Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-t142470.html)

Painiacs 08-03-2011 08:45 PM

How often are you suppose to change the needle in your machine?
2. If u have older singers are u still suppose to take them in once a year? How do u afford it when u have multiple machines??

virtualbernie 08-03-2011 09:02 PM

How old are you talking about? My old machines are 75-100 years old. They are easy to maintain--no need to take them anywhere--just keep all the gears oiled up and the bobbin area clean.

cjomomma 08-03-2011 09:03 PM

Wish I could answer this for you but I'm really bad about changing my needles and neither of my machines have been professionally serviced. I just can't afford it so I try to keep them cleaned and oiled.

irishrose 08-03-2011 09:06 PM

Old machines are easily cleaned by their owners. That's part of their beauty. I change my needle every time I start a new project.

amma 08-03-2011 09:19 PM

I change my needles when I hear them make a popping sound, or my stitches aren't right LOL OR on the rare occasion that I remember it has been a while :oops:

I clean my own machines, and do not take them in unless they need a repair that I cannot do :D:D:D

willis.debra 08-03-2011 10:32 PM

My machine has not been serviced by a pro. I just clean and oil and if anything needs to be fixed I either get a repair book or find a tutorial on the net. I like to do everything myself if I can.

coloradosky 08-03-2011 11:41 PM

My husband bought me a Viking for Christmas about 5 years ago. I set it up so I could use a cone of thread (with the thread coming from the back side of the machine) and, yes, even though I took precautions the thread coming from behind wound a hundred times around the hand wheel. I almost cried because our Viking dealer had just closed its doors and all I could see was big $$$ signs in front of my eyes if I took it to a repair shop. I worked for hours trying to manually unwind the thread. Oh, did I mention it was Sulky Rayon thread, Ugh! I finally gave up. When my husband got up that morning I confessed and showed him the machine. He got the plastic wheel off and I was able to remove a lot of the thread but it had gotten down inside the plastic case around the arm that holds the wheel on. I sat there and checked all the places where it appeared the case separated and found another screw to remove and, walla, the case came off and I was able to remove every bit of thread. I gave the machine a good cleaning inside (surprisingly very little thread or lint accumulation) put that baby back together and she purrs like a kitten! Of course, I would never have attempted this if the machine was still under warranty. Even the newer machines can be maintained (to some degree)at home.

Flying_V_Goddess 08-03-2011 11:51 PM

I seem to test the limits of my needles so typically my needles get changed whenever they break! I try to change mine after some heavy useage (a large quilt pieced and quilted, several quilt tops, or several smaller projects).

ckcowl 08-04-2011 01:35 AM

needles should be changed between each project or after 8 hours of sewing time--which ever comes first- and sooner if you start having uneven or skipped stitches- some fabrics will dull the needle faster than others.

you should clean your machine every second bobbin---and if it's a new-fancy machine---follow the maintenance guidelines in your manual--they tell you how to clean it and oil-if it needs to be oiled-
if you start having problems with stitch quality or other issues it may have to go to a shop-but you should be able to do 98% of the maintenance yourself for years. i do have a computerized machine- which i've been taking care of for a long time- it's been in to a shop once in the past 5 years--had a problem with my reverse ... but that was a whole different matter :)

Glassquilt 08-04-2011 03:49 AM

You can take care of an older mechanical machine yourself.
A newer electronic/computerized one needs a bit more than the average sewer can do. In part it depends on how much you use it. If you only sew once in a while you can stretch out the time between shop visits.