Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question re: using my Accuquilt >

Question re: using my Accuquilt

Question re: using my Accuquilt

Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM

I'm working on a GFG and can't imagine doing all that cutting without my Go! I cut 6 fabric hexes and 2 cardboard templates with each pass. I think it is worth the $$$
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 AM

My friend cut out a whole rag quilt today and I have cut out enough charms for 2 quilts very quickly. Very much worth it. I received the studio when I ordered my HQ Fusion a few years back, the dies cost more, but I am slowly get some basic ones.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I saw an intriguing tip in a video from author Sharon Pedersen. She uses a piece of old mat (obviously she uses the Accuquilt a lot more than most of us!) to cover just the portion of the die she plans to use. I'm not sure it's worth
cutting up a good mat to do this, but I thought it was a clever idea.

I don't think doing this would negatively impact the roller, because there is a "gap" between the roller and the die board. I'll have to take a look at this.
The mats that go with the GO are basically disposable.. Use them till the cuts are deep and the threads get caught in the grooves and replace.. the mats in my opinion are not expensive- I would rather replace my $15 mat then have to buy another GO.... Ive seen the 'green' mats being used.. they say it works great- I dont have a green mat to try and I know most of us, We are always looking to be more 'green'... I buy my mats when on sale, in bulk and ask for them for any occasion.. Ive got alot of backup mats- So I wont be using 'green' anytime in my near future..

the 'gap' is no longer a gap when the die gets run thru the rollers so you MUST have a mat to cover ALL die blades otherwise you will 'cut' into your rollers..
Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 AM

You only need to cover the shape that you want to cut with fabric and you only need to cover the fabric that you want cut with the mat.. The blades do not move so the blades that are left exposed do not touch the roller. There are many video's on YouTube that are interesting to watch.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

There is no reason not to cover the whole die with your mat. There is a GOOD reason to cover the entire die with your mat and that is the blades should never be uncovered when passing through your machine as the pressure from the rollers push down onto the die and will touch your rollers.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Default AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
There is no reason not to cover the whole die with your mat. There is a GOOD reason to cover the entire die with your mat and that is the blades should never be uncovered when passing through your machine as the pressure from the rollers push down onto the die and will touch your rollers.

I really don't mean to be argumentative - the roller will not touch the blades while the die is traveling under the roller. Place your fabric that you want to cut just over the shape you want to cut. Place the GO! cutting mat over the fabric that you want cut. Here is a perfect example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYh268wPzUE
Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
i dont have an accuquilt but was considering whether to purchase and i watched the accuquilt demo video online. the other cutters on the die mat were not covered when only one die was used. there are so many demo videos online and i didnt see anyone cover the other dies to use one shape. accuquilt suggests turning the mats often to get extended use from them.
question, do you find the accuquilt a worthy tool to have? is it's usefulness really worth the cost of the machine? would you recommend it?
Absolutely one of the best purchases I have made. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and was struggling to keep things accurate--the Accuquilt Studio has taken that problem away from me and also save my hands and wrists. Love it!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Tamelann View Post
I really don't mean to be argumentative - the roller will not touch the blades while the die is traveling under the roller. Place your fabric that you want to cut just over the shape you want to cut. Place the GO! cutting mat over the fabric that you want cut. Here is a perfect example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYh268wPzUE
I saw the tute to what she is referring to.. My GO does not have the gap and i cannot 'slide' my die like this lady did ... But my GO is quite a few years old -who knows, maybe the new ones are a bit different than the older ones? .. My blades would slice right to the rollers..

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-25-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I cut my used Go mats to fit around the die shapes that I only want cut. Good tin snips cut the mats easy. The die blades only come out of the foam if a mat is over it. It takes the thickness of the mat to compress the foam to expose the blades. I was listening very closely when a DH apparently an engineer, was interrogating the demo person at the Go booth last year in Paducah, with every design question he had. In fact he was the one that after examining every cut that said so the mat is what made the blades expose, not the rollers. I think he did everything but take one apart! He did buy two of them, one for his wife and one for his sister.