Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt backs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-backs-t220027.html)

margie77072 04-26-2013 08:06 AM

Quilt backs

Ever since I started on the board and started quilting there has been a GREAT emphasis on the back of the quilt. So many of the beautiful quilts I have seen are really a double sided quilt. Each side a beautiful work of art, particularly once the quilting is added. And that's great, really! However, I wonder if our quilting ancestors were as concerned about the back as we are, or were they mainly concerned that the front was the focus and done wonderfully and the back was a secondary concern. In this hurried life, so much emphasis is placed on multi-tasking and dual duty. We are looked at strangely if we make something that is meant to be used only one way. It is wonderful when a quilt can be used front or back and it's still beautiful but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. A nice neat back is okay, even if you had to add to it or whatever. So, I say, fellow quilters....GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK.....it's okay for the back to be just functional

newbee3 04-26-2013 08:16 AM

I agree I think we try to do the quilts too fast and also the backs is probably a good way to use up the fabric that we have since we have to piece it might as well use that to our advantage

irishrose 04-26-2013 08:23 AM

I've had to add simple piecing to a few backs in order to have enough fabric and discovered I do like the look for throw type quilts, but I wouldn't do it for a bed quilt. The only throw size I did double sided was because I didn't like the front. Another because I ran out of space on the front for all I wanted to do so I put the pictures on the back. I think one fabric backs are just fine.

crafty pat 04-26-2013 08:28 AM

When I finish a top I let it guide me to the kind of back it will have. Sometimes I have changed my mind several times before I choose one. My DM did a lot of hers with sheets but I have never done that with any of mine.

Boston1954 04-26-2013 08:40 AM

I have always attempted to make sure that the back is of equal quality to the front, but I do not feel that it has to match. I did put complimentary fabric on some wall hangings that I gave away. None of mine are double sided. I am not that talented.

DebraK 04-26-2013 08:52 AM

I back with whatever I have available and however my mood strikes me. There is nothing wrong with making "functional" pretty too. It's not a hardship for me.

postal packin' mama 04-26-2013 09:37 AM

Making the quilt reverisble results in virtually two quilts that only required one batting, one binding, and take up the shelf space of only one quilt.
In my posting ("declared war on my scrap bag"), I made both sides very different and utilized lots of scraps. It's nice to be able to 'change quilts' by just flipping it over. :)

PaperPrincess 04-26-2013 10:01 AM

I only pay attention to the back if it's a throw. If it's going on a wall or a bed, I usually go with a nice muslin.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-26-2013 10:07 AM

I would like to have a true double sided quilt, but I'm not able to line things up the way I'd like so the quilting doesn't come out correctly for both sides. Because of that most of my quilts have single piece backs or backs that are pieced from two pieces of like fabric.

All in all, as with all things quilting, I think people should do whatever makes them smile.

QuiltnNan 04-26-2013 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama (Post 6027604)
Making the quilt reverisble results in virtually two quilts that only required one batting, one binding, and take up the shelf space of only one quilt.
In my posting ("declared war on my scrap bag"), I made both sides very different and utilized lots of scraps. It's nice to be able to 'change quilts' by just flipping it over. :)

i sure can see the advantages of this method :)