Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Question re: using my Accuquilt

  1. #1
    Super Member sandyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Delaware, Ohio
    Posts
    1,358

    Question re: using my Accuquilt

    If I only want to cut one of the shapes from a die-do I need to cover the other shapes on the die to protect the cutting mat from the cutters?
    Sandy

  2. #2
    Super Member nena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,691
    Waiting for this answer. I have been wondering the same thing.

  3. #3
    Super Member Havplenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MO (the Show Me state)
    Posts
    2,975
    Blog Entries
    8
    i dont have an accuquilt but was considering whether to purchase and i watched the accuquilt demo video online. the other cutters on the die mat were not covered when only one die was used. there are so many demo videos online and i didnt see anyone cover the other dies to use one shape. accuquilt suggests turning the mats often to get extended use from them.

    question, do you find the accuquilt a worthy tool to have? is it's usefulness really worth the cost of the machine? would you recommend it?

  4. #4
    Senior Member smcfadden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Smithville, TX
    Posts
    565
    Absolutely! It makes cutting so quick.




    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    i dont have an accuquilt but was considering whether to purchase and i watched the accuquilt demo video online. the other cutters on the die mat were not covered when only one die was used. there are so many demo videos online and i didnt see anyone cover the other dies to use one shape. accuquilt suggests turning the mats often to get extended use from them.

    question, do you find the accuquilt a worthy tool to have? is it's usefulness really worth the cost of the machine? would you recommend it?

  5. #5
    Super Member sandyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Delaware, Ohio
    Posts
    1,358
    I just received mine yesterday so I really can't answer with any authority yet. However, I do find myself rotary cutting into my ruler!! And I know my cutting is not exact, I'm hoping this fixes that. Thanks, Havplenty for your answer.
    Sandy

  6. #6
    Senior Member kat112000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sioux Lookout, ON
    Posts
    939
    You really can't cover it with anything that will protect the mat. I just cut what I need.
    Kathy

  7. #7
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,119
    Blog Entries
    1
    You do not have to cover the 'other' cutout with fabric HOWEVER you do need to cover the blades with the mat to protect your rollers...

    No matter what, the die will make a cut into the mat whether you cover with fabric or not. So of if its something you may think you will use at another time then cover with fabric and save that cutout, but not necessary to cover the whole die for just one cut out.. ..

  8. #8
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    You do not have to cover the 'other' cutout with fabric HOWEVER you do need to cover the blades with the mat to protect your rollers...

    No matter what, the die will make a cut into the mat whether you cover with fabric or not. So of if its something you may think you will use at another time then cover with fabric and save that cutout, but not necessary to cover the whole die for just one cut out.. ..
    You beat me to it!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    38
    I saw an intriguing tip in a video from author Sharon Pedersen. She uses a piece of old mat (obviously she uses the Accuquilt a lot more than most of us!) to cover just the portion of the die she plans to use. I'm not sure it's worth
    cutting up a good mat to do this, but I thought it was a clever idea.

    I don't think doing this would negatively impact the roller, because there is a "gap" between the roller and the die board. I'll have to take a look at this.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    4,984
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't. I just put down what I need and cut.
    Judy

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    463
    I'm working on a GFG and can't imagine doing all that cutting without my Go! I cut 6 fabric hexes and 2 cardboard templates with each pass. I think it is worth the $$$

  12. #12
    Senior Member sewingmom3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    683
    My friend cut out a whole rag quilt today and I have cut out enough charms for 2 quilts very quickly. Very much worth it. I received the studio when I ordered my HQ Fusion a few years back, the dies cost more, but I am slowly get some basic ones.

  13. #13
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,119
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    I saw an intriguing tip in a video from author Sharon Pedersen. She uses a piece of old mat (obviously she uses the Accuquilt a lot more than most of us!) to cover just the portion of the die she plans to use. I'm not sure it's worth
    cutting up a good mat to do this, but I thought it was a clever idea.

    I don't think doing this would negatively impact the roller, because there is a "gap" between the roller and the die board. I'll have to take a look at this.
    The mats that go with the GO are basically disposable.. Use them till the cuts are deep and the threads get caught in the grooves and replace.. the mats in my opinion are not expensive- I would rather replace my $15 mat then have to buy another GO.... Ive seen the 'green' mats being used.. they say it works great- I dont have a green mat to try and I know most of us, We are always looking to be more 'green'... I buy my mats when on sale, in bulk and ask for them for any occasion.. Ive got alot of backup mats- So I wont be using 'green' anytime in my near future..

    the 'gap' is no longer a gap when the die gets run thru the rollers so you MUST have a mat to cover ALL die blades otherwise you will 'cut' into your rollers..

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2
    You only need to cover the shape that you want to cut with fabric and you only need to cover the fabric that you want cut with the mat.. The blades do not move so the blades that are left exposed do not touch the roller. There are many video's on YouTube that are interesting to watch.

  15. #15
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is no reason not to cover the whole die with your mat. There is a GOOD reason to cover the entire die with your mat and that is the blades should never be uncovered when passing through your machine as the pressure from the rollers push down onto the die and will touch your rollers.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2

    AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter

    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    There is no reason not to cover the whole die with your mat. There is a GOOD reason to cover the entire die with your mat and that is the blades should never be uncovered when passing through your machine as the pressure from the rollers push down onto the die and will touch your rollers.

    I really don't mean to be argumentative - the roller will not touch the blades while the die is traveling under the roller. Place your fabric that you want to cut just over the shape you want to cut. Place the GO! cutting mat over the fabric that you want cut. Here is a perfect example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYh268wPzUE

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    i dont have an accuquilt but was considering whether to purchase and i watched the accuquilt demo video online. the other cutters on the die mat were not covered when only one die was used. there are so many demo videos online and i didnt see anyone cover the other dies to use one shape. accuquilt suggests turning the mats often to get extended use from them.
    question, do you find the accuquilt a worthy tool to have? is it's usefulness really worth the cost of the machine? would you recommend it?
    Absolutely one of the best purchases I have made. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and was struggling to keep things accurate--the Accuquilt Studio has taken that problem away from me and also save my hands and wrists. Love it!

  18. #18
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,119
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamelann View Post
    I really don't mean to be argumentative - the roller will not touch the blades while the die is traveling under the roller. Place your fabric that you want to cut just over the shape you want to cut. Place the GO! cutting mat over the fabric that you want cut. Here is a perfect example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYh268wPzUE
    I saw the tute to what she is referring to.. My GO does not have the gap and i cannot 'slide' my die like this lady did ... But my GO is quite a few years old -who knows, maybe the new ones are a bit different than the older ones? .. My blades would slice right to the rollers..
    Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-25-2012 at 11:37 AM.

  19. #19
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I cut my used Go mats to fit around the die shapes that I only want cut. Good tin snips cut the mats easy. The die blades only come out of the foam if a mat is over it. It takes the thickness of the mat to compress the foam to expose the blades. I was listening very closely when a DH apparently an engineer, was interrogating the demo person at the Go booth last year in Paducah, with every design question he had. In fact he was the one that after examining every cut that said so the mat is what made the blades expose, not the rollers. I think he did everything but take one apart! He did buy two of them, one for his wife and one for his sister.
    Got fabric?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.