Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78

Thread: A quilt for a church to raffel off

  1. #1
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    I was asked by a neighbor if I would make a quilt to be raffeled off by the church as a fund raiser. She wanted to know how much I would charge, I told her nothing, that it would be my contribution to the church. Now.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary

  2. #2
    pnptrapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sorento, IL
    Posts
    364
    I like sampler quilts for raffle quilts. They just seem to attract more attentinon. And I'd do them in fairly neutral colors, or go all out and do it all scrappy!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    who is paying for the fatrics etc.....thread, quilting it etc.

  4. #4
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    who is paying for the fatrics etc.....thread, quilting it etc.
    I will supply the fabric, batting, thread, etc. As I said, the quilt will be my donation to the church for their raffel. I have plenty of stash that I need to use.

  5. #5
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,665
    Can that church do a raffle?

    Does it need to get a permit or anything?

    Some states are really picky about raffles.

  6. #6
    Super Member quiltlonger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rushford, NY
    Posts
    1,690
    log cabin or a house quilt would use up a lot of stash!!and not to be to difficult! bless you for doing this!

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    i also would make it a lap size. how long have you been quilting,piecing?
    i think a log cabin quilt...there are so many ways to lay it out...it would be fun to do the blocks, and then figure out how to lay it out!

    What a great thing to do for the church...!

  8. #8
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb44662
    I was asked by a neighbor if I would make a quilt to be raffeled off by the church as a fund raiser. She wanted to know how much I would charge, I told her nothing, that it would be my contribution to the church. Now.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary
    Whatever makes you happy. And color generally doesn't make much difference.

  9. #9
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i also would make it a lap size. how long have you been quilting,piecing?
    i think a log cabin quilt...there are so many ways to lay it out...it would be fun to do the blocks, and then figure out how to lay it out!

    What a great thing to do for the church...!
    Lap sized for a raffle quilt????????

    Most of us routinely make lap quilts for ill or elderly members of the parish. Personally, I'd never take a chance on a lap quilt.

  10. #10
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Can that church do a raffle?

    Does it need to get a permit or anything?

    Some states are really picky about raffles.


    If she was asked, I'm sure the church can. And in most states, that is the business of the church, not the donor.

    And Indiana is one that will drive you to drink trying to meet all their "ifs, ands & buts"

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    255
    There was just something in a quilting magazine (McCalls quilting Sept/Oct issue) about having a successful raffle. One of the things was to make sure the quilt was queen size and that it incorporated 8-9 different fabrics. If you only do 2-4 colors it gives people a reason to not buy a ticket "Those colors don't match anything in my house". Another thing they mentioned was having a little info sheet with the raffle about how much time went into making the quilt, how much it cost etc.

    I know you asked specifically about a pattern and I'm not answering that for you... sorry :( I don't have a pattern idea, but I thought the 8-9 fabrics was important to mention. The article specifically mentioned that if it was a church raffle that "a traditional quilt is a must. Classic pieced designs are universally loved and, while not absolutely necessary, a little applique goes a long way."

    Hope that info is helfpul to you :)

  12. #12
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    I'm the church member currently in charge of the annual raffle quilt. Believe me, they don't much care about the design or color.

    BTW, ours awarded July 24, brought in a profit of $794. Pretty good for our little country church. 2nd and 3rd place were an afghan and a bushel of groceries.

  13. #13
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlonger
    log cabin or a house quilt would use up a lot of stash!!and not to be to difficult! bless you for doing this!
    I thought about the log cabin design. I have one that I made and it was very easy to put together. I will do the quilting on the machine tho, I hand quilted mine. Thanks!

  14. #14
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Can that church do a raffle?

    Does it need to get a permit or anything?

    Some states are really picky about raffles.
    I don't know....that would be their problem. They have an "auction" every year, of home made items, so I wouldn't think it would be much difference than a raffle.

  15. #15
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i also would make it a lap size. how long have you been quilting,piecing?
    i think a log cabin quilt...there are so many ways to lay it out...it would be fun to do the blocks, and then figure out how to lay it out!

    What a great thing to do for the church...!
    Lap sized for a raffle quilt????????

    Most of us routinely make lap quilts for ill or elderly members of the parish. Personally, I'd never take a chance on a lap quilt.
    No, I will make what ever design I chose, a queen sized quilt. They would apt to get better $$ for one larger than a lap quilt.

