Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt for dining room table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-dining-room-table-t275591.html)

lovelyl 02-10-2016 05:40 AM

Quilt for dining room table?

I have seen pics in magazines of quilts being used as tablecloths. Has anyone here done this? Any suggestions for a good block/pattern to use? Tips or tricks?
TIA

tapper 02-10-2016 05:47 AM

I have a quilt used a s a tablecloth on a round table. I did a Grandmother's Flower Garden. It is something over 70" in the round.

ManiacQuilter2 02-10-2016 05:53 AM

I don't have a dining room table in my small apt, but I wouldn't put any batting in it so it would drape better.

Stitchnripper 02-10-2016 05:57 AM

do you mean leaving it on while eating? Or just for display? I have considered doing that, but, would be afraid some greasy something would get on it and leave a stain. they do look pretty though.

redstilettos 02-10-2016 05:58 AM

I'm with Stitchnripper. I am a slow piecer, so they are work to me (love it, but still work). I'd be really afraid I'd get stains on it and then not be happy any longer. I'm also finicky as to not like plastic over the top, but I know for some that would be more than acceptable. It really is up to you :)

Geri B 02-10-2016 06:15 AM

I thing those in mags are only for show not go. I have tablerunners that use over tableclothes when serving a dinner, and one big round dahlia design ( bought at estate sale), that I'll put on top of tablecloth when dining room is not in use...removed if table is needed......just my way.

P-BurgKay 02-10-2016 07:32 AM

I have a quilt on my kitchen/dinning room table all the time. I put the same batting in it that I put in, either quilters dream or hobbs. If something gets spilled on it, ( this happens all the time), I wash them. I have several tablecloth quilts, and at least 3 cut out ready to piece and quilt. IMHO a quilt is made to be used, if they wear out, they get replaced. I am so proud, when I get asked to make another, because it is worn out, not abused, but worn out. So IMHO, yes, a quilt can be used on a table, for looks or for use, like mine are

rufree4t 02-10-2016 07:49 AM

I have one a friend made for me. It is for a round table in a lone star pattern. I have used it a lot and not had an issue with stains. If you treat them properly they come out. My only issue is that I have used it so much it is wearing out. My friend made herself more than one and used them as well.

Tothill 02-10-2016 08:18 AM

I have a friend who makes beautiful quilted table clothes. She has young grandchildren and knows they will need to be washed frequently.

Because of the frequent washing she tries to avoid sharp points in the quilts and serges the seams instead of sewing them. This helps the seams to stand up to the frequent washing. She does use batting.

PaperPrincess 02-10-2016 10:54 AM

I put a clear plastic tablecloth over the quilt when we are going to eat on it, take it off when we are not. Yes, it's a bit tacky, but better than trying to get tomato sauce out!
I love the way a quilt looks on a table.