Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt for a customer with some interesting color choices.

Quilt for a customer with some interesting color choices.

I have a customer - a young lady who is in love with black, kelly green, magenta, pink monkeys and butterflys and of course pink/black leopard. She picked out fabrics from various websites - we have a pattern chosen - I talked to her about incorporating colors that work together - lest they clash (Hmmm I can't see that happening) - anyway its all ordered and on its way. I just hope this works out - I will post a pic when I get the top together. My question is - has anyone else faced a similar challenge with colors that seem a little too much? She is very excited so I guess if she loves it that is all that matters. Wish me luck.

Otis

I have had issues with sewing for others and their fabric choices. It makes me nervous the entire time when I just can't fathom the fabrics together in a quilt... and the person liking the results. I found it to be so stressful I stopped making quilts for others when I don't like the fabrics... its way too much like working at a job a dislike.
    Good luck with this quilt.

If I like the color choices and thepattern, I have no problem.

If, however, I don't like them, then I don't do it. I don't want to force myself to sew/quilt something I don't like.

In fact that is one of the problems I have now. I had put a charity quilt on my HQ frame but don't want to quilt it. It is a whole cloth panel and the material isn't square like a pieced quilt. Now I know. So those I don't want to do are last in my stack of quilts to quilt.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    Just cut the pieces small and they'll all blend together nicely. Actually, my own `19YO daughter would probably love the fabrics in this quilt herself. Times change!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Power Poster
    You will probably not get a quilt that suits your taste but if she loves it, that's all that matters. I bet that quilt would look great with the old black light lightbulbs that used to be all the rage.

Actually ... I think it could make a beautiful and vibrant quilt! Lots of bright colours that pops with the black.
    And yes, I can understand your hesitancy, if "brights" are not your normal choices.

What pattern are you planning to use?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Otis, Are you worried about you not enjoying the process because you don't like the fabrics, or about your customer, who might not like the final result because the fabrics don't go together well? If it's the former, you can always bow out. If it's the latter, perhaps it would be a good idea to get all of the fabrics together, lay them out next to one another, and gauge her reaction to them. If she continues to love it, then she'll no doubt love the final piece. There is no accounting for taste. I've seen quilts in some magazines that I wouldn't make (in those colors) if it was the only quilt I could make!

Cheers!
    MacThayer

I think those colors would look lovely together, nice and bright! I hope you have fun working on it.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I'd go with advice the opposite of an earlier poster - go with very large pieces and get it done ASAP!

Blog Entries
    The pattern has been chosen, but does it have sashing? Since she likes (and has chosen) black as one of her colors I would see if I could sash it in black. This seems to pull everything together. Look at all the scrappy string quilts you see. A single block looks a bit wild, add black sashing and it looks great! Post a picture when you are done!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I think all those together would go great!!! I love bright quilts. If she has picked out the fabrics, you know she is going to like it. My daughter picked out 4 fabrics for a quilt. The colors do not go well with each other at all, but she is the one that picked them out and it's been a few years. She still LOVES the quilt. The fabrics she picked must make her happy and that is what matters. So I hope you make the best of making the quilt. You will make one happy customer!!!
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

This is the perfect situation for EQ7. You can scan in your fabrics and use them in your design to see what it will look like before you make the first cut of your material. I had to do this with my granddaughter's quilt last year. Her colors of choice were black and white. She didn't want any other colors except black and white but I told her I wasn't comfortable with that and then showed her the designs I had made up in EQ7 that also had some blue batiks in addition to the black and white. She loved it and so did I. It was her Christmas gift last year. Ann in TN

My middle niece, 11 years old, would love it. She just made her first pieced quilt. She wanted neon colors but settled for black print and assorted bright tone on tones. It turned out cute and youthful and is already on her bed.

Blog Entries
    If its that bad try to put some on one side of the quilt and some on the other. Good luck and be sure to post the results Best stitches

I had the opposite situation when I said I would make a memory quilt for a dear friend who had recently lost her husband. A box of the dreariest old flannel shirts arrived a week later with mostly gray, brown, black plaids and stripes. I didn't know where to begin. Long story short; I made a version of a rail fence, then added red sashing and borders. I thought it was the ugliest quilt I had ever seen and didn't want to even send it. She has written 2 letters and called to tell me she was delighted. Absolutely thrilled with this quilt. (She sent a picture and I'll try to post it later.)
    Moral of the story: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If this young lady loves these colors that IS what matters.
    Good luck.

I decided to make my great niece Cassie a quilt. Her favorite colors are purple and lime green. We were at Joanns and I told her to pick out 15 purple FQs and 15 green FQs for her quilt. Well the colors were all over the map and didn't go together and I told her, but she insisted that these were the ones she liked. After consulting with my mom, Nana, she helped me with a pattern and in the long run it turned out well and my niece is in heaven.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t135595.html
    Cris

I find most people who don't do what we do are not very critical, they just love that someone cares enough to make something special for them. Don't worry about the fabric, just enjoy in the delight of making someone special happy.

Blog Entries
    It might be a good idea to give her a preview of what the quilt is going to look like before you actually start it. She may change her mind on the colors.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    The process is what I love about quilting. I can quilt any colors for anyone. If I am working for them, the sky's the limit. I still enjoy every stitch, block and designing the quilting to go on the quilt. I am very picky about My quilts, colors, etc. Half the fun of working for others is watching it come together and their excitement at the finished product. I just did one for a college grad getting her first apt., lime green, orange, yellow and black. It was gorgeous.
    i would never have chosen the colors but I may do another one for my CHristmas show.

That will definitely be an interesting quilt. Hope you post a copy of it when you finish!

Well I have received some of the fabrics in the mail (all fabrics were bought online at different retailers) so far the colors are working together fine. I do like bright quilts and not so bright quilts - I am just not a huge fan of bright pink and leopard. The pattern has four patch and a snowball type block - so I think the small pieces will help - all the big empty spaces will be black - I am sure it will turn out fine - I will wear my sunglasses while piecing it. All the fabrics should be here by the end of the week and hopefully I will have this done within the next week. I will definitely post a pic. Thanks for all the responses. Otis

I was helping the daughter of a friend make a quilt with lots of fabric the didnt 'go together'. We separated them with white sashing and it looked very dramatic and cheerful.

What is the saying ... Beauty is in the eye if the beholder? I'm sure the quilt will be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
    Otis, Are you worried about you not enjoying the process because you don't like the fabrics, or about your customer, who might not like the final result because the fabrics don't go together well? If it's the former, you can always bow out. If it's the latter, perhaps it would be a good idea to get all of the fabrics together, lay them out next to one another, and gauge her reaction to them. If she continues to love it, then she'll no doubt love the final piece. There is no accounting for taste. I've seen quilts in some magazines that I wouldn't make (in those colors) if it was the only quilt I could make!

Cheers!
    I agree, lay out all the fabrics together to see if she still loves this combination. If she does, I am sure you will be much happier making the quilt.

I think it will be fine. The colors are basically black and then kelly green and pink along with some leopard print and then monkeys. Actually it just sounds like an exciting quilt. We'd love to see the fabrics!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast