Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt for 3 year old boy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-3-year-old-boy-t288629.html)

ktbb 06-01-2017 05:24 AM

for a simple one, use a panel with roads and buildings as the center and add borders to the size you need. give him a small motorcycle toy to go along with it. As an extra surprise, make a 3D pocket to "garage" the motorcycle - either over the top of an actual garage on the panel or add one to a top corner or on the label on the back....I've made one for several different small children and they have loved it both as a play mat and as a quilt.

Jordan 06-01-2017 05:41 AM

ArtsyOne-really cute quilt. I agree with most of the QB members-I Spy quilt would take in all of the the interests of the 3 year old boy and it would be fun collecting small pieces of fabric to put into the quilt. Have fun.

klswift 06-01-2017 06:58 AM

When my youngest was is high school, she would make lap quilts for her friends to take to outside competitions to keep warm. Simple quilts with flannel instead of batting so they could roll them up and stick them in backpacks. She usually used a basic pattern of 6 inch blocks with sashing and cornerstones. The blocks were of things that the person enjoyed or made her think of them. They always worked! Her best buddy got one of pirates, musical notes, the beach and eyeglasses! She used a common color to each fabric (navy blue) for sashing and a variety of colors for the cornerstones. He is now 30 and still has it on his couch.

Innov8R 06-01-2017 07:32 AM

I love Artsyone's example. I don't live where I can purchase specialty fabrics like that easily. I would do the quilt using blocks embroidered with images that represent his interests. Together they would make a personal statement and retain some degree of compatibility in the quilt itself using the common denominator of "embroidered" blocks.

callen 06-02-2017 05:21 PM

I second the suggestion of an "I Spy" quilt. That way you can incorporate all of his interests. I also like the quilt done by ArtsyOne.

Carol Paoff 06-04-2017 03:04 PM

Quilt for 3 year old boy

Originally Posted by Carol Paoff (Post 7834546)
I have made 2 quilts for 2 of my grandchildren. Now I need ideas for my 3 year old boy. He loves motorcycles, but also birds, Star Wars and super heroes. I think the motorcycle theme will last longer than the others but I have no ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

These are great ideas. He loves I Spy books so that is a great idea. Thank you everyone.

mountainwoman 06-04-2017 07:51 PM

I just made a Star Wars rag quilt for my grandson who just turned four. He loves it. Last year I made a rag quilt using her favorite color, alternating the blocks with images of Elsa and Anna from the Disney move Frozen. Young children really enjoy rag quilts, and they are so quick and easy to make. I'm sure whatever theme you use, he will love it!

mountainwoman 06-07-2017 09:13 AM

Oh, I love this quilt! Is this called an "I Spy" quilt? How is this made? Is there a pattern and perhaps a tutorial available? My four and six year old grandchildren would love a quilt like this, each featuring their special interests.