Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question for you experts out there (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-you-experts-out-there-t137837.html)

Quilt Mom 07-15-2011 01:14 PM

In the movie 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' the girls dresses are decorated with quilt blocks around the hem. Some are set straight, and some on point. The skirt is made as usual, and blocks appliqued, it appears. That might be workable for your dolls.

wordpaintervs 07-15-2011 01:42 PM

that sounds pretty. One more great idea.

Thanks

mom-6 07-15-2011 04:22 PM

Don't know if it would be cost effective, but have you thought of using 1/4" elastic in the waist of the skirt, or a yarn drawstring tied in a bow? I would think that would be quicker and easier.

wordpaintervs 07-15-2011 04:32 PM

that sounds workable, then I could 'tack it onto the top of the dress' couldn't I? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks

Pinkiris 07-15-2011 04:38 PM

Your dolls are so cute. They are surely loved by the little kids who get them. Bless you for making "lovies" for these kids.

How about sewing a small casing at the top of the skirt, inserting a piece of 1/4" elastic (cut to the waist size of the doll) and feeding it into the casing with a safety pin. The elastic would do the gathering for you.

Sue

bjchad 07-15-2011 04:43 PM

Any 8 inch finished block would work. That is 8 and a half inches square before sewn together. You would need to do a piece 2 blocks wide by 6 blocks long. This will give you 16 and a half by 48 and a half inches and you could trim down the extra 1/2 inch or just make your seam allowances bigger to take in the difference.

Also 4 inch finished blocks. In a piece 4 blocks by 12 blocks

Or 16 inch finished blocks in a piece 1 block by 3 blocks.

Hope this helps.

hobbykat1955 07-15-2011 05:00 PM

How abt working in "Dresden Plate wedges"

wordpaintervs 07-15-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
Your dolls are so cute. They are surely loved by the little kids who get them. Bless you for making "lovies" for these kids.

How about sewing a small casing at the top of the skirt, inserting a piece of 1/4" elastic (cut to the waist size of the doll) and feeding it into the casing with a safety pin. The elastic would do the gathering for you.

Sue

That might work, but would need to then tack it to the top of the dress. Bet it would save time, and that I like the idea of .....a lot. Thanks you.

quiltmom04 07-15-2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs

Originally Posted by Holice
I would use a patchwork printed cheater cloth.
or put a simple checkerboard patchwork band around the bottom of the skirt. You could do the patchwork and then sew a wide piece of plain fabric and iron it to the back for the backing, with no batting. Then if you have a serger can serge the border to the rest of the skirt.

never heard of a patchwork cheater sheet. Where would I find one.

What a great idea also to serge the skirts together. Here I've been hand sewing the skirts together and that would save lots of edge triming and sewing time. Thanks so much.

A "cheater" cloth is fabric that is printed with a quilt pattern. I like to use them especially for smaller projects like this, because you get the look of a quilt without the bulk of so many seams. Most fabric stores have some, and online might be a good source.

grann of 6 07-16-2011 04:20 AM

Hi Vickie, I have been thinking of you and how you were doing with your dolls. My DGD asked too. If you decide to go with any elastic, I have bolts of it here that I don't use any more since the kids have grown into adults. If you want it PM me and I will send it to you. I have several widths. And how is your lace holding up? I was given a box of assorted laces. I will see if I have any "cheater" quilting fabric. Actually, I just got some given to me that might work. PM me if you need any more supplies.