  16. #16
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabethann
    There was just something in a quilting magazine (McCalls quilting Sept/Oct issue) about having a successful raffle. One of the things was to make sure the quilt was queen size and that it incorporated 8-9 different fabrics. If you only do 2-4 colors it gives people a reason to not buy a ticket "Those colors don't match anything in my house". Another thing they mentioned was having a little info sheet with the raffle about how much time went into making the quilt, how much it cost etc.

    I know you asked specifically about a pattern and I'm not answering that for you... sorry :( I don't have a pattern idea, but I thought the 8-9 fabrics was important to mention. The article specifically mentioned that if it was a church raffle that "a traditional quilt is a must. Classic pieced designs are universally loved and, while not absolutely necessary, a little applique goes a long way."

    Hope that info is helfpul to you :)

    Interesting. However, in our case, the cost and man-hours would be difficult to calculate with so many people involved. This next one for our church will have to be based on the last set embroidered blocks in our possession. Several values of burgundy, some green, some blue, some gold.

  17. #17
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb44662
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Can that church do a raffle?

    Does it need to get a permit or anything?

    Some states are really picky about raffles.
    I don't know....that would be their problem. They have an "auction" every year, of home made items, so I wouldn't think it would be much difference than a raffle.


    A raffle is far more profitable than an auction. And generally far more regulated by the state. But that's something the church deals with.

  18. #18
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabethann
    There was just something in a quilting magazine (McCalls quilting Sept/Oct issue) about having a successful raffle. One of the things was to make sure the quilt was queen size and that it incorporated 8-9 different fabrics. If you only do 2-4 colors it gives people a reason to not buy a ticket "Those colors don't match anything in my house". Another thing they mentioned was having a little info sheet with the raffle about how much time went into making the quilt, how much it cost etc.

    I know you asked specifically about a pattern and I'm not answering that for you... sorry :( I don't have a pattern idea, but I thought the 8-9 fabrics was important to mention. The article specifically mentioned that if it was a church raffle that "a traditional quilt is a must. Classic pieced designs are universally loved and, while not absolutely necessary, a little applique goes a long way."

    Hope that info is helfpul to you :)
    Thanks!! I have patterns galore, so it would not be hard to find one that uses many colors. I may use embroidery machine to quilt it in the continious line quilting pattern. Thanks again. Mary

  19. #19
    Super Member candi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE The Sunshine State
    Posts
    4,071
    How about a double Irish Chain? Maybe in neutral and scraps so that it is colorful and fits many decors.

    It is very nice of you to do that, and I am sure you can't go wrong with whatever you go with, I would only use as many colors in it as possible to appeal to as many people as possible.

  20. #20
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by candi
    How about a double Irish Chain? Maybe in neutral and scraps so that it is colorful and fits many decors.

    It is very nice of you to do that, and I am sure you can't go wrong with whatever you go with, I would only use as many colors in it as possible to appeal to as many people as possible.
    I pulled that pattern also. I am still trying to decide on one. Thanks for your input. Mary

  21. #21
    Super Member seamstome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,338
    I am doing a queen topper so it's 60 by 60 and they can lay it on the bed with a neutral spread under it and ornamental pillows on top of it. I am doing it in blues/greens/purples and teals. Log cabin

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,381
    When I need to whip something up quick, I do a Log Cabin.

  23. #23
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i also would make it a lap size. how long have you been quilting,piecing?
    i think a log cabin quilt...there are so many ways to lay it out...it would be fun to do the blocks, and then figure out how to lay it out!

    What a great thing to do for the church...!
    I have made many quilts since 2002 to include two double wedding ring ones for two daughters, rail fense, churn dash and many others. So, the size quilt makes no difference to me, except that I think a queen sized one would be better for the raffle. I think more people would buy a ticket for a larger one than a throw size. Thanks, Mary

  24. #24
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I agree with those who said Log Cabin. That pattern has alot going for it.
    It looks great with alot of fabric variety so you could do scrappy or controled scrappy
    The blocks can be arranged in may ways
    It easy to make any size
    Its a pattern that has appeal to just about everyone
    Depending on how much time you want to spend .. is how wide you make the logs.

  25. #25
    Senior Member maryb44662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I agree with those who said Log Cabin. That pattern has alot going for it.
    It looks great with alot of fabric variety so you could do scrappy or controled scrappy
    The blocks can be arranged in may ways
    It easy to make any size
    Its a pattern that has appeal to just about everyone
    Depending on how much time you want to spend .. is how wide you make the logs.
    Thanks! The one that I made myself, I think the logs were like 2 1/2 " wide strips before sewing the logs. It turned out to be 1 3/4 wide after sewing. In fact I have it on my bed now. Take care, Mary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.