Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Basting Guns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-basting-guns-t63910.html)

stefanib123 09-09-2010 04:04 PM

Someone posted an ebay link a little while back for 2 quilt basting guns for $5. I got them today and they work great!

I'm going to baste whole quilt tomorrow with it, I can't wait! It will be so much easier.

I was kind of afraid that they would be crap, but for $5 it wouldn't hurt if they were. Happy to say they are not crap, LOL!

I love getting new toys.

Quiltforme 09-09-2010 04:06 PM

Good to know cannot wait to use mine!

hobo2000 09-09-2010 04:08 PM

I have one that I have never used. I like pins that I can take out quickly when I get close to them

Baysidegal 09-09-2010 04:12 PM

Oh good, I bought them too, but have not had a chance to use them yet

Kitsie 09-09-2010 08:15 PM

I really enjoyed mine before I found basting spray! But its very handy. A little difficult to find and remove all the tack later as I'm still finding out from the bed quilt I did a few months ago!

A very useful gadget! I could then take my quilts to the local library to use their big tables. Think they'd frown on the smell of the basting spray, especially if all the books stuck together!

LAQUITA 09-09-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
Someone posted an ebay link a little while back for 2 quilt basting guns for $5. I got them today and they work great!

I'm going to baste whole quilt tomorrow with it, I can't wait! It will be so much easier.

I was kind of afraid that they would be crap, but for $5 it wouldn't hurt if they were. Happy to say they are not crap, LOL!

I love getting new toys.

I have a friend that just bought one and i was thinking about it but not sure yet. Can you send the link out please?

trif 09-09-2010 10:49 PM

I have used mine to baste an entire king size quilt(this was before my purchase of a grace frame). I found the plastic tacks easy to quilt over, however, the basting spray kept the quilt together tight where the gun left a lot of loose fabric. I also hated clipping all the tacks out and cut a couple small holes in my quilt, So Be Very Careful! I would recommend that you try it on a small quilt first to see if you are happy with the process. Good luck.

Lacelady 09-10-2010 01:40 AM

There is a little gadget available to cut out the tacks. It sort of scoops up the T shaped end of a tack, and slices it off. I haven't cut any of my blocks using this.

leatheflea 09-10-2010 01:57 AM

I got one for my b-day. I guess its what you get used to using. I still pin, they are reuseable and hold well. I do occassionally use basting spray also, with pins too. The gun allows to much shifting of the layers for me.

quiltmaker 09-10-2010 05:17 AM

I use Sullivan's Basting Spray and love it. I despise basting, pinning, and having to remove the plastic thingies from the gun. Once they came out with spray I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Course you need a well ventilated area and I wear a mask so I don't breathe in the vapors.