Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quick question..anyone sewn a quilt & used fleece for the backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quick-question-anyone-sewn-quilt-used-fleece-backing-t67302.html)

judylg 09-28-2010 04:03 PM

I have a rather large quilt top that I would like to use fleece for the backing, am not having batting in it, relying on the fleece to make this a warm & cozy quilt. My question....will 505 work to glue the two together or will I have to pin, was thinking of laying the quilt top first with unfinished side facing up and spraying then laying fleece on it. If it would hold well enough would turn over and pin in spots. Any one with experience with doing this? Thanks.

wolfkitty 09-28-2010 04:05 PM

A lot of people use fleece for backing and batting both. I believe they go ahead and quilt as usual. I'll leave that for others.

AlwaysQuilting 09-28-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by judylg
I have a rather large quilt top that I would like to use fleece for the backing, am not having batting in it, relying on the fleece to make this a warm & cozy quilt. My question....will 505 work to glue the two together or will I have to pin, was thinking of laying the quilt top first with unfinished side facing up and spraying then laying fleece on it. If it would hold well enough would turn over and pin in spots. Any one with experience with doing this? Thanks.

505 spray and some safety pins where needed worked for me. I also lengthened my stitch a little, used a walking foot and first stitched in the ditch a horizontal and vertical line nearest the center of the quilt (where ever the seams on the front were) to sort of anchor it.
Good luck.

joyceinoh 09-28-2010 04:38 PM

I make those kind of quilts all the time. Some of them I tie, others I quilt. Fleece is hard to hand quilt but worked out OK on my 6600
I find a good quality fleece that washes up nice.
They are light weight and warm :)

judylg 09-28-2010 04:40 PM

Am going to start it tonight, have to iron out the top, has been done for quite some time. I hope this works, hoping too, that the time and extra work of using batting is not as big of a problem as sewing the fleece.

Jodie02b 09-28-2010 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just did my first quilt with fleece, quilt top and fleece

judylg 09-28-2010 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jodie02b
I just did my first quilt with fleece, quilt top and fleece

Very nice, did you add batting, too?

Jodie02b 09-28-2010 05:11 PM

No I didnt want it to be too hot, an oddly enough I was lucky to find a perfect match it was totally not planned at all

judylg 09-28-2010 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jodie02b
No I didnt want it to be too hot, an oddly enough I was lucky to find a perfect match it was totally not planned at all

Isn't that funny, that has happened to me as well, absolutely no planning and oddly enough it matches like it was bought together and planned. You have to love those moments, I do.

Jodie02b 09-28-2010 07:09 PM

I was so happy and so was my son. Now if I could get the next one to be less indecisive. I bought some pirate fabric but no clue what I am going to do.