Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt backs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-backs-t220027.html)

Nammie to 7 04-27-2013 05:11 PM

I use the backing ---for a backing. I want it to be pucker free and not have too many knots and bad areas but I really want the focus on the top. I'm not an heirloom quilter - more of a functional quilter.

maminstl 04-27-2013 06:41 PM

I like to do a little something on the back with the leftover pieces from the front - nothing fancy, just a personal touch. It is an opportunity for me to design it myself after following a pattern on the front. Don't always do it, but most of the time I will. Definitely shows that it is a handmade item!

Lori S 04-27-2013 06:46 PM

It depends on how it will be quilted. I am a fan of plain backings when beautiful custom quilting is done. Its like having a whole cloth quilt on the back... and I do use both sides.

jeaniedrain 04-27-2013 07:27 PM

I once took a class in which the teacher showed a number of quilts she had done. The quilts were examples of some of the techniques we were there to learn. The fronts of those quilts were works of art that I can only dream of. The backs were ugly. She stated that as long as you use quality fabric, it really didn't matter what the back looked like. I have found that I can't put that kind of back on my quilt. My backs may be plain but I still want them to at least enhance the front.

gale 04-27-2013 10:05 PM

I just use the leftover fabric to piece the back-in the largest pieces possible. If i don't have enough, I have some random fabric I've bought on clearance to add. I don't worry a lot about how the back looks although I love the look of a pieced back. And I love that it uses up leftover fabric.

QuiltnMyra 04-27-2013 10:15 PM

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. My main purpose in making a quilt is to enjoy the process, the whole process, and if the fun extends to the back then that's double the joy - for me anyway.

sarahspins 04-27-2013 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeaniedrain (Post 6030404)
She stated that as long as you use quality fabric, it really didn't matter what the back looked like. I have found that I can't put that kind of back on my quilt. My backs may be plain but I still want them to at least enhance the front.

I am with you.. after the time put into a quilt (and I've only ever made two!) I can't fathom not caring about what the back looks like, especially if it was a quilt mean to be used and I'm going to see it often. I prefer to use either a coordinating or contrasting fabric, but it has to be appealing to me somehow... I'd never be happy if I used something I didn't like.

earthwalker 04-27-2013 10:19 PM

The backs seem to give me the most grief in the whole process.....I agonise for ages, put off doing them and all said and done, they are quite boring....nothing remotely clever involved in mine:)

QM 04-27-2013 10:31 PM

for me, the back is mainly just functional, although I have made a few reversible quilts. In my guild, the trend is to make a pleasant display of leftovers for the back.

Painiacs 04-27-2013 10:38 PM

Im with Boston! Im not that talented!!:-)