Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt binding question updated with picures on page 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-binding-question-updated-picures-page-2-a-t4494.html)

bj 02-12-2008 05:43 AM

I've done the binding totally by machine once, but I didn't like it as well. Cut binding 2.5", fold in half and press. Sew to top side of quilt, raw edge of binding at raw edge of quilt. Turn and pin in the ditch on the top side of quilt. Make sure your pin is catching the binding on the back. I pinned really close together. Stitch in the ditch on the top side of the quilt where the binding is attached. It will catch the binding on the back as you sew. I used my walking foot so I wouldn't get wrinkles on the back. It turned out okay, I just didn't like it as much. I'd suggest practicing on a small sandwich with both methods and see which one you like the look of the best. Good luck. I would also check out ShellyQ's demo that Vicki gave you the link to; it really is a very good one.

Steve 02-12-2008 09:24 AM

Hey Barb, I've tried several ways but like the one described. Sew to back, double up binding fabric and hand stitch. It is amazing how quickly the hand stitching goes and how rapidly it improves given this kind of exercise.

Also, binding I find a complete joy because it’s the next best thing to being there (I find myself humming a lot!). Once it’s finished, you get to tag or label and that’s it!

patricej 02-12-2008 09:36 AM

ok, steve ... it's official. you are NUTS!!!! joy and humming while you bind? :shock:

you need not worry about the Quilt Police. However, if I were you, I'd run like heck from those guys sneaking up behind you with the nets and straightjacket. :lol:

Steve 02-12-2008 09:49 AM

No, honest Patrice, getting that close to the finish line really does me (maybe I’m too new at this?). Also, I find if you run towards the nets and jackets it freaks 'em out and you miss the maintenance visit entirely! :wink:

Knot Sew 02-12-2008 10:54 AM

I cut my binding the same as everyone else, but at times I have sewed it on the back and brought it to the front and top stitched by machine.......I did a decorative stitch on one I finished for grandaughter..........this wasn't traditional but it wasn't for a contest........and the quilt police were someplase else that was warmer lol :D :D :D

marieg 02-12-2008 11:43 AM

Ditto with sewmuch. I have to say the hand sewing on the back takes me forever. I don't put bias binding on a straight edge.

joannl 02-12-2008 12:07 PM

My method is the same as most; 2.5 inches, on the bias (almost always), fold in half, stitch to front, flip to back & hand sew.
Steve, I've been quilting for 36 years & I still enjoy hand stitching the binding to the back, it's kind of a zen thing. Well, except when I really need to get that baby quilt finished for the baby that was born last week!!! LOL
Jo

patricej 02-12-2008 12:56 PM

allrighty then ... a padded room for two ... comin' right up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

the sight of steve rushing in my direction would freak me out, too. but don't tell him i said that. :wink:

Rose Marie 02-12-2008 02:15 PM

I have tried several experts methods. I sew mine in the ditch using a stiche in the ditch foot. It has a metal guide in the center that keeps you in the ditch.
Also I use iron on thread, it holds the binding in place instead of pins that keep poking you.
Also when you are sewing the binding on the front stop at 1/4 inch from the corner and turn your fabric at an angle and sew off at the point. This helps make the miter easier.

Tiffany 02-12-2008 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ccbear66
Ok I have a questions for all of you. I'm am ready to actually bind my first quilt. Usually my quilting lady does it for me. I have read several different methods. What method do you use and why. I think that I'm going to cut my binding 2 1/5 in. Does that sound about right? One more question do you sew all of it by machine or do you sew one side and then hand stitch it to the back. I have read both ways and don't know which way would be the best.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I use a two and a half inch binding for my big quilts and smaller bindings for smaller projects. I sew the binding to the top of the quilt by machine and then sew the binding to the back of the quilt by hand. I have a lot of friends who prefer to sew both the front and back by machine but I have noticed it does not look as neat and I have heard quilt judges remark on it when the stitching goes outside of the area it is supposed to (when the back has shifted and is not perfectly aligned it can cause the thread to veer off onto the back of the quilt or too far into the binding, giving a raised edge) and for me, I find I prefer to bind the back of it by hand rather than machine. I hope this helps.

I have to agree, I love putting on the binding. It's probably one of my favorite parts of making a quilt. It's like being in a marathon and suddenly you run over the hill and there, off in the distance, is the finish line. It's energizing! :!: The hardest part for me is sandwhiching a quilt, especially the king sized ones. UGH! It's the least fun part and to me it signifies that I'm only halfway done, which I find a bit despressing for some reason.
~Tiffany