Old 06-21-2011, 11:57 AM
DogHouseMom

I only have 4 (ummm ... my non-sewing friends would say "only?").

My original machine is a 1983 Sears Kenmore that was a wedding gift from my first husband. Basic machine. Haven't the heart to get rid of it.

When I married second husband I started sewing again and was having repeated problems with Kenmore. Hubby #2 bought me a new machine - Husqvarna 535 Lily. At this time I was sewing garments and such.

Then I started quilting. While the Husky was good at it, I found after about 4 years that it wasn't the ideal quilting machine. I drooled over a Janome Horizon MC6600. When the 7700 came out a lot of ladies traded in their 6600's for the 7700 and I bought an "experienced" 6600 which I love. The two things I love on this machine are the integrated walking foot and the larger (than my Husky) harp area. When I bought it I originally intended on using my Husky to piece and my Janome to quilt. As it turns out, I'm using my Janome to piece and quilt. I still give my Husky a turn though :)

Last but not least is the new addition - an embroidery machine. Hubby wanted to buy me a sewing/embroidery machine back when I got the Husky and I balked and said I would never need/want embroidery. Within the last 3 months or so ... I found a need. I want to make embroidered quilt labels. I looked at a few machines, balked, whined, balked. I'm a practical person and I couldn't justify several hundred $$ for a machine that did nothing but make labels for quilts. Eventually husband asked what I was looking at on Craigs list etc, and I told him (and of course he said "I told you so"). That was 4-5 weeks ago or so. Last Wednesday he came home with an embroidery machine that "fell into his lap" (he won't tell me the whole story). It's not the machine I would have bought - but I didn't buy it and I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. It's basic, has the minimum but still has the USB capabilities so I'm calling it WONDERFUL.

And to be quite honest ... I'm really not interested in a Featherweight. Yeah, they're cute, but I really don't think I would like piecing on something that small. I don't travel with my machine so the weight of my 6600 doesn't bother me a bit. I wouldn't say no to one of those gorgeous old Singer Red Eye's or Egyptians though - electric - not treadle.