Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-back-t235940.html)

Jingle 12-03-2013 05:26 AM

I prefer to use wholecloth backs. Using blocks in the backing is sometimes hard to match so they look straight. By the time I get to the backs I am tired of piecing. I guess I am getting a bit lazy too.

bigsister63 12-03-2013 06:11 AM

I have used all three- wide backing, 45" backing sewed together, and pieced . The wide baxcking is by far the easiest, then the 45" sewed together and then (never to do again) pieced. I just finished a 80x90 quilt that I pieced the baching by sewing 6" wide strips together. I had extra fabric and I wanted to save $$$. What a chore. It seemed like a never ending process and not worth the $$ savings. Also it was hard to center the quilt top on the pieced backing. Also I am not really picky about my backing as long as they coordinate with the top. In fact I do not like the backing that I pieced for the last top. As for the 45" fabric- I like Kona cotton- it comes in many colors and has a nice hand and seems to add body to the quilt

Sheilz 12-03-2013 06:24 AM

That's so cool. Love it.

Maggiemay 12-03-2013 06:46 AM

I usually use 45" fabric sewn together. More often than not I use flannel for my backs. Sometimes I piece some fabric from the front & incorporate it in the back, sometimes not. I have done one all pieced back. It took quite a bit of time but I was determined not to buy fabric for that quilt. I liked how it turned out & I would do it again. I find the center of the quilt back & pin all the way across the width of the quilt then, by feel, line up the center of the front with the back using the feel of the pins as a guide. Not a real fancy method, but I've had good luck keeping my pieced backs lined up straight.

charsuewilson 12-03-2013 07:20 AM

I prefer the wide backs. I haven't noticed a difference in quality. They are a little cheaper to buy for the square footage that you need. I have used some left over wide backs for piecing and for borders.

I've also pieced the backs, usually a full WOF in the center, and half a WOF on each side. But you end up with less than 90" that way,and my quilts are generally wider than that.

ManiacQuilter2 12-03-2013 12:28 PM

I wouldn't add to the thickest of a T-shirt quilt. I would use whole cloth.

quiltmom04 12-04-2013 05:27 AM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a pieced back. It doesn't have to be intricate - I use fat quarter chunks, but it is so much more fun to turn over a quilt and see something else going on, other than a plain fabric, or heaven forbid, muslin. (Sorry, muslin fans, just my opinion)

Geri B 12-04-2013 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 6437878)
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a pieced back. It doesn't have to be intricate - I use fat quarter chunks, but it is so much more fun to turn over a quilt and see something else going on, other than a plain fabric, or heaven forbid, muslin. (Sorry, muslin fans, just my opinion)

Nothing better for me than a good quality muslin for backs....when washed, soft as marshmallow, and what a way to get a whole cloth...although I never turn mine to backside...why did I do all that work on the front! Save all that good printed cloth for the front of the quilt.......that's what an occasional scrappy is for. JMHO

Shorebird 12-04-2013 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie (Post 6436043)
mpspeedy2 don't cut up the pillowcases! Use them to store your finished quilt. Many quilters like to rotate their quilts and may even change them seasonally. I launder my finished quilt and then store it in its matching pillowcase. If I have a pile of quilts in the linen cupboard, I don't have to pull out quilts to check which one I have. One look at the pillowcase lets me know. I often make a matching pillowcase with the scraps just for this purpose or add a strip of quilt fabric to the purchased pillow case for easy identification and it looks great!

What a wonderful idea...

misseva 12-04-2013 09:36 AM

I use muslin for backing AND as blenders on the front. Just sayin.