Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt group challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-group-challenge-t229646.html)

GrannieAnnie 09-10-2013 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD (Post 6284370)
Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your kind replies- this is the wording from my grops website - re the challenge

Take your favourite block and make a small wall hanging with it.

Are you going to use it as it comes or flip it, enlarge or distort it, cut it up and re-arrange it, make it in a variety of different sizes, fabrics, techniques – just what are you going to do with it? The choice is yours! You can use any technique you like – hand or machine, piece it, appliqué, print, stamp, quilt it, layer & slash....

I thought I would try and do 6 inch log cabins and arrange them in a pleasing way - or hexagons ?
I did like your log cabin grannie annie. !
Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply !

Not my log cabin at all. I'm not that clever. I just love it for achieiving the 24 x 30.

These guidelines are quite different from the opening post.

GrannieAnnie 09-10-2013 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6278926)
Re: your log cabin idea

How about piecing a picture of a log cabin, in the middle of your log cabin block? By making the center picture rectangular, instead of square, you could easily obtain your 24" x 30", while keeping it just one block. Here's a block I made, years ago (for future sampler-type quilt). The block is actually square but I was holding camera at an angle, to eliminate a shadow. Anyway, you could make the center "picture" wider or taller, to turn it into a rectangle, then add as many rows of "logs" as you need, for size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]434507[/ATTACH]

Here's the log cabin in a log cabin and the original poster!

DottyD 09-10-2013 12:10 AM

I know - I didn't write the original details that well !!!!!!! ha.

GrannieAnnie 09-10-2013 12:54 AM

Okay, Dotty. Your challenge, as I read it, is to take your favorite block and "change it up" a bit. (my words!)

I'm still trying to sell Nessie's log cabin in a log cabin. How about making 4 blocks, each 12" wide and 15" long. Top row-------for winter & spring
Bottom row---for summer and fall
..............or however you want to arrange them

Nessie's block has darks making the "grass" and lights making the sky. To carry some consistancy, make the top row (and the bottom) mirror images, having both skys toward the center of the row and the grass the outsides.

MAYBE
snowy white on whites for the lights on winter, with a brownish, greenish grass, mabye with flecks of white to show snow.
For spring, a sky blue with a lot of white, and more lime green grass showing new life.
For summer, a bit brighter blue with plenty of white, and regular old grassy greens for the grass.
For fall, sky pieces with more yellow tones and then golden tan with bits of fallen leaf colors

For the log cabin itself, perhaps stay in the golden, woody tones. Each season's cabin could have a slighlty differnt tone-----------indicating different sun intensities. And make the chimneys slightly different dark reds.

In fact, I considered making 4 seasons hanging when I first saw Nessie's log cabin.

I think you'd be up for some award.

DottyD 09-10-2013 01:00 AM

WOW - that sounds absolutely fantastic !!! what inspiration you have put in my mind --- thank you thank you !

Holice 09-10-2013 11:03 AM

Just make sure you know exactly what "one block" means. A block with borders could mean medallion to some. I would ask for clarification before you make the quilt. Names can be tricky. One block could mean - a block of concrete, a block of wood, a crossing guard blocking the street. I would think if it means using one block design for the top, then that block must stand alone not part of a larger unit such as drunkards path. You can see from the many answers that it can mean many things,,but what do the rules say. Using 4log cabin blocks to show the seasons is using 4 blocks and not one block. See what I mean.

GrannieAnnie 09-12-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 6285300)
Just make sure you know exactly what "one block" means. A block with borders could mean medallion to some. I would ask for clarification before you make the quilt. Names can be tricky. One block could mean - a block of concrete, a block of wood, a crossing guard blocking the street. I would think if it means using one block design for the top, then that block must stand alone not part of a larger unit such as drunkards path. You can see from the many answers that it can mean many things,,but what do the rules say. Using 4log cabin blocks to show the seasons is using 4 blocks and not one block. See what I mean.

If you read the real DIRECTIONS which were posted later, you'll see the poster assumed a bit. She's supposed to use a block she likes to make a quilt--------------a block with some special twists and turns.