Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Quick Ripper...the holy grail of seam rippers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quick-ripper-holy-grail-seam-rippers-t241138.html)

BrendaK 02-16-2014 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by gale (Post 6576748)
Thanks to everyone who keeps reminding me that it's a shaver. First I have never seen a shaver like this. My husband uses a different type. Second, I have no problem paying a little more to keep a quilt business going. Sheesh. Just saying.

Thanks gale for starting this thread. I would not have thought of using something like this if you hadn't. BrendaK

ladydukes 02-16-2014 05:40 AM

I got one like that at a quilt show. I use it all the time and it works great. Yep you have to be careful or you will cut the fabric. How do I know? You guessed it...

Janie67 02-16-2014 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by gale (Post 6576574)

I recently bought one at a quilt show. I have used several times with mixed reviews. It does leave many little partial threads on the fabric that seems like more than with a conventional ripper. I had never seen the video before. If you look closely she has tape on the edge of the bottom fabric to help keep it flat and provide tension with lifting the top fabric and therefore works better than trying to hold both with your hands. Not sure I will tape fabric so will continue to experiment.

Yooper32 02-16-2014 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6576557)
I use plastic eyebrow trimmers I can get 3 for a buck at the dollar store ! They are a wire wrapped little razor that work like a charm !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462509[/ATTACH]

This is my great solution too. A tad of caution is in order, but I haven't sliced anything that I shouldn't have yet.

lizzy 02-16-2014 06:57 AM

Good to hear about the new seam ripper. My daughter brought me one and I have yet to open it. I keep picking up my older seam rippers. I am eager to see how well the rubber end picks up the small threads.

MaggieLou 02-16-2014 07:50 AM

I just commandeered my DH's mustache trimmer. It's basically the same thing and works like a charm.

brendadawg 02-16-2014 11:35 AM

I, too, love my little electric seam ripper which my DH got for me over a year ago. (Knock on wood) I've only cut the fabric one time and that was my fault. I need another one so might try the moustache trimmer. Wonder if that blade would be sharper than the seam ripper one.

JanieH 02-16-2014 01:38 PM

Hmmm, I see a trip to WalMart in my future = this looks really interesting and worth trying.

caspharm 02-16-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6576557)
I use plastic eyebrow trimmers I can get 3 for a buck at the dollar store ! They are a wire wrapped little razor that work like a charm !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462509[/ATTACH]

I might have to try this. I have put too many holes in fabric (for my liking) with a traditional seam ripper.

oldtisme 02-16-2014 06:36 PM

I bought one & tried using it a few times, I didn't really care for it. You have to manipulate the fabric in certain ways for it to work well.