Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-backing-t22870.html)

davis2se 07-16-2009 02:02 PM

I read on the internet recently about taping your quilt backing down on a clean floor or on tables large enough to hold the quilt sandwich. That sounds like SUCH a great idea to me, since that is one of my major challenges as a relatively new quilter - getting the back nice and flat and smooth so that I can baste or pin the batting and top to it. But I can't find that article again, and I don't recall that it indicated what kind of tape to use if you are going to do this. Do any of you out there do this when putting together your quilt sandwich? If so, what kind of tape do you use. I'm thinking maybe painter's tape, but just not sure. any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

MadQuilter 07-16-2009 02:07 PM

Yes, I tape my backing on a large table using blue painter's tape. (I actually put my ironing board in front of the table to extend the table space. I have yet to have any problems with that method.)

The key is not to overstretch your backing (or batting, or the top, for that matter). I just gently pat every component down from the center out. Helps to NOT be in a hurry.

katier825 07-16-2009 02:16 PM

Painter's tape and Masking Tape work well. I've even used regular scotch tape late at night when I couldn't find either of the others. :) I have to use my living room floor most of the time because it's the largest area I have. It works even on carpet. I use spray baste. It does help to tape the back to the floor. I have found that my quilts are smoother that way.

davis2se 07-16-2009 04:13 PM

Thanks so much fto everyone for their quick response. I am trying to finish a quilt for a niece's wedding coming up soon, and I think this will make a world of difference in the time it takes to finish it. but just in case, keep your fingers crossed for me. thanks again

mic-pa 07-16-2009 04:36 PM

I always tape my backing down using masking tape. I also go to the social rooms at church and push there tables together to baste or pin the three layers together. Helps my back not to have to do it on the floor. Marge

RedGarnet222 07-16-2009 04:52 PM

The blue painter's tape is the best! Yes this is an old trick quilter's have used a long time. You can also use the big office clips too if your table is skinny enough that you are working on. I am glad you found it out, that is ging to help you tremendously keeping the bottom straight. There is a book called, Every Trick in the Book. That has tons of tricks like this to help you to learn these things. I don't think it is very expensive and well worth the few dollars you will spend. I saw it on e bay recently, used, for cheap.

littlehud 07-16-2009 06:02 PM

Masking tape is my choice. It works great and holds my backing down just fine. My only problem is the cats come running as soon as they see me lay the fabric down. :D :D :D

ScubaK 07-16-2009 07:35 PM

I have used painters tape, masking tape and even Duct tape...
All works great...
If you do it in one session...
Might leave residue if you leave it for any length of time.
Kirsten

Bevanger 07-17-2009 04:29 AM

I tape mine to my banquet tables using painters tape , so I can pin it. If I got down on the floor heaven help me I couldn't get back up. :lol:

tlrnhi 07-17-2009 04:35 AM

I've used painters tape and have also safety pinned my quilts to the carpeting too! It works!