Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt for my sis's cook top... and a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-my-siss-cook-top-question-t172986.html)

running1 12-23-2011 06:13 PM

Quilt for my sis's cook top... and a question

Hello all... my sister's cook top is on the North side of the house and vented... she's been using layers of newspaper and towels and it occurred to her last week to ask me to make a "quilt" for her cook top! I'm so excited to do this... she went to a few shops to purchase material and has already sent the fabric and it will be very special...
My question is... to keep out the cold (actually to keep the warmth IN) should I use two layers of batting? one layer of wool batting? two? Should I use the Insulated batting used for potholders? The quilt will be 29" x 39" approximately. She doesn't want a lot of puffiness... Help, please?

And Merry Christmas everyone!!

sharon b 12-23-2011 06:33 PM

Will she just be laying this on top the cook top ? I am having a hard time visualizing this, sorry :( My first concern would be starting a fire

lfstamper 12-23-2011 06:34 PM

I would definitely try to get fire retardant fabrics and batting.

jaciqltznok 12-23-2011 06:40 PM

sorry, I can not fathom the idea of putting fabric ON any cooking surface! Can you show us exactly what you are talking about/planning!

ghostrider 12-23-2011 06:50 PM

Yes, please give more details. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

If you are actually going to make some kind of covering for the vent hood opening which is logically where the cold air would be coming in, it might be smarter to cut a piece of foam insulation to fit the opening for her to pop in when not using the vent. There are all kinds of ways to make it snug and not drop out onto the cooktop.

LivelyLady 12-23-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 4806498)
sorry, I can not fathom the idea of putting fabric ON any cooking surface! Can you show us exactly what you are talking about/planning!

I can't fathom that either, nor the papers and towels that are being used. We definitely need more info.

moonwork42029 12-23-2011 07:00 PM

Is the vent on the wall? On the hood above the cooktop? On the back of the cooktop?

Anything you put on it should be fire resistant.

Depending on where it's located would depend upon the helpful hints you'd receive.

Tartan 12-23-2011 07:01 PM

Okay, is the little quilt for the vent the goes outside above the stove? My son has one for their stove but it is only about 12 inch square. I thought of doing one for his but wondered about fasteners and fabric. I thought of using the stuff that is silver (for ironing boards) and perhaps strong magnets under one layer of fabric on the back. The magnets would stick to the metal frame and should hold a tiny flame proof quilt to the frame. I haven't attempted it because I worried that the little quilt even with flame proof fabric may fall down on an unattended pot and catch fire? Perhaps if you did permanent fasteners? Maybe someone else will have some suggestions for you.

jad1044 12-24-2011 08:22 AM

The way I read this, is she is trying to keep out the cold air from the vented area behind the stove, right? I'd start on the outside of the house - wrap it with insulations and cover it with a heavy plastic sheet - secure it in place somehow (duct tape might work) around the vent - this time of year is hard to secure on the outside of buildings, but I'd not put anything on the wall behind the stove unless it was also securely placed; use thumb tacks to attach it to the wall, or even a fancy tape - or use moulding to "frame" it into place, but do not just hang it for fear of it falling onto the cooktop - regardless of how safety conscious you are, stoves do malfunction - very seldom, but it could happen none the less.. so I'd be fearful of causing even more destruction in trying to make it look presentable without securing it firmly in place... just a few suggestions that I can think of... but the idea of a "quilted" background is appealing none the less... good luck in whatever you wind up doing.

running1 12-24-2011 02:47 PM

Oh my, I realize I didn't give enough info... She just wants something to lay over the cook top when no one is in the kitchen. There are no children in the home, so I don't think she's worried about that. I'd thought about the flammability, but figured she knew what she wanted... I'll definitely share your suggestions!! Thanks everyone!!