Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Basting Guns

Someone posted an ebay link a little while back for 2 quilt basting guns for $5. I got them today and they work great!

I'm going to baste whole quilt tomorrow with it, I can't wait! It will be so much easier.

I was kind of afraid that they would be crap, but for $5 it wouldn't hurt if they were. Happy to say they are not crap, LOL!

I love getting new toys.

Good to know cannot wait to use mine!

Blog Entries
    I have one that I have never used. I like pins that I can take out quickly when I get close to them

Oh good, I bought them too, but have not had a chance to use them yet

Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed mine before I found basting spray! But its very handy. A little difficult to find and remove all the tack later as I'm still finding out from the bed quilt I did a few months ago!

A very useful gadget! I could then take my quilts to the local library to use their big tables. Think they'd frown on the smell of the basting spray, especially if all the books stuck together!

Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    Someone posted an ebay link a little while back for 2 quilt basting guns for $5. I got them today and they work great!

I'm going to baste whole quilt tomorrow with it, I can't wait! It will be so much easier.

I was kind of afraid that they would be crap, but for $5 it wouldn't hurt if they were. Happy to say they are not crap, LOL!

I love getting new toys.

I have a friend that just bought one and i was thinking about it but not sure yet. Can you send the link out please?

I have used mine to baste an entire king size quilt(this was before my purchase of a grace frame). I found the plastic tacks easy to quilt over, however, the basting spray kept the quilt together tight where the gun left a lot of loose fabric. I also hated clipping all the tacks out and cut a couple small holes in my quilt, So Be Very Careful! I would recommend that you try it on a small quilt first to see if you are happy with the process. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    There is a little gadget available to cut out the tacks. It sort of scoops up the T shaped end of a tack, and slices it off. I haven't cut any of my blocks using this.

I got one for my b-day. I guess its what you get used to using. I still pin, they are reuseable and hold well. I do occassionally use basting spray also, with pins too. The gun allows to much shifting of the layers for me.

I use Sullivan's Basting Spray and love it. I despise basting, pinning, and having to remove the plastic thingies from the gun. Once they came out with spray I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Course you need a well ventilated area and I wear a mask so I don't breathe in the vapors.

I have one of those basting guns but have not use it yet. Have close do you have to place the tacks?

Blog Entries
    I got one at Tuesday Morning a couple of weeks ago, but haven't used it yet but was wondering about where to get the replacement tacks.

I have a friend that just bought one and i was thinking about it but not sure yet. Can you send the link out please?

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

There's actually TWO for $5! With free shipping! You also get black and white tacks with them, I think 500 of them.

At that price, you cant beat it. Even if I don't use them a whole lot, they are definitely worth that price.

I'm sending a friend on here one of them. So, you could keep one for you, and one for a friend!

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I got one for my b-day. I guess its what you get used to using. I still pin, they are reuseable and hold well. I do occassionally use basting spray also, with pins too. The gun allows to much shifting of the layers for me.
    I wondered about it allowing shifting. I just played around with it, but with thinner quilts, it looks like there may be some room in between.

I'll have to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower Girl
    I got one at Tuesday Morning a couple of weeks ago, but haven't used it yet but was wondering about where to get the replacement tacks.
    I've found some cheap on ebay, not sure where else might have them. The actual name of this gun is "1stitch", so you may want to do a search for that.

Blog Entries
    The Microtek brand has a much thinner "needle" and shorter tacks. Personal choice with how far apart. About 4-5" worked for me.

I just bought one at Hancocks and haven't used it yet, but saw a quilt that they were used on and it looked just fine. I cannot spray the basting spray in the house as my DH has ashtma and it affects his breathing. So I am hoping
    this is my answer and I am not very good at pinning.

Has anyone used the basting gun to attach a quilt to the leaders of their quilting frame? I should have one of those guns around here somewhere and thought I would try it when I put my quilt in the frame.

Wouldn't that be neat if it worked? It seems to me though that they would not be tight enough becuase there is some play there. If it works, please let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    Has anyone used the basting gun to attach a quilt to the leaders of their quilting frame? I should have one of those guns around here somewhere and thought I would try it when I put my quilt in the frame.
    Hmmmm.....I will try this. Maybe I could put an extra little one inch square of battting to take up some of the slack?

Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    Hmmmm.....I will try this. Maybe I could put an extra little one inch square of battting to take up some of the slack?
    I found my basting gun, now I have to look for the tags. I also have long strips of warm & natural that I've trimmed off projects I could use on top of the leader to take up some of the space, or maybe turn the batting back over itself a little bit before tacking it. Maybe I can do that tomorrow, will let you know how it works.

I can't wait for you to try it!