Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt back >

Quilt back

Quilt back

Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Default Quilt back

I have used pieced fabric and even used some left over added in to make back. The last customer quilt I used the extra wide backing fabric because I had nothing left that would look good . So now just finished a t-shirt quilt top I am on the fence pieced or whole ? What do you prefer? I will quilt on hq16
Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 PM

i prefer whole cloth backs, though i have seen some awesome pieced ones too.

would a whole cloth back give a t-shirt quilt some needed stability?

i have never made one of those...

aileen
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 PM

I like whole cloth.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 PM

Whole cloth is cheaper but honestly I think the quality of the fabric is cheaper. Just my opinion. I have bought both and even the moda wide backs seem to be corse compared to yardage. I haven't washed any yet so I don't know if they get softer. Whole cloth is definitely less work
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 AM

I prefer a whole cloth backing although I have tried piecing my backing. One major problem a LAQ had with a friends pieced backing was it matching her front seams and the bulk being very difficult to sew over. I think it broke needles and thread.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449696[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]449697[/ATTACH]This is the back and then the front of a t-shirt baby quilt I made for my cousin. I pieced the back with leftover t-shirts that were the wrong size for the front. It was machine quilted on my DSM. I did not have problems with the quilting. I like wide backs and pieced backs. It depends on how much fabric I have to use for the back. If it is a gift for someone like my sons teacher/PT/OT, I lean towards using a wide back. If it is for me or a close family member, I will do whatever...
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 AM

The wide backs are intentionally more coarsely woven to enhance the quilting process. They are not intended for piecing purposes. I've used them only a couple of times. I will often piece my backs, using leftover fabric from the front. Sometimes they get quite "interesting." I even made a reversible quilt once, pieced on both sides.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:58 AM

I am working on a T shirt quilt for a customer. I purchased a set of double bed sized sheets from Walmart. They are I think 300 thread count 100% cotton and soft as butter. I plan on using the flat sheet for the back and cutting up the bottom sheet for borders etc. If I need the extra fabric I can also cut up the pillowcases. I am usually a hand quilter but for this project I will machine quilt on my Bernina. The worst part is having to stabilize all of those shirts.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 AM

Interesting factoid about wide backs. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 AM

mpspeedy2 don't cut up the pillowcases! Use them to store your finished quilt. Many quilters like to rotate their quilts and may even change them seasonally. I launder my finished quilt and then store it in its matching pillowcase. If I have a pile of quilts in the linen cupboard, I don't have to pull out quilts to check which one I have. One look at the pillowcase lets me know. I often make a matching pillowcase with the scraps just for this purpose or add a strip of quilt fabric to the purchased pillow case for easy identification and it looks great!