Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt for dining room table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-dining-room-table-t275591.html)

rosiewell 02-13-2016 09:52 AM

I have been toying with the idea of making a quilt for my dining room table, I think you have just put a check on a plus side P-BurgKay. Thanks

pandamommy 02-13-2016 01:52 PM

hope this doesn't post twice I was in the middle of typing and it dissappeared. Was glad to s is ost. I was sitting at my table this morning thinking about making a table quilt for my table. I did see on another site where they took cotton kitchen towels and sewed together in rectangles for a tabblecloth. after sewing the seams they cut off the heavy hemmed edges with pinking shears so it wouldn't be so bulky. A nice inexpensive way to spruce up the table and would be washable. They used an assortment of red and white cloths. Think I will look for towels next time I'm in town as I don't have time right now for a complete quilt.

Terry in the ADK 02-13-2016 03:55 PM

I have to share a similar situation....I made a black and gray quilt for the bed in the computer room/guest room where we put guests coats when we have company. Problem is that our dog, Perry, a yellow lab/golden retriever, loves to sleep on the bed while we are working at the computer. What was I thinking making a black and gray quilt for her to lounge on!! I solved the problem with a sheet but then I couldn't enjoy the quilt.....soft clear plastic sheeting to the rescue!
Yes, it brings back the clear plastic slipcovers of the 50's, but Perry is happy! And I just remove it when company comes

Gail B 02-15-2016 07:22 AM

I use quilted table cloths on my kitchen table all the time. My daughter also uses them on hers. Neither one of us cover them with plastic & we do eat on them. Never had a problem with stains, just spray the stain before laundering. I use batting in ours & have never had a wine glass tip because of the batting.

citruscountyquilter 02-15-2016 11:29 AM

I use quilts on my regular eating table all the time. It is a round table that is not a standard size so I made quilts to fit it. If I'm serving something messy like spaghetti I use a place mat, otherwise we just eat on the table cloth. When it gets dirty I throw it in the wash like a regular table cloth. I used warm and natural for batting. Things don't fall over and it drapes nicely.

quiltingbuddy 02-15-2016 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7461744)
I put a clear plastic tablecloth over the quilt when we are going to eat on it, take it off when we are not. Yes, it's a bit tacky, but better than trying to get tomato sauce out!
I love the way a quilt looks on a table.

I have done the same thing when the kids still lived at home but now I leave it out all the time (no plastic these days). This is one of those made in China quilts that I got before I was sure I could pull off actually making a quilt myself (over 20 years ago). I don't feel like it would be a great loss if something happened to this one but it's a really cute log cabin in my colors so I love it. I'm the only one who knows it's a cheapie and it looks great. I say do it and enjoy.