup...I like it...have to give it some thought, maybe I can get a treadle after all

    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    You would be surprised at how small a space is only needed to hold numerous machines. Some folks have told me that just one treadle or sewing cabinet will work, and just switch out machines heads. The machine head can be stored on bookcase when not in use. I have a u-shape setup of four treadles with a swivel chair in center. Three of those machines are used in my quilting and the fourth treadle cabinet top holds my cutting mat and quilting items. I piece, quilt, and bind with four vintage sewing machines all in treadles. Each has their own task, and I don't have to fuss with setting them up for a specific job. I sometimes find the machines for free on CLs, or very cheap. I like to say that the vintage machines have a way of finding us. Which is why I have some machines decorating my bookcase.
    Do you ever get dizzy swiveling around in circles from machine to machine? :lol: Seriously tho, it sounds like a fascinating set up. Could you post a pic of your awesome set up please?

    Thanks,
    Nope, I don't get dizzy. :lol: There are some folks that just own one vintage Singer cabinet and switch their vintage Singer machines. Just find them cheap and clean them up. They're easy to service, make for cheap decor, and some sew a beautiful stitch for being 50-100 years old.

  7. #82
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cumming GA (formerly, NJ)
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by vjengels
    I have three; one to piece, one to bind, and one to quilt. I don't have to mess with the tension on any of them when moving from start to finish.. ( and as a last resort.... if I can't afford to get a tune up on time I have a spare) I have a really small room,9x9 no closet; but manage to have 3 different stations... just a slight twist in the chair and I'm at a different machine.
    Me too!

  8. #83
    Senior Member Buzzy Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    452
    I have A Brother PC 6000
    A Brother PC 8500 sew/emb
    A Brother Ultra 2001 sew/emb
    A Babylock air threading serger
    A Singer serger
    A Babylock Professional Plus 6 needle emb
    Oh and 8 Tv's LOL
    We just can't stand to get rid of something that
    has become "part" of the family
    All used and watched daily !!!

  9. #84
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,093
    Blog Entries
    19
    Well, it's confession time. I have the following machines:

    A National Two-Spools Treadle
    1 Singer 15-91, in bentwood box case
    2 Singer 15-90s (I think) in cabinets (1 going to SIL)
    2 Necchi BUs in cabintes (1 to be rehomed)
    1 Singer FW, balck
    1 Singer 301, black (LOVE that machne)
    1 Singer 99, in bentwood box case
    1 Japanese Singer 66 Clone Made in Occupied Japan (Bel Air)
    1 Japanese 15 Clone (a Federal)
    1 Morse, Singer 15 clone
    1 Bernina Model 117L
    1 Singer 457
    1 Apartment Electric (newest - haven't played with it yet)
    1 Singer Model #362 (DD's machine that she sews with)
    1 Singer #6215 DH bought when we were married
    1 Brother plastic piece of crap going to niece-in-law
    1 something (Domestic) perhaps free at a garage sale

    This gives me 20 machines in all. I do refurbish them, make sure they sew and then rehome some of them. My DH is an enabler but I love tinkering with old machines. I am hoping to try to talk DH into letting me give the machine (the 6215) to my neighbor (she wants to learn to sew) so I can keep the Singer 457 (it has zigzag) for me. He mauy not let me but I'm gonna try anyway. I also have a line on several other machines.

  10. #85
    Super Member Debbie B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huber Heights, Ohio
    Posts
    2,341
    I have 3. One that was my first sewing machine years ago. It's just sitting in a closet. I've given it to my 13 year old granddaughter, but she has not taken it home with her, yet. A couple of years ago I bought a Brother to learn how to FMQ. The throat space is only 5", and so, I bought an older Singer (a Craig's List find) for my FMQ. It has a throat space of 7". I know it's only 2" more, but it helps. So, I use the Brother to piece & the old Singer for FMQ. I'm dreaming of a long/mid arm with frame or a sewing machine that has 11" or more throat space.

  11. #86
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B
    I have 3. One that was my first sewing machine years ago. It's just sitting in a closet. I've given it to my 13 year old granddaughter, but she has not taken it home with her, yet. A couple of years ago I bought a Brother to learn how to FMQ. The throat space is only 5", and so, I bought an older Singer (a Craig's List find) for my FMQ. It has a throat space of 7". I know it's only 2" more, but it helps. So, I use the Brother to piece & the old Singer for FMQ. I'm dreaming of a long/mid arm with frame or a sewing machine that has 11" or more throat space.
    You can get a lot more throat/harp space on another vintage Singer if you like. Here's a quote and a pic of how much space a Singer 201k has:

    "The harp size on a 201 is extremely generous, and as with most straight stitch only machines, there is tons of room in the needle bar area. This is great for visibility and for bulky or larger projects."

