Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt my own headstone??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-my-own-headstone-t138316.html)

wolfkitty 07-17-2011 12:31 PM

Patterns could be cut into the squares cut into the headstone. Seems doable to me!

frauhahn 07-17-2011 03:41 PM

Actually, when my sister died many years ago, my bil had a quilt etched into the headstone. So-it isn't too far off. . .

alikat110 07-17-2011 08:04 PM

LOL

fabric whisperer 07-17-2011 08:45 PM

thanks for the giggle... I may make one just to tease my family... then they just have to add the dates (hopefully many many years from now)

MadQuilter 07-17-2011 08:53 PM

Hm, I wonder if there are any urns with quilt patterns?

earthwalker 07-17-2011 09:52 PM

:)My son works as a Monumental Mason...they will put anything you want on a headstone. Recently a customer brought in an antique stove front which he wanted incorporated into a chapel for his wife's grave. The boys thought it was a bit odd at first. One made a comment that she couldn't leave the kitchen even once departed. The guy explained his wife was crazy about antiques, especially stoves and this was a portion of a really unusual find. I have seen ledgers (the flat top which goes over the gravesite, made to look like a bed with the covers folded back. Don't see why you couldn't do a quilt with mosaics.

BobbiSue2009 07-17-2011 10:02 PM

You may be referring to 'going away' quilts the older ppl had in their coffins. These were made by family. Daddy asked me to make one for him before he passed. I did and many yrs later I made one for Mama as well. Probably the hardest thing I ever had to do but it was done in love and with deep respect...... Has anyone on here ever done that for someone you love?
~~~~~~

Originally Posted by MisDixie
LOL, good one. There was a magazine out a few years ago that had an article on 'coffin quilts' with pictures and all, so I am sure the headstone will be next.

Edie 07-18-2011 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by MisDixie
LOL, good one. There was a magazine out a few years ago that had an article on 'coffin quilts' with pictures and all, so I am sure the headstone will be next.

My sister has instructions that when I pass this mortal coil, instead of spending money on flowers for my casket, it will be draped with my Memory Quilt. Flanking my casket will be the quilt my grandmother made for me, the one my mother made for me, our Anniversary quilt (50 years) and whatever ones I prize dearly and will then be passed on to our son and his wife and our grandchildren. I want a Christian burial, but there are some quilting things I want put in also.

I am not quite looking forward to this day, yet, but I used to work in a florist shop and I don't really want blown roses or old flowers for decorations! Send me a plant that will live for a while!!!!! It's not going to do me any good but it may be a remembrance for someone else (not that I am that memorable), but it is such a waste (altmii (at least to me it is). But I did love the idea of the coffin quilt. Edie

f rogers 07-18-2011 03:48 AM

when my brother past away last year and they were doing the headstone. they had a tractor engraved over his name as he was a farmer and a quilt block was engraved over my sIL's name. looks very nice.

#1piecemaker 07-18-2011 03:50 AM

Too funny!!!