Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilt for a customer with some interesting color choices.

It sounds really interesting. Good luck and be sure to post pictures when completed.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    If the quilt is for a customer, they have complete freedom of choice. If you don't think the fabrics will work together, it's your responsibility as the quilt maker to help guide their choices. What if you don't say anything and then the quilt comes out just horrible looking? Partially your/my fault, as we didn't make good suggestions to our customer. There are good ways to help them select fabrics they like so that the quilt will come out nicely. It's part of the design process...and it really is our responsibility for the finished product. Just my opinion....but just sayin'!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I have a customer - a young lady who is in love with black, kelly green, magenta, pink monkeys and butterflys and of course pink/black leopard. She picked out fabrics from various websites - we have a pattern chosen - I talked to her about incorporating colors that work together - lest they clash (Hmmm I can't see that happening) - anyway its all ordered and on its way. I just hope this works out - I will post a pic when I get the top together. My question is - has anyone else faced a similar challenge with colors that seem a little too much? She is very excited so I guess if she loves it that is all that matters. Wish me luck.

Otis
    Have to smile when I read these types of posts as I am always choosing colours in particular (or even prints)that others think don't or won't work together with usually fabulous results. If I had a penny for every time some one told " me "that wont work" or every time they say " I didn't think that would go together with..." I would be wealthy and have lots more money to spend on fabric. Yeah!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    - John Lennon

Sounds interesting. The customer is always right. Just grin and bear it! lol

Yes, My now 21 year old daughter picked out 9 different fabrics that none went together, but she loves it. Basketballs, lepoards spots,red and a border with Texas all over it to remind her where we bought it at. Then the backing is a white ,black and red plaid - go figure...

QM
    I don't do many commissions these days and have always had a lot of free rein anyway. If I were cconvinced that the plan would NOT work, I would say something because I would want a satisfied customer. Otherwise, I'm pretty agreeable.

Power Poster
    Wait until you get all the fabrics together - then have the customer take another look at the - if it's still a go - deal with it!

From the description, I think it would be a "fun" quilt and very bright.

Now you know the difference in the business of quilting and the art of personal quilting. The business of quilting often turns out not to be fun, it's not meant to be. When you give someone their own color choice, it is your job to agree on a pattern, or pick a pattern that best works with the colors. That lack of fun is why quilter's prices reach four digit before the decimal point .
    Nothing beats a try but a failure.
    We all fall short of the mark.

I could weell be that cleint - totally too brave with colours. It usually work our, so don't fret. Rather too much colour than being stuck in dullness - for me anyway.

Here is an update - I have the quilt layout - she loves it - in fact I put it on my facebook page and several people love it and I had another order for the same quilt. Guess they told me - its not my kind of fabric - but if it makes her happy - I love it. Here ya go.

OtisName:  Elishatop.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  95.9 KB

Here is what the border will be - small black border with a large pink/black leopard border.Name:  borderElisha.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  132.2 KB

Here is the complete quilt top with borders.
    Name:  EKquilt top.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  112.4 KB

LOL...sometimes we need younger eyes to see new colors working together. I too my 15 year old granddaughter to the LQS last week and let her pick out something to make a new pillowcase for herself-teal, pink and zebra-I didn't say anything at the time but she sewed it together as soon as we got home and it looked so good together that she is going to make a collage on her bedroom wall with the same colors and I will be making her a quilt with those colors!
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

Not my colors, either, but when you put them together like that...downright exciting! Well done, and good for you for keeping an open mind!

Blog Entries
    I came across this only once. I had to keep biting my tongue not to say anything to offend her, but we got it done and in the end she loved it. The 'gaudy' fabric that didn't fit the color scheme of the quilt was used in the smaller pieces, and imagine our surprise when that fabric made the others around it just pop. Guess it belonged in there after all. As long as she was happy and excited about it, I felt I had to do what she asked, and did enjoy doing it for her.
    I don't see a problem with the colors and theme of the fabrics she likes. I think they will all go well together. Think outside of the box and the end result and it may surprise you big time. If that doesn't work, look at the smile on her face when she receives it.

Quilt top looks great! You took a step out of your comfort zone and look at the reward! I get in a fabric rut too and tend to pick out the same colors and shades. Maybe I need to go for a lime green every now and then just to mix it up and keep me on my toes!
    Emily

A fugitive from the Quilt Police

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2