Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question...storage of fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-storage-fabric-t131087.html)

BarbP 06-18-2011 03:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'll have to disagree with most of you as I like the wire basket drawers. The air can flow through and they don't get musty smelling. I have the fabric rolled on boards so it's easy to see what I have. Here's some pictures.

Drawers open showing fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213212[/ATTACH]

Stack under cutting table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213213[/ATTACH]

TV Stand
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213214[/ATTACH]

pinecone 06-18-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dotha
Yes, pinecone, nice storage. Love your fabric. I have that same piney one that you have...light background with the pineneedles and cones. I recognized a few of what you have as being in my stash also.

I have more variations of pinecone fabric, I'm always on the lookout when shopping. I didn't show you the flannel closet or the wire cubes that I have added from a store that went out of business. I have also added another shoe cubby for FQs but I still fold the fabric the same.

piney

jpthequilter 06-19-2011 09:12 PM

Definitely shelves, they are much more efficient!
About 3 sq ft of floor space will give 15 to 18 linear feet of storage space. Multiply that by 3 units to equal the floor space occupied by Dresser drawers - can't even come close, plus it is much easier to find and compare colors

toodie11 06-20-2011 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my drawers for the under one yard pieces, I have two sets of drawers sorted by color and theme(xmas, brights)and on top is my cutting mats. Shelves for the larger pieces.I will try and add a picture

Jennifer22206 06-20-2011 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is how I have my fabric. Excuse the unfolded fabric, this was taken before I folded it and put it away.

Dotha 06-20-2011 05:21 PM

Thank you to everyone for their great ideas and photos. My son has a sign business so he is going to make some boards for me.

bgullett 06-20-2011 05:25 PM

No drawers, you cannot see all you have. I look to look at my fabric.

Annya 06-23-2011 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I vote for shelves too cause I like to be able to SEE my colors and patterns. Wouldn't like to rummage through drawers because then I'll have to take the time to refold the fabric. I have tried the drawer thing and it didn't work for me...

I have both drawers and boxes and I found that you cannot put a lot of fabric in them so you can see what they are as if I had shelves. I do not have the space for them so opted for the boxes and not buy too much fabric at one time.(NOT)
I recommend shelves if you can, tell your DH you need shelves.

ThayerRags 06-23-2011 08:43 AM

Does anyone hang their fabric stash on hangers in a closet?

For years, my wife has always tended to buy at least 3 yards of any fabric that she added to her stash. Sometimes she would get 5-7 yards. To store her typically large pieces, she has enjoyed a walk-in closet with a seven-foot long hanging rod for her main fabric stash storage for a long time now. I added an additional support attached to the ceiling joists midway along the rod to hold the weight. She figured out a way to fold the fabrics on the hangers to use the space below the rod to the best advantage, and also could be folded one more time to cut off a piece when she needed it, sometimes without even removing the fabric from the hanger. She loved it.

There was one interruption to her system when we moved to another town for 5 years and she had to store all of her fabric in plastic tubs during that time. She hated it.

Now we’re back in the original house and her fabric is once again on hangers in the walk-in closet. The problem now is that we’re having my Mother come live with us in the next few months, and that closet is in the room we’ve decided to set up for Grandma (for several reasons to accommodate Grandma’s needs). The fabric stash will have to be moved.

We have another room with a walk-in closet that has only a five-foot long hanging rod, so we’re going to have to come up with something else to make up the difference. We’re thinking that a portable clothes hanging rack next to the closet may be an option. (The rest of the room is being used for storing our other junk.) She still sticks to her old ways of acquiring fabric in 3-7 yard pieces, even since fat quarters have become common. I don’t know if she even has a FQ in her stash at all, so her storage consists of pretty much large pieces only. She cuts her scraps up into useable-size blocks or strips shortly after completing each project, and those are stored in clear plastic tubs by size.

CD in Oklahoma

pinecone 06-23-2011 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Does anyone hang their fabric stash on hangers in a closet?

Once a top is made I sometimes hang it in the closet along with the backing, kit form. That way the backing doesn't get used for something else. I also have the leftover fabrics on the hanger too if I want to make a dresser scarf or a runner for the cedar chest.

piney