Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt binding question updated with picures on page 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-binding-question-updated-picures-page-2-a-t4494.html)

nel 02-14-2008 12:19 PM

I make mine 2 3/4 inches. I machine sew to the top of the quilt and then hand stitch to the back so it doesn't show through to the front. I have mastered the mitered corners and the technique to meet the binding at the end. I was so proud of myself. If I told my non quilting friends how excited I was when I figured it out they would think I was crazy!!!

Lucky Patsy's 02-14-2008 12:32 PM

Thats how I do mine too, Nel. But I can't tell you the number of times I have made the final cut wrong when I come back round to join up again!
I wish I would just learn it once and for all! I am no master yet.

patricej 02-14-2008 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cathe
I use 2" bindings, folded in half and sewn by machine to the top and then handstitched to the back.

It is much easier to sew the bindings to the to the top if you do NOT cut away the excess batting and backing! ...

AHAH!!!!! That makes a LOT of sense. :P

No wonder I never thought of it myself. :roll:

DonnaRae 02-14-2008 05:37 PM

Cathe, at your Swedehearts, is the beautiful blue eyed girl your extraordinary granddaughter? Thanks for the tip on cutting the batting afterwards. Never thought of that!

vicki reno 02-15-2008 04:26 AM

What has helped me the most was Shelly Q's tip on how to handle the 2 ends of the binding when they meet up. I had tried lots of other tricks but hers worked the best. The last baby qult that I made looked mch nicer than any previous ones because there was not big lump where the ends met.

Cathe 02-15-2008 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaRae
Cathe, at your Swedehearts, is the beautiful blue eyed girl your extraordinary granddaughter? Thanks for the tip on cutting the batting afterwards. Never thought of that!

No, that is a little girl from church who sometimes models for me. Isn't she cute??

stay-at-home 02-15-2008 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Carnahan
I have tried several experts methods. I sew mine in the ditch using a stiche in the ditch foot. It has a metal guide in the center that keeps you in the ditch.
Also I use iron on thread, it holds the binding in place instead of pins that keep poking you.
Also when you are sewing the binding on the front stop at 1/4 inch from the corner and turn your fabric at an angle and sew off at the point. This helps make the miter easier.

i think i will try this, hope i understand it correctly! Is the iron on thread so that when you fold over, the fold sticks down after you iron it???

thanks much. also didn't know there is such a thing as stitch in ditch foot.

DonnaRae 02-15-2008 11:59 AM

She sure is. Extremely cute! But how about a picture of the granddaughter? Or did I miss it?

joannl 02-15-2008 03:16 PM

I seem to have missed ShellyQ's tip and can't find it. I'm guessing it's right there in front of me but.... Please help me.
Jo

Rose Marie 02-15-2008 11:59 PM

It is called fusible thread, I found it at Joanns in the Viking sewing center.
You need a hot iron, I use steam. It is better than having pins stick you when you are sewing in the ditch.
The stiche in the ditch foot works very well since you have the metal bar guide right in the ditch, no wandering off.

be