    I am fortunate to own one of these marvelous machines, a treadle even! :D I can't wait to learn how to treadle so I can take advantage of such awesome throat/harp space for FMQ.

    look at all this throat space!
    Name:  Attachment-217154.jpe
Views: 78
Size:  23.5 KB

  12. #87
    Super Member Debbie B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huber Heights, Ohio
    Posts
    2,341
    How big is that harp space? And can you lower the feed or does it have a plate? Does the 201 come in electric? Your machine is beautiful. I've only sewn on electric machines & have often wondered how hard or easy a treadle would be. Wish I had someone that I could watch sew on one of those old treadles. Thanks for the info.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B
    I have 3. One that was my first sewing machine years ago. It's just sitting in a closet. I've given it to my 13 year old granddaughter, but she has not taken it home with her, yet. A couple of years ago I bought a Brother to learn how to FMQ. The throat space is only 5", and so, I bought an older Singer (a Craig's List find) for my FMQ. It has a throat space of 7". I know it's only 2" more, but it helps. So, I use the Brother to piece & the old Singer for FMQ. I'm dreaming of a long/mid arm with frame or a sewing machine that has 11" or more throat space.
    You can get a lot more throat/harp space on another vintage Singer if you like. Here's a quote and a pic of how much space a Singer 201k has:

    "The harp size on a 201 is extremely generous, and as with most straight stitch only machines, there is tons of room in the needle bar area. This is great for visibility and for bulky or larger projects."

    I am fortunate to own one of these marvelous machines, a treadle even! :D I can't wait to learn how to treadle so I can take advantage of such awesome throat/harp space for FMQ.

  13. #88
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,354
    Blog Entries
    2
    For many years I had only one machine; a $50 Kenmore that I bought new in the late 60's. I was never crazy about that machine, so when it acted up on me in the mid 80's, I kicked it to the curb and bought a little viking. Now that was a great machine, and I am sorry that I ever loaned it out. Next was an 1130 Bernina, a nice machine that I still have. Once I got a vintage Featherweight, that became my go-to machine, and I don't use the Bernina so much any more. One thing led to another, and I now have a collection of vintage machines, most of which are in working order. Do I 'need' that many? No, but then I don't "need" all that fabric, either. Sewing machine collecting is a hobby that seems to grow on one with age. I enjoy tinkering with the old machines, and have a great appreciation for their quality. The computerized machines are great, but the fact is, they are built to be replaced, not repaired, much like our personal home computers. I truly believe that anyone who has a computerized machine needs to have a mechanical backup for when the fancy one is in the shop with a big repair bill. Sorta' like needing to have a Volkswagen if you also own a Jaguar.

  14. #89
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    137
    5, one is a serger. Since I'm a seamstress besides a quilter, they've all had their purpose at one time or another, and I still continually use 3 of them on a daily basis. My fourth one is a converted treadle that I started with (and I'll never, ever give her up!)and now she's just pretty to look at and the fifth gets to sew through canvas camper tops.

    Oops - make that 6 - someone was throwing out an old green Kenmore last weekend. They had the poor girl and her cabinet out for the garbage men and I just couldn't let her end up at the dump!

  15. #90
    Junior Member Diamondrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    194
    I had just one for well over 40 years until I took mine in for an annual cleaning one year. I was told even though it was old it was a good machine and that he could keep it running as long as one part didn't go on it. Since I didn't want to be without a machine I started looking at other machines. I didn't want a new one and happened to see a 15-91 that was for sale. I sat down and tried it out and fell in love with it and the vintage straight stitch machines, so I bought it. I have since picked up a couple treadles mainly because the price was right, I like sewing and antiques so they are right at home with an old oak ice box and an old oak crank telephone as well as several other antique pieces I have here.

    Nothing wrong with having one machine if it serves your purpose.

