Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt group challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-group-challenge-t229646.html)

GrannieAnnie 09-07-2013 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by DottyD (Post 6278524)
My quilt group has given us a challenge to make a 24" x 30" one block small quilt.
It can be any block you like - not necessarily a kaleidoscope one block wonder.
Because of the size - I wondered about a 6" log cabin - but what would you
do with that challenge ?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Sounds good. What layout would you use?

GrannieAnnie 09-07-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6278926)
Re: your log cabin idea

How about piecing a picture of a log cabin, in the middle of your log cabin block? By making the center picture rectangular, instead of square, you could easily obtain your 24" x 30", while keeping it just one block. Here's a block I made, years ago (for future sampler-type quilt). The block is actually square but I was holding camera at an angle, to eliminate a shadow. Anyway, you could make the center "picture" wider or taller, to turn it into a rectangle, then add as many rows of "logs" as you need, for size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]434507[/ATTACH]

Looks like a winner to me. You could do one log cabin and very easily adjust it to being a bit taller than wide.

Go for it.

GrannieAnnie 09-07-2013 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6278926)
Re: your log cabin idea

How about piecing a picture of a log cabin, in the middle of your log cabin block? By making the center picture rectangular, instead of square, you could easily obtain your 24" x 30", while keeping it just one block. Here's a block I made, years ago (for future sampler-type quilt). The block is actually square but I was holding camera at an angle, to eliminate a shadow. Anyway, you could make the center "picture" wider or taller, to turn it into a rectangle, then add as many rows of "logs" as you need, for size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]434507[/ATTACH]

And I love the ground sides and the sky sides. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!

GrannieAnnie 09-07-2013 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 6278725)
Think about the words in the challenge. You said it is "a one block quilt 24" x 30" . It does not say...make a small quilt using one quilt block design....what would you design if you made "one block" that was 24 x 30 size. I did a guild challenge one time that the theme was circles. Instead of manking a double wedding reig I did a piece showing the circle of life of the butterfly...the challenge only said circles. So think bout what the words say .

The way I'd intrepret "one block quilt" is that anything goes as long as its only one block. So you could do 3" block with a BUNCH of borders. Or one big 24 x30 block

Wonnie 09-07-2013 01:47 PM

How about an attic window?

Wonnie 09-07-2013 01:48 PM

Or a hanky butterfly with embroidered head and antenna added?

bearisgray 09-09-2013 04:49 PM

Did the directions mean that the block was to be 24 x 30

- OR -

did it mean to make a square block that could be as small as 24 x 24 or as large as 30 x 30 or somewhere in between?

GrannieAnnie 09-09-2013 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 6278725)
Think about the words in the challenge. You said it is "a one block quilt 24" x 30" . It does not say...make a small quilt using one quilt block design....what would you design if you made "one block" that was 24 x 30 size. I did a guild challenge one time that the theme was circles. Instead of manking a double wedding reig I did a piece showing the circle of life of the butterfly...the challenge only said circles. So think bout what the words say .

I guess I'm semi-illiterate but one block quilt sounds like a quilt that is made up of ONE block only. What ONE block would I make? Carpenter's wheel with borders to meaure out to 24 x 30

HOWEVER, the log cabin with a log cabin inside that is more rectangular than square is a fantastic solution,IMO

DottyD 09-09-2013 11:54 PM

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your kind replies- this is the wording from my grops website - re the challenge

Take your favourite block and make a small wall hanging with it.

Are you going to use it as it comes or flip it, enlarge or distort it, cut it up and re-arrange it, make it in a variety of different sizes, fabrics, techniques – just what are you going to do with it? The choice is yours! You can use any technique you like – hand or machine, piece it, appliqué, print, stamp, quilt it, layer & slash....

I thought I would try and do 6 inch log cabins and arrange them in a pleasing way - or hexagons ?
I did like your log cabin grannie annie. !
Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply !

DottyD 09-09-2013 11:56 PM

OOH and sorry left out 24" x30" inch portrait size.