Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Backing

Blog Entries
    I read on the internet recently about taping your quilt backing down on a clean floor or on tables large enough to hold the quilt sandwich. That sounds like SUCH a great idea to me, since that is one of my major challenges as a relatively new quilter - getting the back nice and flat and smooth so that I can baste or pin the batting and top to it. But I can't find that article again, and I don't recall that it indicated what kind of tape to use if you are going to do this. Do any of you out there do this when putting together your quilt sandwich? If so, what kind of tape do you use. I'm thinking maybe painter's tape, but just not sure. any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I tape my backing on a large table using blue painter's tape. (I actually put my ironing board in front of the table to extend the table space. I have yet to have any problems with that method.)

The key is not to overstretch your backing (or batting, or the top, for that matter). I just gently pat every component down from the center out. Helps to NOT be in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Painter's tape and Masking Tape work well. I've even used regular scotch tape late at night when I couldn't find either of the others. :) I have to use my living room floor most of the time because it's the largest area I have. It works even on carpet. I use spray baste. It does help to tape the back to the floor. I have found that my quilts are smoother that way.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much fto everyone for their quick response. I am trying to finish a quilt for a niece's wedding coming up soon, and I think this will make a world of difference in the time it takes to finish it. but just in case, keep your fingers crossed for me. thanks again

I always tape my backing down using masking tape. I also go to the social rooms at church and push there tables together to baste or pin the three layers together. Helps my back not to have to do it on the floor. Marge

The blue painter's tape is the best! Yes this is an old trick quilter's have used a long time. You can also use the big office clips too if your table is skinny enough that you are working on. I am glad you found it out, that is ging to help you tremendously keeping the bottom straight. There is a book called, Every Trick in the Book. That has tons of tricks like this to help you to learn these things. I don't think it is very expensive and well worth the few dollars you will spend. I saw it on e bay recently, used, for cheap.

Masking tape is my choice. It works great and holds my backing down just fine. My only problem is the cats come running as soon as they see me lay the fabric down. :D :D :D

I have used painters tape, masking tape and even Duct tape...
    All works great...
    If you do it in one session...
    Might leave residue if you leave it for any length of time.
    Kirsten

Banned
    I tape mine to my banquet tables using painters tape , so I can pin it. If I got down on the floor heaven help me I couldn't get back up. :lol:

I've used painters tape and have also safety pinned my quilts to the carpeting too! It works!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    and have also safety pinned my quilts to the carpeting too! It works!
    Usually one only does that once (or one intents to only do it once - speaking from experience). lol

One point I wanted to add: If you use pins for basting, I would suggest the bent quilting pins and spend the extra money to get the closing tool. (Looks like a screwdriver with a blunt end and it saves your fingers.)

Don't lay out your sandwich on anything where scratches would be a bad thing. It is easy to scratch the surface with the pins - particularly when working fast.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    and have also safety pinned my quilts to the carpeting too! It works!
    Usually one only does that once (or one intents to only do it once - speaking from experience). lol

One point I wanted to add: If you use pins for basting, I would suggest the bent quilting pins and spend the extra money to get the closing tool. (Looks like a screwdriver with a blunt end and it saves your fingers.)

Don't lay out your sandwich on anything where scratches would be a bad thing. It is easy to scratch the surface with the pins - particularly when working fast.
    I saw Eleanor (QIAD) use these and it was neat

I love the bent pins. With a coupon at Joanns you can get the multi colored covers for them that make it easier to handle.
    You can use a crochet hook or a grapfruit spoon to help hook the pins but I do have the wooden handled tool that is easy on the hands.
    You can use the big metal clips or you can buy the plastic round clips that hold smoothly to a 1 inch table. I use both, the smooth clips for the backing and the black clips for the top.

I never thought of a crochet hook. I tore my fingers up the other night pinning a quilt. After I ran out of pins I was looking for more and came across my "tool" that I used to use (forgot about it). 1/2 a clothes pin. I even put notches in it to catch the pin end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now I save my picture as a bit map instead of jpeg and it still didn't come up.

Like the idea of the crochet hook to help. That would help when basting as well. Sometimes my fingers get sore lifting needle up to pull through. The other day I used wooden skewers from my kitchen to do this, will drag out some crochet hooks before I take my next project to baste.

And yes, I use masking or painters tape to tape my backing to tables at the church to sandwich my quilts together.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    I never thought of a crochet hook. I tore my fingers up the other night pinning a quilt. After I ran out of pins I was looking for more and came across my "tool" that I used to use (forgot about it). 1/2 a clothes pin. I even put notches in it to catch the pin end.
    Hey great idea kiddo. I actually am weird I guess. I use the big pins. Safety pin size.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    Now I save my picture as a bit map instead of jpeg and it still didn't come up.
    Did you "preview"? THat seems to kick the picture out. BTW - it downloaded just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Yes, I tape my backing on a large table using blue painter's tape. (I actually put my ironing board in front of the table to extend the table space. I have yet to have any problems with that method.)

The key is not to overstretch your backing (or batting, or the top, for that matter). I just gently pat every component down from the center out. Helps to NOT be in a hurry.
    Blue painter's tape is a great method. I buy it at the Dollar Store.

If you have access to a ping pong table, that also makes a large surface to lay a quilt out on. You can take the net off the middle if your quilt is large enough.