Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt binding question updated with picures on page 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-binding-question-updated-picures-page-2-a-t4494.html)

DonnaRae 02-16-2008 07:47 AM

One thing I found out about the fusible thread (the not so fun way) is, if it is going to show anywhere it does have a shiny appearance, which I guess is suppose to be clear but you can see it somewhat. Sew you still want to make sure your stitches are not seen.

bj 02-16-2008 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
ccbear~ what a great wall hanging! If the quilt looks that good..u did great!

You need to repost your quilt pic on this thread so folks can see them together. You did a really nice job on both!!!

ccbear66 02-16-2008 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the pic of the quilt top. I'll repost it again just as soon as I get the binding on which will hopefully be tomorrow or Monday.

blue and yellow quilt top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6846[/ATTACH]

joannl 02-17-2008 06:03 AM

ccbear,
Your quilt is great! Nice job, nice colors, nice pattern!
Jo

Rose Marie 02-17-2008 11:52 AM

You dont stitch with fusible thread, it melts. I lay it on the stiche line then fold the binding over it and iron it on. Then you stitch in the ditch with regular thread on the front of the quilt.

Tiffany 02-18-2008 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey! What a good looking quilt! Now that looks very familiar. I believe we've used a lot of the same fabrics. I made my table runner for my mother-in-law and she would drool and beg for your quilt if she saw it. It matches her kitchen perfectly. :lol: I'll post a picture of what I made her below. I'm planning on quilting it next week and getting it to her for her birthday.
~Tiffany

DonnaRae 02-18-2008 08:26 PM

Rose, Well I did what the package said and put the fusible thread in the bobbin and stitched. It actually worked great except in a few areas where you could see the shiny glint. But I actually do mine the same way you do except I use steam a seam instead of fusible thread, and do my back binding with it and then do the front binding of my quilt by sewing same as you. Same thing but I wonder which is cheaper? Hmmmm But I did like putting the fusible thread in the bobbin because it actually saves you the step of doing the back binding. Just have to get better at it. :wink:

DonnaRae 02-18-2008 08:27 PM

Tiffany, It is beautifulllllllllllll. Forget your mother in law and her birthday, send to me for mine. :lol:

stay-at-home 02-19-2008 04:04 AM

O00000000h! I like that Tiffany. the center of interest is very effective.

Quilting Aggi 02-19-2008 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by lisae
I cut my binding strips 2 and a quarter inches. I then fold strip in half, with the raw edges matching. I do this because the binding is normally the first part of a quilt to show wear. I sew it on by machine, then hand sew it to the back. I like the way that looks best.

I do the exact same thing, only I cut min around 2 1/2", sometimes 2 3/4" depending on thickness of the quilt. I have one long continuous piece and miter my corners.