Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt for a customer with some interesting color choices. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-customer-some-interesting-color-choices-t185397.html)

QM 04-11-2012 08:34 PM

I don't do many commissions these days and have always had a lot of free rein anyway. If I were cconvinced that the plan would NOT work, I would say something because I would want a satisfied customer. Otherwise, I'm pretty agreeable.

bearisgray 04-12-2012 09:13 AM

Wait until you get all the fabrics together - then have the customer take another look at the - if it's still a go - deal with it!

From the description, I think it would be a "fun" quilt and very bright.

oldbalt99 04-15-2012 05:35 PM

Now you know the difference in the business of quilting and the art of personal quilting. The business of quilting often turns out not to be fun, it's not meant to be. When you give someone their own color choice, it is your job to agree on a pattern, or pick a pattern that best works with the colors. That lack of fun is why quilter's prices reach four digit before the decimal point .

SandScraps 04-16-2012 03:33 AM

I could weell be that cleint - totally too brave with colours. It usually work our, so don't fret. Rather too much colour than being stuck in dullness - for me anyway.

0tis 04-21-2012 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an update - I have the quilt layout - she loves it - in fact I put it on my facebook page and several people love it and I had another order for the same quilt. Guess they told me - its not my kind of fabric - but if it makes her happy - I love it. Here ya go.

Otis[ATTACH=CONFIG]329564[/ATTACH]

0tis 04-21-2012 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what the border will be - small black border with a large pink/black leopard border.[ATTACH=CONFIG]329565[/ATTACH]

0tis 04-23-2012 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the complete quilt top with borders.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]330101[/ATTACH]

LilaKay 04-24-2012 03:24 AM

LOL...sometimes we need younger eyes to see new colors working together. I too my 15 year old granddaughter to the LQS last week and let her pick out something to make a new pillowcase for herself-teal, pink and zebra-I didn't say anything at the time but she sewed it together as soon as we got home and it looked so good together that she is going to make a collage on her bedroom wall with the same colors and I will be making her a quilt with those colors!

alisonquilts 04-24-2012 05:13 AM

Not my colors, either, but when you put them together like that...downright exciting! Well done, and good for you for keeping an open mind!

NanaCsews2 04-24-2012 05:54 AM

I came across this only once. I had to keep biting my tongue not to say anything to offend her, but we got it done and in the end she loved it. The 'gaudy' fabric that didn't fit the color scheme of the quilt was used in the smaller pieces, and imagine our surprise when that fabric made the others around it just pop. Guess it belonged in there after all. As long as she was happy and excited about it, I felt I had to do what she asked, and did enjoy doing it for her.
I don't see a problem with the colors and theme of the fabrics she likes. I think they will all go well together. Think outside of the box and the end result and it may surprise you big time. If that doesn't work, look at the smile on her face when she receives it.