Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The quick ripper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quick-ripper-t252925.html)

Onebyone 09-03-2014 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by gale (Post 6871348)
I have one but when I posted about it here, I got ridiculed for not buying a mustache trimmer instead. Luckily I'm used to that so I don't care but I like mine.

I know how you feel. It really irks me when I buy something and get told you wasted your money you could have bought this or made do with that. Like I didn't know. I do know that's why I bought it. I wanted the one I bought not the make do or substitute version. The mustache trimmer was made for cutting hair and it will cut fabric. I have proof of that. The one made for cutting threads is much gentler and not so easy to cut the fabric. That's why I buy the tool made for the job.

quilterjody 09-03-2014 07:36 AM

I have one and love it. I have cut my fabric with it, but I have done that with my regular seam ripper.

Pete 09-03-2014 09:53 AM

Love it and batteries never died for me.

mercer63 09-03-2014 01:54 PM

I went online and bought a men's beard trimmer for $7 and change and it works really good. Have had it over a year and haven't changed the batteries yet.

jeank 09-04-2014 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by gotta-sew (Post 6872198)
Love mine, turning it upside down seems to eliminate the fabric cutting problem.

I find it works better this way also.

JAGSD 09-04-2014 03:17 AM

I have one and have had it over a year and am still on the same battery. I love it and have had no problems with it cutting the fabric. Used it also when taking feather stitches out that I had long armed and area and didn't like how it turned out. What a life saver.

juliea9967 09-04-2014 03:55 AM

I bought one about 3 years ago. I absolutely love it and it will replace it with a new one if it ever dies. It travels with me wherever I go to sew. Once I forgot it when we left to go camping in the woods for 6 weeks in our 5th wheel. I got into a situation where I needed it bad, so I tried my husbands beard trimmer. It did the job but not near as well. I am considering buying another one just to keep in the 5th wheel. To me it is a necessity, just like my rotary cutter. Sure, I can cut with scissors if I have to, but why would I "want" to.

Prissnboot 09-04-2014 03:56 AM

I don't worry if I buy something at a quilt show that I find cheaper after the fact - I look at that item as my souvenir from the show. Rationalize where you can, ladies!

mimi=17 09-04-2014 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot (Post 6873725)
I don't worry if I buy something at a quilt show that I find cheaper after the fact - I look at that item as my souvenir from the show. Rationalize where you can, ladies!

I think I am your twin,,HUGS

Billi 09-04-2014 05:02 AM

I love my quick ripper $15-$20 BFD what is that in the grand scheme of things. Nice regular seam rippers are what $3 each, get dull and have to be replaced, and who only has 1 so I bought less fabric that month I would absolutly do it again it has saved me hours of time and frustration. I've had it for 9 months or longer and have not needed to change the battery yet. A couple of weeks ago I used it to remove several rows of my poor quilting way better than picking each stitch one by one.