Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A quilt for a church to raffel off (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-church-raffel-off-t144164.html)

maryb44662 08-10-2011 02:05 PM

I was asked by a neighbor if I would make a quilt to be raffeled off by the church as a fund raiser. She wanted to know how much I would charge, I told her nothing, that it would be my contribution to the church. Now.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary

pnptrapp 08-10-2011 02:06 PM

I like sampler quilts for raffle quilts. They just seem to attract more attentinon. And I'd do them in fairly neutral colors, or go all out and do it all scrappy!

Holice 08-10-2011 02:06 PM

who is paying for the fatrics etc.....thread, quilting it etc.

maryb44662 08-10-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
who is paying for the fatrics etc.....thread, quilting it etc.

I will supply the fabric, batting, thread, etc. As I said, the quilt will be my donation to the church for their raffel. I have plenty of stash that I need to use.

bearisgray 08-10-2011 02:17 PM

Can that church do a raffle?

Does it need to get a permit or anything?

Some states are really picky about raffles.

quiltlonger 08-10-2011 02:20 PM

log cabin or a house quilt would use up a lot of stash!!and not to be to difficult! bless you for doing this!

watterstide 08-10-2011 02:24 PM

i also would make it a lap size. how long have you been quilting,piecing?
i think a log cabin quilt...there are so many ways to lay it out...it would be fun to do the blocks, and then figure out how to lay it out!

What a great thing to do for the church...!

GrannieAnnie 08-10-2011 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by maryb44662
I was asked by a neighbor if I would make a quilt to be raffeled off by the church as a fund raiser. She wanted to know how much I would charge, I told her nothing, that it would be my contribution to the church. Now.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary

Whatever makes you happy. And color generally doesn't make much difference.

GrannieAnnie 08-10-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
i also would make it a lap size. how long have you been quilting,piecing?
i think a log cabin quilt...there are so many ways to lay it out...it would be fun to do the blocks, and then figure out how to lay it out!

What a great thing to do for the church...!

Lap sized for a raffle quilt????????

Most of us routinely make lap quilts for ill or elderly members of the parish. Personally, I'd never take a chance on a lap quilt.

GrannieAnnie 08-10-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Can that church do a raffle?

Does it need to get a permit or anything?

Some states are really picky about raffles.

If she was asked, I'm sure the church can. And in most states, that is the business of the church, not the donor.

And Indiana is one that will drive you to drink trying to meet all their "ifs, ands & buts"