Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-magazines-t279211.html)

quiltbuddy 06-02-2016 09:15 AM

Quilt magazines

Just curious, what do you do with all your older quilt magazines? I'm getting ready to give many away since the clutter builds so quickly. They have great information that mostly never gets dated but I never remember where I saw it when I need it and I am not willing to take hours to look. Besides, you can pretty much figure anything out on the WWW. I've thought about tearing articles out and filing but I can never see that far into the future of what I might want.

Bree123 06-02-2016 09:46 AM

I keep some. I scan some of the articles if I'm getting rid of the magazine completely & add plenty of tags to them so I can find it when needed. And I tear some patterns out if I think I might use them in the future -- but honestly, I don't keep many patterns. I mostly just keep the articles showing techniques because I figure by the time I want the pattern, there will be an updated version of it that I would prefer.

Pennyhal 06-02-2016 09:54 AM

One of my quilting friends belongs to a quilting group. They are mainly older ladies and they do not subscribe to magazines. So I save them up and give them to my friend. The ladies love getting them.

Onebyone 06-02-2016 09:55 AM

I don't bother to look through them, if I did I would keep them all again. I take them to my guild's free table. I also take some to the hospital admissions waiting room. I think I may get someone interested in quilting.

OhCanada 06-02-2016 10:06 AM

I agree most quilting tips/techniques can be found online. I save my favourite uTube tutorials for easy look up.
I've given away most of my magazines and stopped buying them. I prefer to purchase a really great book occasionally.

ManiacQuilter2 06-02-2016 11:04 AM

We pass around a lot of quilt magazines in the two quilting group I belong to. I just scan onto my computer what I want to refer to later and then pass them onto another quilter.

Prism99 06-02-2016 11:22 AM

I am in the process of giving away all of my old quilting magazines to the library. Discovered that some of my collections are 20 to 25 years old! Hopefully the library can sell them at their Friends of the Library annual book sale. Some are a complete year's worth of magazines in a binder; others are loose.

DonnaPBradshaw 06-02-2016 11:44 AM

Oh no! does that mean getting rid of my beloved magazines are in my future? I wonder, is there quilting in the next life? If we don't need to sleep there probably is no need for quilts. What a bummer!

bj 06-02-2016 01:09 PM

I donated mine to the friends of the library. I don't subscribe to any anymore. They were overwhelming my space! (0:

bearisgray 06-02-2016 01:09 PM

I dislike getting magazines with missing pages.