Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt boarders >

Quilt boarders

Quilt boarders

Old 01-02-2016, 03:58 AM

Question Quilt boarders

Does it matter What boarders are added first the side boarders or the top and bottom boarders?
Old 01-02-2016, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I usually do the sides first and then the top and bottom. I think it looks better this way.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

It's a personal choice. I often add sides first just because if I add the top/ bottom first the sides have to be much longer. Since I generally try to cut borders length without piecing this saves fabric. But, it's not a ( rule) I have added top/ bottom first on occasion and if you are mitering your corners it doesn't effect the look whichever way you go.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I too believe it is a personal choice. I usually add my borders on the sides and then the top and bottom.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:28 AM

I have seen patterns that can be done either way but if you do the top and bottom first you distort the visual length of the quilt. It increases the visual appearance of the width and shortens the visual appearance of the length. Mitered corners will keep that from happening. So, it up to you to decide what is important to you from a visual point of view. I like to cut lengthwise borders on the lengthwise grain of fabric and the top and bottom borders on the crosswise grain.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I have seen patterns that can be done either way but if you do the top and bottom first you distort the visual length of the quilt. It increases the visual appearance of the width and shortens the visual appearance of the length. Mitered corners will keep that from happening. So, it up to you to decide what is important to you from a visual point of view. I like to cut lengthwise borders on the lengthwise grain of fabric and the top and bottom borders on the crosswise grain.

I dont see how "visually" it makes a difference. Top/bottom vs sides first. The all over print or solid fabric "blends"in that seam be it vertical or horizontal. But, I must say, if the BORDER fabric print is in anyway directional the mitered corner does make for a smooth, eye pleasing finish along with keeping the directional the same all the way around. JMHO. And it is also recommended that all borders be cut lengthwise from fabric...because loss stretch lengthwise as width wise. I personally don't follow that rule, except if pattern needs to be continued that way, but I do match centers and ends to make sure I don't get a wavy border......that's just my way

Last edited by Geri B; 01-02-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

For me it depends on how I want to do the corners. If I am mitering or adding corner blocks it doesn't really matter. If I am do straight ends and the width will allow me to go WOF then I do those first so I don't have to piece the border.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 AM

I usually do sides then top and bottom, unless they are mitered borders. As previously stated, most fabrics blend together and nobody can tell which was done first without studying the quilt up close.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:37 PM

Side borders, then top and bottom borders. Someday maybe I'll learn to miter the corners.................
Old 01-02-2016, 04:35 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

P.S. This word is spelled b-o-r-d-e-r, not with an "a".
With an "a" the word means someone who lives temporarily or is renting in a property....as in a boarding house.

Love ya,
Jan in VA