Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The quick ripper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quick-ripper-t252925.html)

mike'sgirl 09-02-2014 07:18 AM

The quick ripper

Has anyone tried this seam ripper. It's battery powered and had a few good reviews, no bad ones. I saw it on Amazon. It's a little expensive at 15.49. But if it works and saves time ripping, which I do more than I want to admit, Lol, then it might be worth it. What do you think?

ladeg 09-02-2014 09:28 AM

I bought one, and it works nicely. I did find that I changed batteries more often than I would like. So I bought a Wahl Peanut. I no longer have to replace batteries which upped the cost over the long term. They both work very well. I prefer the one I plug in. It never failed, that when I had a long seam to rip, the batteries always died before I was done or got so weak that I had to get out a manual ripper to finish. Now, I do not have to keep a big batch of batteries on hand.

The WHAL Peanut cost more at first, but soon pays for it self. Best I have used. I got mine on Amazon or ebay.

gale 09-02-2014 09:39 AM

I have one but when I posted about it here, I got ridiculed for not buying a mustache trimmer instead. Luckily I'm used to that so I don't care but I like mine.

tessagin 09-02-2014 11:02 AM

Not abut to pay $15. for a seam ripper. I have more than a dozen. would rather get a good ruler or better yet more fabric.

Originally Posted by gale (Post 6871348)
I have one but when I posted about it here, I got ridiculed for not buying a mustache trimmer instead. Luckily I'm used to that so I don't care but I like mine.

gale 09-02-2014 11:06 AM

Why did you quote me when you said that? I was not asking the question.

quiltingcandy 09-02-2014 11:12 AM

I bought one at a quilt show, it was my special purchase for the show. And it does work well. A friend said it looked like a mustache trimmer to her, and she is right, but I was there and it looked cool. They said it does not cut into the fabric and that is not totally true, I had trouble when I was trying to remove decorative stitches. But I do like it if i have a lot to unsew.

DonnaC 09-02-2014 11:14 AM

I bought one at a recent quilt show, and believe it or not, I have yet to use the thing regularly, although it does work very well! However, the price you're quoting is really good... I paid over $20 at the show (she admits sheepishly). :)

quiltstringz 09-02-2014 11:53 AM

It really does come in handy especially on long straight seams - however it is a mustache/beard trimmer and you can probably find one cheaper at wally world

jeank 09-02-2014 12:33 PM

I bought the one at the quilt show, cost over 20.00. I peeled off the sticker, it was a Whal that Amazon has for half the price. New use, higher price. Like Barnum said, there is a sucker born every minute and I was one.

I do use it and you have to be careful, it will cut your fabric (I did it).

mary quilting 09-02-2014 01:08 PM

I have one and like it as jeank said I did cut my fabric once. I now tilt it up a bit.