Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question re: using my Accuquilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-re-using-my-accuquilt-t176782.html)

sandyl 01-24-2012 08:00 AM

Question re: using my Accuquilt

If I only want to cut one of the shapes from a die-do I need to cover the other shapes on the die to protect the cutting mat from the cutters?
Sandy

nena 01-24-2012 08:09 AM

Waiting for this answer. I have been wondering the same thing.

Havplenty 01-24-2012 08:22 AM

i dont have an accuquilt but was considering whether to purchase and i watched the accuquilt demo video online. the other cutters on the die mat were not covered when only one die was used. there are so many demo videos online and i didnt see anyone cover the other dies to use one shape. accuquilt suggests turning the mats often to get extended use from them.

question, do you find the accuquilt a worthy tool to have? is it's usefulness really worth the cost of the machine? would you recommend it?

smcfadden 01-24-2012 08:29 AM

Absolutely! It makes cutting so quick.

Originally Posted by Havplenty (Post 4905770)
i dont have an accuquilt but was considering whether to purchase and i watched the accuquilt demo video online. the other cutters on the die mat were not covered when only one die was used. there are so many demo videos online and i didnt see anyone cover the other dies to use one shape. accuquilt suggests turning the mats often to get extended use from them.

question, do you find the accuquilt a worthy tool to have? is it's usefulness really worth the cost of the machine? would you recommend it?

sandyl 01-24-2012 08:31 AM

I just received mine yesterday so I really can't answer with any authority yet. However, I do find myself rotary cutting into my ruler!! And I know my cutting is not exact, I'm hoping this fixes that. Thanks, Havplenty for your answer.
Sandy

kat112000 01-24-2012 08:33 AM

You really can't cover it with anything that will protect the mat. I just cut what I need.

luvTooQuilt 01-24-2012 08:35 AM

You do not have to cover the 'other' cutout with fabric HOWEVER you do need to cover the blades with the mat to protect your rollers...

No matter what, the die will make a cut into the mat whether you cover with fabric or not. So of if its something you may think you will use at another time then cover with fabric and save that cutout, but not necessary to cover the whole die for just one cut out.. ..

auntpiggylpn 01-24-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 4905824)
You do not have to cover the 'other' cutout with fabric HOWEVER you do need to cover the blades with the mat to protect your rollers...

No matter what, the die will make a cut into the mat whether you cover with fabric or not. So of if its something you may think you will use at another time then cover with fabric and save that cutout, but not necessary to cover the whole die for just one cut out.. ..

You beat me to it!!!

Groucho 01-24-2012 10:02 AM

I saw an intriguing tip in a video from author Sharon Pedersen. She uses a piece of old mat (obviously she uses the Accuquilt a lot more than most of us!) to cover just the portion of the die she plans to use. I'm not sure it's worth
cutting up a good mat to do this, but I thought it was a clever idea.

I don't think doing this would negatively impact the roller, because there is a "gap" between the roller and the die board. I'll have to take a look at this.

romanojg 01-24-2012 12:19 PM

I don't. I just put down what I need and cut.