Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt for an 11 year old boy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-11-year-old-boy-t32893.html)

ginnie6 01-02-2010 09:17 AM

I'm getting ready to start a pinwheel quilt for my 8yo ds. He absolutely loves quilts though and will sit there looking at them with me and telling me which ones are pretty. He likes the pinwheel pattern, the log cabin pattern, and the three rail fence pattern...oh and overhaul Sam too!

Favorite Fabrics 01-02-2010 09:24 AM

It might be that what appeals to a boy most is not so much the design, but the choice of fabrics. If you can pick ones that play to his individual interests (sports, animals), and then put together a color combination that's not too juvenile, that might work.

littlehud 01-02-2010 10:01 AM

Both those quilts are cool. I think either one would work for an 11 year old boy.

brookemarie19 01-02-2010 10:22 AM

Both quilts are awesome! They also look simple enough that I might be able to pull it off... hehe. Thanks so much for all of your help today, I might actually be able to make him one after all.

MadQuilter 01-02-2010 10:34 AM

IMHO, the thing about "boy" quilts is not so much in the pattern but in the colors and the fabric choices.

Thanks for posting the square in a square baseball quilt. I am going to borrow that approach on a baseball quilt I have to make.

life is sweet 01-02-2010 11:04 AM

I made a quilt for my son years ago which he loved. It was a simple log cabin made from corduroy - black, gray, red and cream. Fast, easy, looked great and was not girly in the least. The quilt is now about 25 years old and I just realized I still have the leftover corduroy! Time to get rid of it.

amma 01-02-2010 01:08 PM

For a boy that age...the puzzle pieces made out of deer, fish, sports fabrics that aren't juvenile would be fun too. Kind of a puzzle withing a puzzle design :D:D:D

shaverg 01-02-2010 02:04 PM

It is definitely about the fabric. My nephews baseball quilt was actually a really frilly victorian fabric. Does not even look close to the picture in the book. Although worked out great for a boys quilt once I changed the fabric.

Pinkiris 01-04-2010 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I copied this picture of a quilt that someone posted a few weeks back. I'll soon be making a quilt for my 13 year old grandson and thought I might copy it with different fabrics.

I've bought a focus fabric that is allover bright colored dice. He loves to play games, so I thought that would be a good starting point. The rail fence part will be done in coordinating prints in the jewel colors of the dice.

I agree that with boys, and kids in general, it's all about the fabric prints, not so much the quilt pattern.

Sue

Papa John 01-04-2010 10:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some "Boy" quilts I did but I came up with my own patterns.

My Mother-in-law's Angel quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62727[/ATTACH]

Luke's Baby Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62729[/ATTACH]

Whitney's Kobe Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62976[/ATTACH]