  16. #91
    Super Member deedum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bluebell
    Posts
    4,303
    Gee, this weekend I used 3 out of my 6 sewing machines, not including my sergers. I am quilting a full size quilt on the old singer 15, and some did some binding on my little bug of a janome. The big Janome is usually to do embrodiery or mending or quilting, which I used to put the binding on a baby quilt today, When my friends come over I make sure I have usually 5 sewing machines ready for a quick quilt we can piece in a day usually for a gift for our friends. The 99 I must admit I haveen't used much only cuz I haven't had a lot of spare time, but I will. Yep, I use mine, next week I will shake it up some and use the machines for diffrent things.

  17. #92
    skippitydodahquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lima, Ohio
    Posts
    186
    I have two. One I keep at home, and one I keep at my LQS, where I go almost every day to sew and hang out :).

  18. #93
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,093
    Blog Entries
    19
    I posted earlier that I have 20 machines. I do sew with all of them that are currently up and running which is approximately 10. The Necchis need to be checked out and then one will be rehomed. Approximately half of the machines will be rehomed as have 3 or 4 previous machines which I've acquired, cleaned up and passed them on. Some people PIF with fabric, I do the same with machines. I have had one potential recipient say "No thanks" b/c she wanted a better machine. I was offereing her a 15-91 for free. Some people just have no clue.

  19. #94
    Super Member chuckbere15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Madison Heights, MI
    Posts
    1,091
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    I posted earlier that I have 20 machines. I do sew with all of them that are currently up and running which is approximately 10. The Necchis need to be checked out and then one will be rehomed. Approximately half of the machines will be rehomed as have 3 or 4 previous machines which I've acquired, cleaned up and passed them on. Some people PIF with fabric, I do the same with machines. I have had one potential recipient say "No thanks" b/c she wanted a better machine. I was offereing her a 15-91 for free. Some people just have no clue.
    Just as well you didn't give her that beautiful machine, she would not have taken care of it or appreciate it.

  20. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    696
    I now have 4 machines.
    A Singer 2638. Just a simple mechanical machine that has a few decorative stitches.
    A Singer 457 that needs a new gear and cleaning
    A Singer 15-86 electric in a cabinet that DH rewired and will go in my sewing room when I have one.
    A 1880's Victor treadle that needs cleaning and the cabinet restored.

    I don't want any fancy newer machines. I just want one more - a Singer 27 treadle like my mother had.

    It's not a matter of need. The older machines are just fun.

  21. #96
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B
    How big is that harp space? And can you lower the feed or does it have a plate? Does the 201 come in electric? Your machine is beautiful. I've only sewn on electric machines & have often wondered how hard or easy a treadle would be. Wish I had someone that I could watch sew on one of those old treadles. Thanks for the info.
    The Singer 201 does come in either electric, treadle or hand crank. The throat/harp area is 8.25" wide. Yes, the feed dogs do lower for FMQ. See this first link for more specifics on what it does and how easily available parts are for it:

    http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx

    See this link for a quick history lesson on it, and learn why the 201 is purported to be Singer's "finest machine".

    http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm

    Here's a pic of my Singer 201k (k means it's from Kilbowie, Scotland).

    201k with cabinet open
    Name:  Attachment-217338.jpe
Views: 115
Size:  45.5 KB

    201k in parlor cabinet
    Name:  Attachment-217339.jpe
Views: 118
Size:  70.6 KB

  22. #97
    Senior Member jollyquilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    845
    Okay, okay, I bid a nuisance bid on ebay for a featherweight and now I have succombed to the club. I have been wanting one but I didn't thnk I had a chance at it but voila' it is now on the way to my new home. My second one to have the other is awfully big and heavy so it is just up on a cabinet, hope to use the new one. I really am kind of excited about it.

  23. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire England
    Posts
    90
    Oh boy!! What a question! I've worn out a Singer and a Viking, but then found a Bernina 801 then later a Bernina 1015 and then lusted after a Singer Featherweight. So the 1015 is in my Horn worktable, the 801 goes to workshops, and the Featherweight travels with me if I have a lot of other stuff to carry. I love them all. The Berninas do anything I ask.

  24. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire England
    Posts
    90
    Hi. Seeing your treadle brought back memories. My DMIL had one just the same. I had it for many years but recently sold it as I needed the room when we moved house.

  25. #100
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DC metro area
    Posts
    1,276
    I'm on the lookout for a treadle machine and a featherweight if I can find either for fantastic prices. Just because I think they are cool.

    I only have 2 machines. A White and a Viking DSE-hubby bought it for me a few years ago.

    The DSE stays at home and the White is my travel machine.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.