Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt boarders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-boarders-t274001.html)

sewwhat85 01-03-2016 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7421606)
P.S. This word is spelled b-o-r-d-e-r, not with an "a". :)
With an "a" the word means someone who lives temporarily or is renting in a property....as in a boarding house.

Love ya, :o
Jan in VA

It was so funny when I read the title of this thread I thought to my self is this some one who takes in quilts to keep for awhile. LOL

quiltmama22 01-03-2016 11:30 AM

Misspellings

With an "a" the word means someone who lives temporarily or is renting in a property....as in a boarding house.

Jan in VA

Thank You Jan! This drives me crazy but then that's my problem!! I wonder if it's people's spell check programs that are changing the word "border" to "boarder". If we don't scan what we write before hitting that "send" button we can end up saying things we didn't mean. :)

WMUTeach 01-03-2016 12:34 PM

I tend to do top, bottom then sides. But honestly, it really does not matter in the long run.

youngduncan 01-04-2016 05:29 AM

There is no definite answer to this question. It depends on how you were taught. I keep taking classes because I really enjoy the socializing that goes with the teaching and learning. I've never taken a class from a teacher who hasn't said that you need to do the sides first and the top and bottom last. Everyone seems to think that the shorter lengths are easier to measure and handle. It also seems to lessen the chance of distorting the finished quilt top.

And thanks, Jan, for taking the spelling issue to heart. I tell people that I am probably one of two people in the world today who won't split an infinitive! I love to read paragraphs with good grammar and proper spelling.

maviskw 01-04-2016 06:00 AM

Jan in VA

Thanks Jan. But boarding actually has to do with the meals you get at the boarding house. The dictionary says a boarding house is: "A private home that provides meals and lodging for paying guests." Sometimes you see adds for houses that have "room and board".
I love nit-picking this kind of stuff. I have a book called "Woe Is I" by Patricia T. O'Conner. The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English. You'd never believe how funny it can be to read about this.
(My computer doesn't like Grammarphobe, but that's what is in the book.)

Veinurse 01-04-2016 07:56 AM

The only time I did top and bottom first was when I was adding a pieced border and I did not have to adjust it if I did them first and then the sides. My quilter rolled her eyes when I explained my reasoning. I made the pattern up so I thought it made complete sense. I just don't think there are quilt police out there, even though some like to act like it. Do what works for you.

tessagin 01-04-2016 08:08 AM

I do the longest side first. If equal, then ditto what DOTTYMO stated.

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7421854)
If a rectangle finished quilt I do sides first top and bottom last. If a square with no way up then it doesn't matter which you do first or last as long as you do opposite pairs not like a log cabin unless it is part of the pattern.

tessagin 01-04-2016 08:11 AM

And often the finger is quicker than the eye and unable to return to correct.

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7423180)
Thanks Jan. But boarding actually has to do with the meals you get at the boarding house. The dictionary says a boarding house is: "A private home that provides meals and lodging for paying guests." Sometimes you see adds for houses that have "room and board".
I love nit-picking this kind of stuff. I have a book called "Woe Is I" by Patricia T. O'Conner. The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English. You'd never believe how funny it can be to read about this.
(My computer doesn't like Grammarphobe, but that's what is in the book.)

MarleneC 01-04-2016 07:57 PM

I do the sides first and then the top/bottom. Some patterns call for the other way around but I tend to stick with doing the same thing. I just like that topped off part I guess.

Boston1954 01-04-2016 08:03 PM

I just pick a side and have at it. Sometimes, if you do the longer ones first, it feels like you're closer to the finish.