Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Quick question..anyone sewn a quilt & used fleece for the backing?

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,322
    I have a rather large quilt top that I would like to use fleece for the backing, am not having batting in it, relying on the fleece to make this a warm & cozy quilt. My question....will 505 work to glue the two together or will I have to pin, was thinking of laying the quilt top first with unfinished side facing up and spraying then laying fleece on it. If it would hold well enough would turn over and pin in spots. Any one with experience with doing this? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    A lot of people use fleece for backing and batting both. I believe they go ahead and quilt as usual. I'll leave that for others.

  3. #3
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,701
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by judylg
    I have a rather large quilt top that I would like to use fleece for the backing, am not having batting in it, relying on the fleece to make this a warm & cozy quilt. My question....will 505 work to glue the two together or will I have to pin, was thinking of laying the quilt top first with unfinished side facing up and spraying then laying fleece on it. If it would hold well enough would turn over and pin in spots. Any one with experience with doing this? Thanks.
    505 spray and some safety pins where needed worked for me. I also lengthened my stitch a little, used a walking foot and first stitched in the ditch a horizontal and vertical line nearest the center of the quilt (where ever the seams on the front were) to sort of anchor it.
    Good luck.

  4. #4
    Junior Member joyceinoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    285
    I make those kind of quilts all the time. Some of them I tie, others I quilt. Fleece is hard to hand quilt but worked out OK on my 6600
    I find a good quality fleece that washes up nice.
    They are light weight and warm :)

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,322
    Am going to start it tonight, have to iron out the top, has been done for quite some time. I hope this works, hoping too, that the time and extra work of using batting is not as big of a problem as sewing the fleece.

  6. #6
    Jodie02b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    231
    I just did my first quilt with fleece, quilt top and fleece
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie02b
    I just did my first quilt with fleece, quilt top and fleece
    Very nice, did you add batting, too?

  8. #8
    Jodie02b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    231
    No I didnt want it to be too hot, an oddly enough I was lucky to find a perfect match it was totally not planned at all

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie02b
    No I didnt want it to be too hot, an oddly enough I was lucky to find a perfect match it was totally not planned at all
    Isn't that funny, that has happened to me as well, absolutely no planning and oddly enough it matches like it was bought together and planned. You have to love those moments, I do.

  10. #10
    Jodie02b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    231
    I was so happy and so was my son. Now if I could get the next one to be less indecisive. I bought some pirate fabric but no clue what I am going to do.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie02b
    I was so happy and so was my son. Now if I could get the next one to be less indecisive. I bought some pirate fabric but no clue what I am going to do.
    Believe it or not, sometimes us quilters buy material that eventually way down the road we use. If not for our kids then our grandkids!

  12. #12
    Super Member SuziC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,708
    Quote Originally Posted by judylg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie02b
    I was so happy and so was my son. Now if I could get the next one to be less indecisive. I bought some pirate fabric but no clue what I am going to do.
    Believe it or not, sometimes us quilters buy material that eventually way down the road we use. If not for our kids then our grandkids!
    Yes that's true. I had fabric stored for one of my son's quilts and never got to it. So now i am making a quilt for his little son with that fabric.

  13. #13
    Senior Member sistahdebbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northern California via MD
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by joyceinoh
    I make those kind of quilts all the time. Some of them I tie, others I quilt. Fleece is hard to hand quilt but worked out OK on my 6600
    I find a good quality fleece that washes up nice.
    They are light weight and warm :)
    I love your avartar, did you take the pic? B&W photos are the best

  14. #14
    Senior Member jdeery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    436
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have used flannel on the back of baby quilts, it is nice because they stay on. And they are so soft. We gave them from our church to the Pregnancy Centers in our area.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.