Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines

Blog Entries
    I have 5.... 1.)old pfaff that embroiders 2.)Singer featherweight (just cuz and maybe a class if I ever take one.)
    3.)pfaff 4.0 for sewing and 4.) juki straight stitch for stippling and putting smaller quilts together 5.) just got a 18" tin Lizzy long arm for putting quilt tops together
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

I don't think most quilters are that concerned with how many machines or which machines other quilters use. Although we do ask for advice about different machines when we are buying a new one. When members of this board share pictures of their recent quilts, I've read comments about the beauty of the quilt, and some members might ask about the pattern but I've never seen them ask what machine was used to piece it. To me a persons quilting ability has nothing to do with how many machines you own or use. That said I have 8 machines; 7 vintage and a babylock. 7 of my machines are used on a regular basis.

You know, when I first joined the board, and I would look at the pictures of everyone's sewing rooms, I used to wonder why on earth everyone had more than 1 machine. Ahh, well now I see lol. I have 3, a cheap Brother SQ9050 that I do all my piecing on and thought was all I needed. Then, I tried quilting my first quilt on it, which was a crib sized and decided that the small throat was not going to cut it for anything bigger. So, Viking Tribute 140 to do my quilting on, and I recently purchased a Brother PE770 just for embroidery. I do also love the look of the vintage machines, and now am thinking maybe I would like to add a 201 to the mix. Yes, very addicting hobby--machines and all; but having so much fun with it!
    ​Krysti

I have 5 sewing machines, 3 that are set up and used.

The 3 that I use are a vintage Singer 15-91 - for piecing and FMQ. Love to FMQ on this one! She's my favorite.

I also have a Singer 401, which I use for piecing, binding and decorative stitches. She sounds and feels powerful! No slipping around of fabric here, and no tugging to get multiple layers through.

Lastly, a Janome MC 4800, which I have to admit to using the least. I prefer the mechanical machines. Though last weekend I used all 3 machines on 1 project (a first!). Piecing on the 15-91, decorative stitches on the 401, and I needed the free arm on the Janome.

My 2 unused machines are a New Home (my first very basic sewing machine, it is 22 years old - still stitches just fine, does straight stitch and zig zag, has dials to turn for the stitches). And a Japanese Clone (needs electrical replaced, found it for $40 at an antique shop, was very intrigued with the badge that indicates it was made in Occupied Japan. Came with a cabinet to boot. Believe it is called a Bel Air).

Would have never thought I would have this many machines - but honestly, the 3 that I bought this year (2 Singers and the Bel Air) - cost me less than the straight stitch only machine I was looking to buy for the bigger harp space. I enjoy them each for a different reason.
    Dawn

Since Friday morning I have used six different machines. I did not use the treadle but probably will this week just because I enjoy it.

It is a HUGE luxury for me to have different machines set up for different tasks. Among the machines I used were a quilting machine, an embroidery machine, a serger, two vintage machines and my main machine - a Janome 6600. I got the vintage machines to travel with but I just love using them.

I'm not counting, but over the past 10 years about 16 various treadles, including a lightly rusted Howe and 2 pheasants. All need some cleaning and cabinet work and are waiting for me to "get a round tuit" someday. I also have 2 black and 1 white FWs which are in nice working condition, and a few vintage electric machines including an Elna Supermatic, Necchi, and black longbed 301. Started out with a trusty 1976 Kenmore and cams as a wedding present from my mother. Didn't sew much for many years, but fell back into quilting a few years ago. My hope is someday to fix them up and find some of them good homes before they invite any more friends to move in. Plan to start thinning the herd (mob?) down to 8 next year- beautified or not! I plan to keep only those that I will use and are pretty. Shallow, I know.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6